0   0   0
Clown goes to the goni during the day, the anemone at night. Lol

received_10211796879056240.jpeg

redlion1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings from England....there are some lovely examples here, i have just changed my addiction from SPS to focusing on goniopora now as i felt i wanted to do something different and i like a challenge..., i have had some success over the years growing a really nice red one with green & yellow centres with pink stalks, i have grown this from a small frag, its taken me 6 years to grow it to this size but it has gotten too big so i have started fragging it, his takes pride of place on my "goni bommie", excuse the top that i sliced off for fragging....... i have found this one to be very very aggressive, in fact its so aggressive brushing my bicep against the frag rack leaves me with a heavy rash for a week, its fine handling it normally but on softer skin its a real pain, still fragging it does allow me to buy some other nice pieces when they come up for sale, gonis of this standard dont come up very often over here and when they do it hurts the wallet....

IMAG1712.jpg

IMAG1831.jpg

The green base one was picked up a few months ago ...
IMAG0220.jpg

....and the purple & orange one was bought last week, i have high hopes for these new ones, fingers crossed.
IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings from England....there are some lovely examples here, i have just changed my addiction from SPS to focusing on goniopora now as i felt i wanted to do something different and i like a challenge..., i have had some success over the years growing a really nice red one with green & yellow centres with pink stalks, i have grown this from a small frag, its taken me 6 years to grow it to this size but it has gotten too big so i have started fragging it, his takes pride of place on my "goni bommie", excuse the top that i sliced off for fragging....... i have found this one to be very very aggressive, in fact its so aggressive brushing my bicep against the frag rack leaves me with a heavy rash for a week, its fine handling it normally but on softer skin its a real pain, still fragging it does allow me to buy some other nice pieces when they come up for sale, gonis of this standard dont come up very often over here and when they do it hurts the wallet....

IMAG1712.jpg

IMAG1831.jpg

The green base one was picked up a few months ago ...
IMAG0220.jpg

....and the purple & orange one was bought last week, i have high hopes for these new ones, fingers crossed.
IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0217.jpg
Very Nice!
Thanks for sharing

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a green flowerpot. I have it acclimating as I'm typing I wasn't aware of the difficulty in keeping these corals. I was going to do a bayer dip after its done acclimating. how should I go about this? is it the same process as other corals?

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a green flowerpot. I have it acclimating as I'm typing I wasn't aware of the difficulty in keeping these corals. I was going to do a bayer dip after its done acclimating. how should I go about this? is it the same process as other corals?

IME the single biggest determining factor in goniopora success is initial transport, handling and acclimation to a new tank. I believe that goni's get labeled as difficult because they are very susceptible to disease when stressed or injured. Once healthy and acclimated they are much more manageable. I used to do bayer dips on my goni's (as well as any other coral) but since loosing a few back to back I've stopped in favor of a soft toothbrush scrub down, visual inspection, and hope. Ideally I'd QT the frags for a while to make sure nothings funky. The reason being is that I've noticed with the past couple of frags I've picked up havent responded well to their dips. YMMV and good luck.

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME the single biggest determining factor in goniopora success is initial transport, handling and acclimation to a new tank. I believe that goni's get labeled as difficult because they are very susceptible to disease when stressed or injured. Once healthy and acclimated they are much more manageable. I used to do bayer dips on my goni's (as well as any other coral) but since loosing a few back to back I've stopped in favor of a soft toothbrush scrub down, visual inspection, and hope. Ideally I'd QT the frags for a while to make sure nothings funky. The reason being is that I've noticed with the past couple of frags I've picked up havent responded well to their dips. YMMV and good luck.
Thank you it does have four little brown spots on it. however, it was fully extended at the fish store and looks really healthy. is it ok ot lift out of the water to brush off and inspect? ive heard they a sensitive to air

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you it does have four little brown spots on it. however, it was fully extended at the fish store and looks really healthy. is it ok ot lift out of the water to brush off and inspect? ive heard they a sensitive to air

Are you able to get a picture of the spots? They could be many things, my biggest concern would be if its tissue damage along the ridges separating the individual polyps. That tissue recession has been very hard to stop in my experience. As for exposure to air, I dont recall it ever giving me trouble just keep it reasonable.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d need something without all the blues and closer if possible but if it is damaged or missing tissue keep an eye on it. If it starts receding pick up some iodine and dip it.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been collecting different types of Gonis for awhile now. I missed out on a large hot pink Goni about 2 years ago and used to have this encrusting blood red small polyps but super extended sweepers. Owned it twice and lost it to ice storm and stung by another coral respectively.

IMG_7294.JPG

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what to do about this. Zoas moved and took over the goniopora’s rock. It’s fully covered most of the time but is able to peak through every day. It’s a survivor.

ee65aac6d376dbf7ae2fa8c08dbaa6be.jpg

I would cut and remove the Goni the soonest as the Zoas will eventually smoother and kill the Goni. It happened to mine ...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back