0   0   0
Bad picture and dirty tank but here is my collection some goni some alveopora
976bea231c128940c2ad8c5970c61009.jpg

Mesa fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a six inch green flower pot and now it about 8 to 10 inches. I don't have a picture right now, but I attach one latter. I got it for
20 bucks at my LFS (Local Fish Street, I live in Hong Kong so I have the advantage of the goldfish market). I gave it a entire pice of live rock to grow on. The rock is really flat so no coral glue needed! My naso tang seems to guard it which is kinda cool. I got them at the same time so that might explain it.

TheClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New member here! :yo: I didn't see a show-off thread for goniopora, but hopefully there are enough of us succeeding with flower pot corals to warrant one, because I would LOVE to see more of these! Here's mine:

DSC_3495.jpg

DSC_3489a.jpg

Made this close-up pic my screen saver. :love:
It's a bit pinker than it looks in person; I'd say the true color is halfway between the pink in close-up shots and the red you see in my FTS:

DSC_3399.jpg

I don't know which species I have, but it's defied the difficult label these carry, since I do nothing special for it. I have low to medium flow in my tank and broadcast feed once or twice a week. I see it catch food each time, but I don't make any effort to target feed.

I bought it as a tiny frag in a local shop about a year and a half ago:

DSC_9179-.jpg

One of my best coral purchases to date! Anyone else have one doing well?

Yay Cherany, looking good you coral whisperer!

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I went to the LFS over the weekend and wanted to buy something nice and big and that would sway around a bit with the current in my tank. I love the look the GSP makes when its gliding back and forth with the current. I picked up this goniopra without knowing much about it! (rookie mistake) I did some research after the purchase and found out that these can be tricky corals to say the least. Let's all cross our fingers and hope that this one stays happy and healthy. I will add that a couple of days ago, this bad boy swelled up to the size of a softball. Within 10 minutes it seemed back to normal with the tentacles all outstretched and seemingly normal. I did a little reading and for the most part i gathered that this can be normal behavior. Plus, i figured it was still doing whatever it needed to do to adjust to its new surroundings. I took a short video of it in my tank. Let me know if it looks healthy or unhealthy or in a bad spot in the tank. I have had no problems with it so far so I will leave it where it is at until I feel the need to move it.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice piece. Years ago i had bad luck with goni. Now like many have either found my errors or just newer crop is more healthy. I have several over 5-6 years. I have learned not to place mine directly on the sand bed. It seems to irritate the flesh if it is resting on it. This area will die off and keep receding. Time will tell about your current. They do not like alot and like it back and forth or random. Your tentacles are not out all the way. But it could just be acclimating. If they are still stubby looking i would decrease it. The right food is very important. I use a mixture of powers types. But i have a few that the polyps are so large they eat mysis.

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i was hoping i could place it up higher on my rocks somewhere but the water flow just seemed too high at the highest point which is really the only area flat enough to put this big ball of coral. i could turn my powerhead so it would make less flow on the one flat spot but all of the sand on my dsb would start to blow around and I can't be having that. If i see it start to have problems with being in the sand I may try buying 2 smaller powerheads instead of one large one and see if I can make something work there. The tentacles seem to like to retract a bit in the evenings but every day its back out and seems like its getting bigger with longer tentacles everyday. On a side note, my clownfish have finally started to get hosted by my anemone! It's been about 3 weeks since I got the anemone and I was wondering if they would ever pay attention to it. Now, if it would just stop receding into the rock at night everyone would be fine and happy.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed a flat rock under mine. As long the flesh is not near sand. As time goes on the sand shifts higher onto things. Polyps will retract at night. The tentacles there are 24 per polyp will get long, when feeding or just happy. The tentacles will also get a white or blue tip, which is the tentacle in sweeper stage. Power heads can be an issue in smaller tanks or if not on some type to wavemaker or speed control.

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly appreciate the feedback. I had not even thought about placing a flat rock underneath it. That just makes too much sense lol. I was mistaken and calling the polyps the tentacles. I still gotta learn all this fun reef keeping lingo. I may try and pick up a nice flat piece of rock from the LFS to stick underneath it if they have one to my liking. Would I be better off buying a piece of dry rock so I don't throw my sytem into a mini-cycle by adding another piece of live rock?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back