Good crab? Bad crab?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what this crab is but he came in on some live rock, and he has gotten huge in only a couple of weeks..im going to break the rock down to get him out I dont trust crabs unless they are vegans!

20220108_161757.jpg

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to intice it out/ catch it when you feed your aquarium life, even get up at 1am to catch when it's active
Before breaking down your aquarium

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to intice it out/ catch it when you feed your aquarium life, even get up at 1am to catch when it's active
Before breaking down your aquarium
Thanks the tank is getting an upgrade anyway filling it now. I've tried to catch it, he is very fast and hides very good, but I'd like to get it ill try to feed him food on a stick. Thank you

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP rock by any chance? Similar one. Gorilla crab or similar. Notice the pincers are pointy and dark in color.

You should be able to trap it easy enough. Just use a tupperware container and cut a hole just large enough for it to fit through. Zip tie a piece of fishing line to it. After lights out toss in a piece of raw shrimp and place near its last known location. Should have it relatively short order.

You can drill a couple small holes for water to enter, exit, and promote the aroma of the food along with a cube of frozen.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP rock by any chance? Similar one. Gorilla crab or similar. Notice the pincers are pointy and dark in color.

You should be able to trap it easy enough. Just use a tupperware container and cut a hole just large enough for it to fit through. Zip tie a piece of fishing line to it. After lights out toss in a piece of raw shrimp and place near its last known location. Should have it relatively short order.

You can drill a couple small holes for water to enter, exit, and promote the aroma of the food along with a cube of frozen.
Yes k.p

thats a good idea I need to do something and there is a pistol shrimp somewhere, so in the tank move i need to get them both out! I've heard of high salinity water to erge them to come out, do you know anything about that technique? I live close to the gulf of Mexico so thats where I was going to put them, I dont want to kill anything... thanks for the advice!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes k.p

thats a good idea I need to do something and there is a pistol shrimp somewhere, so in the tank move i need to get them both out! I've heard of high salinity water to erge them to come out, do you know anything about that technique? I live close to the gulf of Mexico so thats where I was going to put them, I dont want to kill anything... thanks for the advice!
If these aren't native to the Gulf of Mexico please do not release them into that environment. That's how invasive species take hold. :-( It could be illegal as well. See if someone will take them for free for their sump or something like that.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If these aren't native to the Gulf of Mexico please do not release them into that environment. That's how invasive species take hold. :-( It could be illegal as well. See if someone will take them for free for their sump or something like that.
Lol k.p rock comes from the gulf well south of me but still same waters.....I understand the concern but ocean life belongs in the ocean more than a glass cage so I am more comfortable putting it there. Thank you

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol k.p rock comes from the gulf well south of me but still same waters.....I understand the concern but ocean life belongs in the ocean more than a glass cage so I am more comfortable putting it there. Thank you
If it comes from the same area that's fine but I do know some places it's still illegal even if the creature comes from the area in question in case the creature has picked up a pathogen in your tank that is not native to the area. You don't do the environment any favors by doing that. All I'm saying is maybe check what's allowed in your area. I'm thinking of the bigger picture and if you believe that ocean life belongs in the ocean then why do you have an aquarium? Your statement makes no sense. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Get rid of it..... One thing is for sure. . . Regardless of type (which looks like anthrax), any with black tips on claws never a good thing

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes k.p

I do not know about the salinity, lower or higher or even fresh ro, trick. I just used a trap and caught everything. They are now in the refugium and overflow box respectively (gorilla and decorator type crab). All the red mitrax are in the display.

With regards to placing back into the Ocean all I can do is to recommend that you do not do this. There are many reasons why but in short:

1. cross contamination. Path was something like ocean to home display and then released back into ocean. Your system unbeknownst to you may have something that could spread in the wild. This alone is why it isn't recommended.

2. invasive species. I'm not sure what is collected where or what is, is not, native.

3. releasing back into the wild is typically against local laws and ordnances unless you are at the catch spot. Think sport fishing catch and release

I'm sure you have already thought of all of this but just throwing it out there in case you haven't. But to circle back KP great rock and use the trap. Should work out ok for you. Just takes a little patience and you should be good to go.

Hope you are having an amazing weekend.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Answer: Unfortunately, it is illegal to release any ocean finfish or shellfish from captivity back into ocean waters (Fish and Game Code, section 6400). Animals living in a fish tank or captive environment may have been exposed to foreign diseases and/or parasites and now carry them.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in black and white and in-between the lines google says to have it killed off....very disturbing and not the answer I was looking for... I wish k.p did not send so many hitch hikers, I won't say what I did with all the ones I found in the bag....I really wish they had a clean rock/no or little hiker option now! I think they could rid most of the hikers prior to shipping out their rock..

I'm actually sad about this now I hate feeling bad in this hobby its definitely NOT why I love it, I love everything about it, but this feeling

Thanks for the advice from everyone even Karen who was right first thanks all, sorry

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole point is hitch hikers?

(Pistol and mantis shrimps, and gorilla crabs no thanks)

What they are saying is the reason why hobbyists pay the premium for KP and TBS rock is the life that comes on it. The 6 month to 2 year head start for the Microbiome. A by product of using oceanic rock such as this are the possible hitch hikers. We receive both wanted and unwanted (as it relates to home aquaria) hitch hikers but it comes with the territory. That is all they are saying.

If it is not something one wants then the hobbyist has to make a choice if the rock is for them or how to mitigate it before placing the order. That is all. Most of the unwanted display hitch hikers can be managed or mitigated (trapped) within a short period of time and patience. A few or on rare occasion some may take a bit more effort. Just depends.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they are saying is the reason why hobbyists pay the premium for KP and TBS rock is the life that comes on it. The 6 month to 2 year head start for the Microbiome. A by product of using oceanic rock such as this are the possible hitch hikers. We receive both wanted and unwanted (as it relates to home aquaria) hitch hikers but it comes with the territory. That is all they are saying.

If it is not something one wants then the hobbyist has to make a choice if the rock is for them or how to mitigate it before placing the order. That is all. Most of the unwanted display hitch hikers can be managed or mitigated (trapped) within a short period of time and patience. A few or on rare occasion some may take a bit more effort. Just depends.
Thats great thanks for clearing that up....I was looking for your build thread or any pics of your reef, couldn't find any but tons of advice for me thanks I get the microbiome and all that I've been doing this for 20+ years, only thing I really needed was a critter i.d

I did post this in the correct spot right for critter i.d

Thanks all for some help and keep up your reefs, have fun with it!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great thanks for clearing that up....I was looking for your build thread or any pics of your reef, couldn't find any but tons of advice for me thanks I get the microbiome and all that I've been doing this for 20+ years, only thing I really needed was a critter i.d

I did post this in the correct spot right for critter i.d

Thanks all for some help and keep up your reefs, have fun with it!

Your doing great so keep up the great work.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back