Goniopora Flower Pot Coral Show-Off Thread

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No special care or feeding is provided for these magnificent creatures to thrive once acclimated to home aquaria. My tank is primarily SPS tank so I would say SPS quality water chemistry and random flow has helped them grow from tiny frags to over a foot. SPS quality includes:
- Maintaining stable alkalinity
- Maintaining 4-5 PPM nitrate
- Keeping phosphate low. Mine fluctuates between 0.04 ppm to 0.06 ppm
- watch out of heavy metals and dose iodine if low

Ocean collected Gonis take time to adjust to home aquaria. Any new Goni bought from vendors, goes through loss of color and take over 18 months to fully color up. A good percent of newly acquired frags die and hence success will depend a lot on length of growing in captivity.

Hope that was helpful.

Sam

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No special care or feeding is provided for these magnificent creatures to thrive once acclimated to home aquaria. My tank is primarily SPS tank so I would say SPS quality water chemistry and random flow has helped them grow from tiny frags to over a foot. SPS quality includes:

Ocean collected Gonis take time to adjust to home aquaria. Any new Goni bought from vendors, goes through loss of color and take over 18 months to fully color up. A good percent of newly acquired frags die and hence success will depend a lot on length of growing in captivity.

Hope that was helpful.

Sam

Thanks for the insight. How about flow since you have a sps dom system how much flow do they get in your tank?

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I’m inspired. I clearly recall in the not so distant past how goniopora and alveopora were all but impossible to keep for any extended period. I remember making a huge breakthrough getting a feeding response with DTs oyster eggs, which I’m pretty sure is no longer, but still no long term success. I may have to try one of these out. What a perfect space filler for down low where acros won’t grow!

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! I’m inspired. I clearly recall in the not so distant past how goniopora and alveopora were all but impossible to keep for any extended period. I remember making a huge breakthrough getting a feeding response with DTs oyster eggs, which I’m pretty sure is no longer, but still no long term success. I may have to try one of these out. What a perfect space filler for down low where acros won’t grow!

Thank you for your kind words.
Also, my family and friends like these swaying moving things WAY more than the colored stones (sticks) :)

sam

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A simple green/yellow one.

20180704_124059.jpg

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got two gonis very early on in my tank setup. The green has looked great since day one.

Took me quite some time to find a happy spot for the zombie eye. Now it finally is growing with nice extension

20191115_182922.jpg 20191115_182813.jpg

Longthin85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hope that was helpful.

Sam
Hello do you sale Goniopora can you text me 4803527468 thank u

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be my favorite thread ever...I feel like I’m home! My entire focus as a reefer for the past 6 months has been on keeping this Goniopora Stokesi.
7E2A5CC9-3B54-40FE-A8A3-4F17B9EC20A3.jpeg
BB0A917F-89ED-42EF-8A15-CEC9A904C0EC.jpeg
BF2F2F77-D456-4477-A935-3B5B47655B91.jpeg

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all.
I am from Israel and new to the site.
Gonis are my favorite corals, but I had a couple of bad experiences. Now I understand that I had Stokesi, whose survival rate is not very high.
My local dealer has two red gonis in his tank for 2 years. Tank without sand, ULNS (Korallen-zucht) with 90% SPS corals. He generally does not feed anything, except for the Coral-Vitalizer a couple of times a week. I think that red gonioporas are photosynthetics; I cannot explain their survival otherwise in ULNS.
I also have ULNS, but on products from Tropic Marine.
In August, he brought 2 small frags from Austria, both red, one in the middle green, and the second blue.
In addition to the Coral-Vitalizer, I also feed my corals with reef rods. I have 60% SPS, 40% LPS.
80 gallon tank.
Good luck

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you guys feeding your Goni's (if anything specific)?
Are you target feeding or broad cast feeding?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you guys feeding your Goni's (if anything specific)?
Are you target feeding or broad cast feeding?
I feed my tank phyto feast, then oyster feast, and sometimes reef roids. All broadcast. I also dose amino acids (Fuel).

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back