Goniopora infected and losing tissue?

Mamn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently bought 2 goniopora. One is doing well and fully extended however the other has partially extended but most of the time is open but not extended this morning I have noticed that it has lost a polyp overnight. I have attached a picture of it normally and a picture now. It appears to me the skeleton is turning brown can you please advise on the best course of action for this Goni I love its color.

I also have a small amount of Dinos going on, which I am hoping to correct.

Parameters:

All test except for phosphate is Salifert.
Salinity: 1.025
Alk:8.3
Calcium: 445
Magnesium: 1470
Nitrate: 0ppm
Phosphate: 0

Thanks Reef2Reef

PXL_20201112_030020552 (1).jpg PXL_20201119_182113041.MP.jpg PXL_20201119_182107641.MP.jpg

Last edited:

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dealt with this multiple times. Take a turkey baster and blast the brown region and see if the tissue is actually dying back. If it is, it's time to get serious. The most effective remedy that I have tried is H2O2 dip for 5 mins. I use 3% H2O2 and do like a 1:4 ratio with saltwater. In the dip, use a turkey baster to blast the parts that are melting away and let it sit. Your goni will look super ticked over the next week or so, but I have been able to save mine and stop any further tissue recession. If one dip isn't enough and the tissue continues to melt, you can do another dip. Of course, you need to make sure the ultimate problem that caused it is resolved or it will just come back.

OP
OP
M

Mamn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dealt with this multiple times. Take a turkey baster and blast the brown region and see if the tissue is actually dying back. If it is, it's time to get serious. The most effective remedy that I have tried is H2O2 dip for 5 mins. I use 3% H2O2 and do like a 1:4 ratio with saltwater. In the dip, use a turkey baster to blast the parts that are melting away and let it sit. Your goni will look super ticked over the next week or so, but I have been able to save mine and stop any further tissue recession. If one dip isn't enough and the tissue continues to melt, you can do another dip. Of course, you need to make sure the ultimate problem that caused it is resolved or it will just come back.
Hey thanks for you comment, it has spread significantly since yesterday so im going to get serious. Would it be feasible to cut away the dying tissue and then dip or would that be too drastic?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Look underneath for any eggs or bugs
I personally don’t like them on the bottom as sand can get on them
Moderate light and water flow and occasional feedings is mainly what’s needed

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for you comment, it has spread significantly since yesterday so im going to get serious. Would it be feasible to cut away the dying tissue and then dip or would that be too drastic?

I haven’t had to cut away the dying tissue. Usually the peroxide and turkey basting sanitizes and seals the site.

OP
OP
M

Mamn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had to cut away the dying tissue. Usually the peroxide and turkey basting sanitizes and seals the site.
I turkey basted it after removing it from my tank and it was too far gone :/.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%

Back