Goniopora flower pot coral help

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goni's are... different. One may like an area of the tank, while another may not. I find that placing them in a med-low lighting area with med flow and just leaving them be is the best method. Some days I look at my goni's are they are open and happy. Other days they seem less happy and more closed. Still, LEAVE IT. Goni's along with most corals will acclimate. As long as the polyps aren't getting blown around too vigorously they will adapt.

As for feeding. You don't need to feed that much in my opinion. I feed my 20 gal tank 1-2 times a week. I alternate between a few different products. Reef Chilli, Seachem Zooplakton, and aquavitro fuel. You do need to feed goni's but I generally just broadcast feed.

Here you can see my little garden to the left of my big green hammer.

IMG_0082.jpg

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goni's are... different. One may like an area of the tank, while another may not. I find that placing them in a med-low lighting area with med flow and just leaving them be is the best method. Some days I look at my goni's are they are open and happy. Other days they seem less happy and more closed. Still, LEAVE IT. Goni's along with most corals will acclimate. As long as the polyps aren't getting blown around too vigorously they will adapt.

As for feeding. You don't need to feed that much in my opinion. I feed my 20 gal tank 1-2 times a week. I alternate between a few different products. Reef Chilli, Seachem Zooplakton, and aquavitro fuel. You do need to feed goni's but I generally just broadcast feed.

Here you can see my little garden to the left of my big green hammer.

IMG_0082.jpg

Yes. I have cut back to feeding only a couple times a week with phytoplankton and once with red sea AB . I find the phytoplankton feeds pods and helps with nuisance algae. What's the longest period yours stayed closed up?

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I have cut back to feeding only a couple times a week with phytoplankton and once with red sea AB . I find the phytoplankton feeds pods and helps with nuisance algae. What's the longest period yours stayed closed up?
When I first placed them in the tank some wouldn't open for a few weeks. Just a couple of polyps peaking out. Now, sometimes they will close randomly for a day maybe two.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first placed them in the tank some wouldn't open for a few weeks. Just a couple of polyps peaking out. Now, sometimes they will close randomly for a day maybe two.

Took it out and dipped it. Still seems to have life in it. I put it on the sandbed this time to see if that has any positive affect. Has not opened for like 3 weeks now but always gives the appearance that it wants to open as the lights come on in the morning.

ncjeepguy75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also wondering the same about mine... Mine is 9 months old and is not opening/extending as it was a month ago...I have included a pic also...The only thing that changed about 3 months ago was my lighting...I am now using 2 Viparspectra 165w running blue 80% and white 20%...I broadcast feed Reef Nutrition Phytofeast, Benereef, and Reef Roids several times a week...I currently have it in the sandbed in a lower flow/dirtier corner of the tank where there is less fish activity and food tends to collect...I have placed it in less light, more light, more flow, less flow to no avail...I don't see any pests or algae attached to the skeleton...Might it be worthwhile to do a mild iodine dip?...

My tank parameters are below and have been like this for the last 6 months or so:
Temp: 80.3F
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 2 (fluctuates between 2 and 5)
Salinity: 37 ppt / 1.027 sg
pH: 8.3
Phosphate: .14
Alkalinity: 10
Magnesium: 1600
Calcium: 475

I drip kalkwasser 5 drips per minute = 1/2 gallon per day

Attachments

• goniopora.jpg
    goniopora.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 49

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back