Goniopora - I know, I know, should not have bought it

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a DIY recipe for Mn using KMnO4 which is dirt cheap and easy to get?

When I was a “lad” I used to dose this to my tropical fish to treat parasites. Worked wonders and did not seem to adversely affect the fish. I wish I had kept that amber bottle of KMnO4.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one I thought died so I threw it in the back chamber with my rubble rock. Well, a year later I was breaking the tank down and guess what? The dime size dead frag was the size of a golf ball. I moved it to the display part and it did fabulous.

I had one I thought died so I threw it in the back chamber with my rubble rock. Well, a year later I was breaking the tank down and guess what? The dime size dead frag was the size of a golf ball. I moved it to the display part and it did fabulous.
Wow! Was this an aio chamber you are speaking of? Was there any light or low light hitting back there?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue one from unique coral for over a year and doing great but I think it must be a mini I think they call them but it dosnt extend much and grows bushy! I have 4 others for different time lengths but none no longer then 3 months A pink one and a green that were both fully extended for about the first 3 days and havnt extended but about halfway since and a rainbow that hasnt extended at all since I got it now I am thinking of getting a red one and a pink and yellow!

I love them! LOL Just wondering if it is certain colors that do well and certain types? I know some grow bushy like the blue one I have that is doing great! Its not very pretty though being it dosnt extend! I see so many for sale on ebay and notice a lot dont have pics of them extended even! I am going to stay away from those from now on!

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a green gonipora I picked up. tiny frag of a few polyps. I had it on my frag rack for a while thinking I'd give it a permanent location when it grew. But it didn't grow, it was down to one tiny polyp. So, I glued it to a low flow, lower light area at the bottom of my tank (that was a few months ago). The polyp is still there and there's two tiny polyps next to it now and possibly a fourth growing in. The polyps are so tiny, I'm talking probably less than a 1/16" of an inch in diameter. They wouldn't register on a tape measure, not much larger than the ruler lines. The only reason I can still see them is because of how vibrant green it is. So, now it's got three tiny polyps, all barely visible. I'm hoping maybe in a couple years the polyps will be inches long and thick like a normal goni. It's my under dog frag... I'm rooting for the little guy. I'm dosing trace elements. I've read goni's need manganese. I had no trace elements (ICP test) using basic IO water. So, I've since switched to reef crystals and dosing Red Sea A, B, C, and D weekly which includes some manganese. My phosphates are around .08 and nitrates around 22. So, water should be perfect for the poor guy. Maybe why it's got two new polyps in the last few months.

I'm hopeful for mine, but tagging along. I don't know what else to give the guys. Target feeding my tiny polyps would kill them. I'm feeding a little reef roids (broadcast feeding) once a week hoping that some micro fauna make it into the tiny mouths.

I wish it would start growing longer and thicker. Time will tell.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had 2 green goniopora. I had a fantasy about a carpet of them. I bought 4 more. Within 4 weeks the 2 old ones were dead. They are tricky - and my guess have different pathogens - based on where collected - and the light.

Back