Goniopora Flower Pot Coral Show-Off Thread

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New member here! :yo: I didn't see a show-off thread for goniopora, but hopefully there are enough of us succeeding with flower pot corals to warrant one, because I would LOVE to see more of these! Here's mine:

DSC_3495.jpg

DSC_3489a.jpg

Made this close-up pic my screen saver. :love:
It's a bit pinker than it looks in person; I'd say the true color is halfway between the pink in close-up shots and the red you see in my FTS:

DSC_3399.jpg

I don't know which species I have, but it's defied the difficult label these carry, since I do nothing special for it. I have low to medium flow in my tank and broadcast feed once or twice a week. I see it catch food each time, but I don't make any effort to target feed.

I bought it as a tiny frag in a local shop about a year and a half ago:

DSC_9179-.jpg

One of my best coral purchases to date! Anyone else have one doing well?

OP
OP
Flashy Fins

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
holy wellso! thats a big boy!!

Yeah, I love that one, too! It was one of my first corals, purchased from a wholesaler that was going out of business and opened up to the public to sell their remaining livestock. Forget what I paid per coral, but I know I walked out with that big boy, 2 other types of brain corals, a coco worm, a bar of cyclopeeze, and $30-40 worth of reef books for just over $150. It was a very good day!

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my ORA Red Goniopora that I've had for at least a year or more.
My pair of Percula Clownfish have adopted the coral as their new host after I removed the RBTA.

It started out as a small golf ball sized frag and has now grown to be about six inches in diameter when extended.

The most exciting thing right now is that the clownfish have a clutch of eggs on the base of the coral.

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended flow and lighting? I have purchased and kept gonis in the past with no issue but now that my tank is SPS dominate I can't seem to keep a frag of pink goni happy. It has been 3 months and I have no polyp extension as when purchased. No fish are picking on it and my duncan and euphyllia are fine and growing.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended flow and lighting? I have purchased and kept gonis in the past with no issue but now that my tank is SPS dominate I can't seem to keep a frag of pink goni happy. It has been 3 months and I have no polyp extension as when purchased. No fish are picking on it and my duncan and euphyllia are fine and growing.

I have my goniopora in a mixed reef with plenty of flow. I like to keep all of my LPS towards the bottom of the tank with moderate light.
I have had great success with this ORA goniopora, but I haven't had much luck with any wild caught specimens. Those tend to slowly wither away and die.
I have an avleopora coral that is recovering quite well in the same general location; moderate light and high flow.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple different angles of my flowerpot island! There are a couple more in there I didn't get a good pic of. Main ones are ORA red and the flowerpot package from gonzo.

IMG_2183.jpg IMG_2196.jpg IMG_2197.jpg IMG_2199.jpg

Your green one is an avleapora. Some still call it a flower pot but not a goniopora.

OP
OP
Flashy Fins

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some gorgeous specimens in this thread! I think mine is wild, but I wouldn't recommend looking specifically for a wild one, since the captive ones are easier. I did try a wild blue one once, but it never opened up for me, so I passed it on to a more experienced reefer. I know it opened in his tank, but not sure how it's done for him long-term. Seems like the blue and purple ones are especially tough for most people.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back