Good all around test kit?

dross9615

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s a good all around reef test kit? I am concerned my lfs is not using a clean kit. They tested my water after a week of cycling my 32.5 with 20 lbs of seeded live rock and adding stability every day. And my water parameters were showing (API test kit):

Ammonia - 0.25 ppm
Nitrite - 1.0 ppm
Nitrate - 20-40 ppm

This is also after starting out with a single 1/2” clown and 3 snails and they weren’t even added until day 3. yes, I know bad move but I figured with seeded media and live rock it wouldn’t be a problem. Anyway, I’m new to the reef thing but I just can’t see it being that bad off. I have been feed about a thumbtack sized amount every other day as well. Also I have added 10 more pounds of seeded live rock. Since the test

I have also added copepods and phytoplankton since the last test.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea and salifert are both affordable and good but I’d highly recommend Hanna for alk and ULR P04. The ease and accuracy is worth every penny and reagents aren’t too expensive either

OP
OP
D

dross9615

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Red Sea. Don't add any more animals until Ammonia is 0 or you might see more losses.

By the way, welcome to R2R.
Thanks for the welcome! I will not add anymore animals. I was just used to freshwater and honestly expected it to be cycled with all the seeded media and rock I used. Rookie mistake, (I mean I am a rookie to reefs) I should have checked the parameters before assuming. Fortunately, knock on wood, I have not lost anything in the tank, snails and "nemo" are all eating and acting normal. I just worry about the clown getting stressed because though its full of rock, he doesn't really have any good hiding spots. But it seems to have acclimated well otherwise.

Red Sea and salifert are both affordable and good but I’d highly recommend Hanna for alk and ULR P04. The ease and accuracy is worth every penny and reagents aren’t too expensive either
I have looked at the Red Sea, havent heard of the salifert. Question, how necessary is the magnetic stirrer? Don't want to fall for it if it is just a gimmick.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert for mag , cal , nitrate ,
Hanna for alk , ulr phosphorus ppb
Ammonia , I have only used API and only when cycling .
just to know there is ammonia .

I bought the Hanna nitrate test but haven’t used it yet

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome! I will not add anymore animals. I was just used to freshwater and honestly expected it to be cycled with all the seeded media and rock I used. Rookie mistake, (I mean I am a rookie to reefs) I should have checked the parameters before assuming. Fortunately, knock on wood, I have not lost anything in the tank, snails and "nemo" are all eating and acting normal. I just worry about the clown getting stressed because though its full of rock, he doesn't really have any good hiding spots. But it seems to have acclimated well otherwise.

I have looked at the Red Sea, havent heard of the salifert. Question, how necessary is the magnetic stirrer? Don't want to fall for it if it is just a gimmick.
I use Red Sea for calc and salifert for nitrate and mag. I don’t have a magnetic stirrer for anything. You really only need it if you’re dosing something that will settle and only dosers that are out of my price range can add on that attachment lol

OP
OP
D

dross9615

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea for calc and salifert for nitrate and mag. I don’t have a magnetic stirrer for anything. You really only need it if you’re dosing something that will settle and only dosers that are out of my price range can add on that attachment lol
Good to know, just trying to save money where I can. My wife already wants to kill me.

Though right now I am putting together a list of things that I need and want so we can keep a realistic budget.

What about for DkH
Salifert for mag , cal , nitrate ,
Hanna for alk , ulr phosphorus ppb
Ammonia , I have only used API and only when cycling .
just to know there is ammonia .

I bought the Hanna nitrate test but haven’t used it yet

I want to get the hanna testers for sure but they may have to come into play once I have more of a need for regular testing.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, just trying to save money where I can. My wife already wants to kill me.

Though right now I am putting together a list of things that I need and want so we can keep a realistic budget.

What about for DkH

I want to get the hanna testers for sure but they may have to come into play once I have more of a need for regular testing.
Dkh is alkalinity, that’s where I would go with Hanna. I’ve never tried the other ones with alk so I can’t speak on that. I definitely feel you about playing on a budget

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What about for DkH

Depending on what you plan on stocking .
mid say alk , ph , nitrates , phosphates are the main tests .
Once you add corals you can add cal , mag , to the testing Arsenal

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I use salifert test kits and a refractometer

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is kinda quick and dirty. On ALK for example, it is within 1 DKH which is pretty crude.

Bulk Reef Supply has you tube videos where the compare the various common test kits by parameter: ALK, Ca, Mg, and so on. These can be good to watch because the give you some idea of the kits and how to use them before buying them.

My Experience:

Ammonia - API tends to give a low reading when it is actually 0. I have used Red Sea and it was fine. But I only did this routine once because after I cycled my tank, ammonia just was not an issue ever.

Nitrite: Red Sea and see above.

Nitrate: I like Red Sea Pro (a bit pricy. Salifert is similar and far less expensive. API drives me nuts distinguishing the color changes.

ALK: I find that Red Sea Pro plus or minus .2 DKH, Salifert plus or minus .3 DKH and Hanna plus or minus .1 DKH all work fine. I use all three and oddly enough the vaunted Hanna seems to vary as much as the other two. For price go with Salifert.

Calcium - I use Red Sea Pro. I bet Salifert is fine. Hanna has a not great reputation here.

Magnesium - I tried Red Sea Pro and it drives me nuts. I have had good consistent luck with Salifert. It is something I test rarely because water changes maintain my Mg levels.

Phosphate - There are only 2 hobby grade tests that are sensitive enough to be worthwhile: Hanna Phosphate ULR and Hanna Phosphorous ULR. The phosphorous is more sensitive (detects lower levels of phosphate so I go with it). A warning, sometimes I get a big high reading with this test. I think a bit of phosphorous rich nutrient gets into the sample. If I were really fanatical, I would run my sample through some filter paper first. But I don’t.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert for everything if you are ok at judging colours or colour changing, if not then Hanna ulr phos and Hanna alk for the digital readout, the Hanna test kits are no more consistent/accurate than salifert, just they have a digital readout.
If you are happy reading colour/colour change then stick with Salifert.

OP
OP
D

dross9615

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API is kinda quick and dirty. On ALK for example, it is within 1 DKH which is pretty crude.

Bulk Reef Supply has you tube videos where the compare the various common test kits by parameter: ALK, Ca, Mg, and so on. These can be good to watch because the give you some idea of the kits and how to use them before buying them.

My Experience:

Ammonia - API tends to give a low reading when it is actually 0. I have used Red Sea and it was fine. But I only did this routine once because after I cycled my tank, ammonia just was not an issue ever.

Nitrite: Red Sea and see above.

Nitrate: I like Red Sea Pro (a bit pricy. Salifert is similar and far less expensive. API drives me nuts distinguishing the color changes.

ALK: I find that Red Sea Pro plus or minus .2 DKH, Salifert plus or minus .3 DKH and Hanna plus or minus .1 DKH all work fine. I use all three and oddly enough the vaunted Hanna seems to vary as much as the other two. For price go with Salifert.

Calcium - I use Red Sea Pro. I bet Salifert is fine. Hanna has a not great reputation here.

Magnesium - I tried Red Sea Pro and it drives me nuts. I have had good consistent luck with Salifert. It is something I test rarely because water changes maintain my Mg levels.

Phosphate - There are only 2 hobby grade tests that are sensitive enough to be worthwhile: Hanna Phosphate ULR and Hanna Phosphorous ULR. The phosphorous is more sensitive (detects lower levels of phosphate so I go with it). A warning, sometimes I get a big high reading with this test. I think a bit of phosphorous rich nutrient gets into the sample. If I were really fanatical, I would run my sample through some filter paper first. But I don’t.
So, I am thinking, I will pick up the hanna phosphate and ALK, and just grab a red sea kit? sounds like a solid short term solution to me.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am thinking, I will pick up the hanna phosphate and ALK, and just grab a red sea kit? sounds like a solid short term solution to me.
That is basically what I use. I do use salifert for nitrate because I like the option to look two different ways through the vial to get different scales. Also, an ammonia reading of .25 on api is pretty common even if your ammonia level is 0. My tank has been up for close to 2 years and I still read .25 on ammonia with it.

As for you saying your wife wants to kill you, take my word for it that won't get better.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back