"GOOD" Aquarium Photos & Video: How important is it to you in the hobby?

Is it important to you to be able to take GOOD photos or video of your aquarium

• Yes, I want to take really good photos/video. (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 186 58.1%
  • Somewhat, but it's more about documenting than it is anything else.

Votes: 95 29.7%
  • Not at all, I don't care about the quality of the images.

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • I don't really care about taking photos or videos of my tank.

Votes: 30 9.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always like photography, but ever since getting into reefing, I am just obsessed with taking pictures. I started with just my phone and eventually plunged into real cameras. I absolutely love taking macro pictures.

I also feel like photography has made me a better reefer. I want to get the best coloration and health from my corals in order to take the best pictures. Macro photography also allows us to see into a world we would never see with our naked eyes. This appeals to me the most about macro photography.

ReefStash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think it adds value to others to be able to take good footage and images of our tanks. It's good for the hobby and industry. Anything that adds value to others is a plus.

I'd like to take my own content to the next level and use something other than my phone. To date all documentation and content that I create for "ReefStache" has been from my phones. Pics, videos, graphics - all of it

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s great for showing off to others the beauty of the hobby. A blurry picture doesn’t show how nice it really looks.
Also great for documenting it for yourself, much nicer to look back at great photos than bad ones.

trsmith18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week we're going to be focusing on Photography and Videography for saltwater reef aquariums. The hobby within the hobby. The way you prove to everyone else you have some reefing skills! HA! Today let's talk about how important being able to take good photos of your aquarium is to you!

Is it important to you to be able to take GOOD photos or video of your aquarium and if so why or why not? Or maybe you don't even take photos or videos?

image via @TopShelfAquatics
1.png
I wish there was a sticky or explanation on how to take them on an iPhone.

I also see a lot of “dishonesty” with some photography. A lot of post picture production and modification on corals that have left buyers disappointed

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Documentation needs notwithstanding, capturing awesome shots of a tank we put so much time and effort into makes sense, yeah? I don't have the eye for it, perhaps not even the equipment - but I certainly try! :)

I've been battling dinos after largely treating for a phosphate spike over weeks and weeks. While non-hobbyists don't know that it isn't supposed to be there, I do. It makes me sad to see what is there now and also know what I've lost during this battle. The pictures remind me of what can be if I stick it out.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think it adds value to others to be able to take good footage and images of our tanks. It's good for the hobby and industry. Anything that adds value to others is a plus.

I'd like to take my own content to the next level and use something other than my phone. To date all documentation and content that I create for "ReefStache" has been from my phones. Pics, videos, graphics - all of it
And everyone loves @ReefStache content!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was a sticky or explanation on how to take them on an iPhone.

I also see a lot of “dishonesty” with some photography. A lot of post picture production and modification on corals that have left buyers disappointed
This works better for fish than coral, but I’ve had the best results when the tank is bright and the room is dark, with the camera flash on, and a dark background on the fish tank.

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's important to me to at least take serviceable photos. I have a Nikon D7200/macro setup, and while phone cameras do a decent job, there isn't a substitute (yet) for a proper speedlight/macro combo that I'm aware of.
That's not to say you can't get perfectly acceptable pictures with your phone; I do so all the time.
It doesn't help that both hobbies are similar in that they can be done easily on a budget but as soon as spare cash becomes involved then all sense goes out the window...
Hi , I have a D7000 and macro lense but always troubled with the quality of shots as i like the natural look of corals can you explain what you mean by speedlight and macro combo and which one .I have lightroom but never used it and just shoot in jpeg as im in my 70's lol.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still trying to figure out how to take decent photos of moving objects underwater and through glass all at the same time. It's basically rocket surgery. I commend those that can pull it off well.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love taking pictures of my tank. To me it's important for them to be very high quality. I like to look back and see where my corals and fish were to see how much everything has grown and how colors have developed. It helps me track the progress and health of my tanks as well.

20201228_163740.jpg
20210816_165100.jpg
20200420_171208.jpg
20211108_154345.jpg

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always like photography, but ever since getting into reefing, I am just obsessed with taking pictures. I started with just my phone and eventually plunged into real cameras. I absolutely love taking macro pictures.

I also feel like photography has made me a better reefer. I want to get the best coloration and health from my corals in order to take the best pictures. Macro photography also allows us to see into a world we would never see with our naked eyes. This appeals to me the most about macro photography.
what camera /lens you use? I am currently going in the same direction as you and currently looking into the sony's A7

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , I have a D7000 and macro lense but always troubled with the quality of shots as i like the natural look of corals can you explain what you mean by speedlight and macro combo and which one .I have lightroom but never used it and just shoot in jpeg as im in my 70's lol.
If taking macro shots, a powerful flash is recommended. For aquariums, photographing directly at the glass with a normal flash can cause excessive glare and washed out colors. For this reason, a cheap speedlight (just another name for Nikon's external flash) with a diffuser pointed at the ceiling gives better spread and reduces spotlighting and glare as the flash bounces off the ceiling and downward. If you have another brand just insert external flash name here.
Hope this helps.

delgado.anr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the art combination. The tank/reef design you create along with the corals/fish you choose. Adding the physical art you create along side the photographic art is just plain fun. For me it’s combining two passions of mine. It’s also a great documentary tool to follow the progression of your underwater world.

**attached are a couple pictures I took for my LFS, to thank him for all of his help.

D4CAA585-D2A2-4C27-AF9A-1748438F9D4E.jpeg 1EF56352-FC47-4C7D-9B60-A052F85639C0.jpeg

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3E4B0B0A-156D-4318-9FAF-ED6E8280D426.jpeg
97A04C08-FA8C-47C5-A1BA-E50F22F15A99.jpeg

Before orphek filter and after I got the filters showing pics of blue images to people then showing what they really look like is definitely beneficial.

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to post pictures of my reef tank to share the beauty with my friends. So, taking clear pictures and videos is important to me.

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I wish I took better pics than I do. I don't know the first thing about how to do it, and I'm not certain I want to drop gobs of money on the right gear. I do wish I could show off how rad the reef looks in a more effective fashion, however.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back