Goniopower vs Reef Chili for Goniopora and Alveopora

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

Just picked up a couple Goniopora and Alveopora, never had em before. I currently broadcast feed my tank BRS Reef Chili, any reason to pick up some Goniopower?

Justin Credabel is an expert on gonis but the ingredients just say "zooplankton". BRS Reef Chili has zooplankton.

Thoughts? Experiences/preference?

Thanks!

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I've used reef chili for years and have had great success with it so far....I also mix it into my frozen food. I seldomly target feed and pretty much just broadcast like you.

I've never used gonipower

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically the same stuff, different marketing. I used reef chili for a while and it worked fine. After I used it all I bought reef roids and I like the finer particles so I stuck with that. Reef chili is fine, no need to purchase a different brand unless you want to try something new.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadcast feeding sucks. You'll get much better response by target feeding (which sucks to do).

I mix BRS Reef Chili in with my fish foods. Fish don't like it by itself, but mixed in with my food mix they love it.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadcast feeding sucks. You'll get much better response by target feeding (which sucks to do).

I mix BRS Reef Chili in with my fish foods. Fish don't like it by itself, but mixed in with my food mix they love it.
Your response sucks [emoji6]. I asked about goniopower vs reef chili for goniopora.

I only target feed chalices and that's with LRS or mysis. I'm not going to target feed each acro in my tank individually with a fine particle food when I can just dump it in and let the flow cover the whole tank. I've also never actually seen an acro eat anything, and I see no reason to target feed them. I primarily feed reef chili to maintain higher nutrients levels in my tank.

But again, asking about goniopora vs reef chili for goniopora.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do broadcast feeding (goniopowder and nutricell filter feeder food) twice or thrice weekly and my gonioporas are still kicking and growing. My dragon wrasse is constantly stirring sands, all the goodness of fish poops and detritus feeds the whole tank everyday. A healthy and happy gonios/alveos will expand daily. If they remained closed to the skeleton for more than 2 days, spot feeding is necessary. They don't like strong flow, in fact they like random low flow the most, medium lights and slightly dusty water.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much reef chili are y'all using to maintain goniopora? The standard daily dose on the bottle, less, or more? I had a goniopora frag that gradually dwindled with twice weekly feedings of reef chili (broadcast) at half strength. I now have a refugium with more nitrate/phosphate reducing power and am using the standard dose daily without problems, so I'm wondering if that would be sufficient

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do broadcast feeding (goniopowder and nutricell filter feeder food) twice or thrice weekly and my gonioporas are still kicking and growing. My dragon wrasse is constantly stirring sands, all the goodness of fish poops and detritus feeds the whole tank everyday. A healthy and happy gonios/alveos will expand daily. If they remained closed to the skeleton for more than 2 days, spot feeding is necessary. They don't like strong flow, in fact they like random low flow the most, medium lights and slightly dusty water.
Thanks boss. I feed my tank heavy with frozen 3x/day, kz Pohls coral vitalizer 1x/day, brs reef chili 1x/2 days, and Acropower 1x/2 days. I also have some wrasse that stir the sand :) I use filter socks but there is ALWAYS food of some sort in the water column.

So far all alveopora and goniopora are extended looking happy so I'll just stick with my routine and spot feed if necessary based on your two day rule.

Never heard of the nutricell filter feeder food, I'll check it out.

Thanks boss

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks boss. I feed my tank heavy with frozen 3x/day, kz Pohls coral vitalizer 1x/day, brs reef chili 1x/2 days, and Acropower 1x/2 days. I also have some wrasse that stir the sand :) I use filter socks but there is ALWAYS food of some sort in the water column.

So far all alveopora and goniopora are extended looking happy so I'll just stick with my routine and spot feed if necessary based on your two day rule.

Never heard of the nutricell filter feeder food, I'll check it out.

Thanks boss

You are welcome. By the way, "thanks boss" is very localized way of addressing somebody in my place. Are you from somewhere in my state?.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome. By the way, "thanks boss" is very localized way of addressing somebody in my place. Are you from somewhere in my state?.
Haha really? That is very interesting. If you are from Malaysia I am not, born and raised in the USA. It is also common in some areas of the US. I am from New Jersey originally but have lived in Virginia, Washington D.C. and North Carolina. Not sure where I picked it up!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back