Goniopora (flowerpot corals) impossible? | Care recipes

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about flow. I was worried that I may have the flow too high, after watching, I am not as concerned. What would you consider good flow for these? Mine are definitely moving, but not anymore than is shown in the video and are fully extended. Is this a good sign that they are enjoying the movement? What spacing is needed between Goniopora's and Alveopora's? Thanks for all of this great information!

OP
OP
zzyz

zzyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not expert on Goni's, but we have 10-12 of them that are happy - and I did bring one back from the brink of death, but it took months. It's skeleton recession was worst than yours is showing from the photos. I put it in a low flow area, and kept my tank parameters really stable. I didn't target feed it - I just fed the tank. After a couple of months the polyps started coming out again, a couple months after that, they started extending. I think you're just going to need patience and time, and really stable tank.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

OP
OP
zzyz

zzyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about flow. I was worried that I may have the flow too high, after watching, I am not as concerned. What would you consider good flow for these? Mine are definitely moving, but not anymore than is shown in the video and are fully extended. Is this a good sign that they are enjoying the movement? What spacing is needed between Goniopora's and Alveopora's? Thanks for all of this great information!
I have two in a low flow area, two in the medium flow and one in the high flow. All of them look good. I agree that they are enjoying the movement as you said. Spacing is species dependent. One alveopora is extending roughly 7-8 times the skeleton which is crazy. It's always good to leave sufficient space to start with, then adjust accordingly.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My strategy for goni's is to make sure I am only buying specimens that are the product of long term aquaculture, rather than chopped up wild specimens. Then they don't seem any more difficult than average.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back