"GOOD" Aquarium Photos & Video: How important is it to you in the hobby?

Is it important to you to be able to take GOOD photos or video of your aquarium

• Yes, I want to take really good photos/video. (tell us why in the thread)

Votes: 186 58.1%
  • Somewhat, but it's more about documenting than it is anything else.

Votes: 95 29.7%
  • Not at all, I don't care about the quality of the images.

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • I don't really care about taking photos or videos of my tank.

Votes: 30 9.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the same a few months ago. Any tips or tricks on taking good pics of aquarium without using filters?
I take pictures with the tank and office lights on, then just adjust the white point in Adobe Lightroom. I'll probably need to get a macro lens at some point to take some closeups of corals.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Canon 70D, I have been after a micro lens for a while now.

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy taking pictures of the ever changing natural sunlight on my reef, I know I see the changes as the sun moves across the sky from sunrise to sunset. The lighting is ever changing. And yes I do post many, many pictures of the fish I keep. I might go overboard a bit posting the pictures though. Hi I'm Joe and it been two day since I posted a picture of my fish and reef on Facebook...
20220430_132036.jpg
20220430_132507.jpg

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I do have a fair amount of “throwaway” pics but I guess part of it is that I just like catching all the little things going on in this little watery world. AAAE0C2E-7A66-466A-892B-5D60529789F1.jpeg 24CE6566-3D95-409F-BCF1-3403D8F55455.jpeg 042A5B0B-9AC7-4DC3-8605-B2E928581725.jpeg

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have always loved photography. Did underwater as well. I got lucky when we were forced into digital to make us buy new equipment just like electronics, music ............. My original was a Pentax so I got to still use quite a few of my expensive lenses. I have a Pentax K-01 now and have found it very useful in the hobby, as well as on this forum. A lot of things get lost in translation, so I try to add a photo when it needs a clear explanation. I lie it for making a map of my par readings as well. As far as quality digital is an excellent format, as compared to film. Water is a tricky filter. In the old days you could burn an entire roll, and maybe get one good shot. Digital allows you to experiment for free. It is a nice feeling to get that one outstanding photo

Reefjockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a new tank recently and I would like to document the progress (or sadly, the decline) of some long researched and desirable corals. I know my current tank looks good imo, but it is always fun to show off a little. Of course this is a big part of the hobby today.

SHINYSuccubus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week we're going to be focusing on Photography and Videography for saltwater reef aquariums. The hobby within the hobby. The way you prove to everyone else you have some reefing skills! HA! Today let's talk about how important being able to take good photos of your aquarium is to you!

Is it important to you to be able to take GOOD photos or video of your aquarium and if so why or why not? Or maybe you don't even take photos or videos?

image via @TopShelfAquatics
1.png

feraco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I hope all is well. I recently released AI Reef Cam a iOS app to help with coral photography in the coral lab I teach in.

This app is helpful for photographing and blocking out blue light and creating custom filters.

It also give this the ability to measure light intensity in Lux and PAR-with your front camera. Lastly it has a machine learning fish Id feature. Here is a recent article about it. https://www.reef2rainforest.com/202...ters-windex-from-reef-tank-photos-and-videos/. If you would like a promo code to download just reach out.

Here is also a video showing you how to use it.

Chris99999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay tonight I just learned that "lens kits" are a thing. Do these really work/improve your shots for around 40 dollars? I have a Galaxy 10+.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay tonight I just learned that "lens kits" are a thing. Do these really work/improve your shots for around 40 dollars? I have a Galaxy 10+.
Kind-of... how is that for an answer? It really depends on your lighting sanario and how you use them. Yellow orange and brown filters all provide different results. I personally try to create the most life like photos possible. Some people go for the most pop or contrast.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as much as learning to use pro mode.

I have a lens kit that has an orange filter which does a good job at taking the blue out of the shots, but I also find that it drowns out the natural reds or magnifies reddish colors to an unnatural look. For example, what should be a nice pink, is a candy apple red...

Gel filters can make a HUGE difference in the photos we take, but they are limited. Take the time to read through the photography forum. You will learn a ton about what makes good photos from there in just a short time.

Here is a good video tutorial on using "pro mode" on a samsung phone...

There is a tutorial for Iphones that is stickied in the photography forum.

melfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I care enough to have a phone with a good camera (for a phone, I guess) and some lens filters, but not enough to pull out a DSLR. I want nice/true-to-life photos that are fun to take in the moment anda also to look back on and share, but they don’t need to be professional quality

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back