Good Fit Anemones for Your Reef Aquarium?

Do you currently have an anemone in your reef tank? (aiptasia don't count)

• YES and it's going great

Votes: 273 58.0%
  • YES but I need to remove it for various reasons

Votes: 23 4.9%
  • NO tried it and it didn't work out good

Votes: 53 11.3%
  • NO not interested in anemones in my reef tank

Votes: 65 13.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 57 12.1%

• Total voters

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RFA's:
easier than most corals
prettier than most corals
more color variety than most corals
don't move and are unaggressive unlike most anemones

Is there any reason not to have them?
Only reason I can think of is that they don't host clownfish from what I read.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a giant carpet nem that I'm considering rehoming. While it hasn't moved since the day I put it in the tank, it has eaten a half dozen of my fish in the past year.
Thats my worry about getting a nem.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BTA may not be accepting the clowns as BTAs do not host Occelaris or Percula clowns in the wild. To my understanding they will only host Maroons, Clarkiis and some other species in captivity but not the Occ or Percs.
In the background it looks like you’ve got an Occelaris which is why the Nem is most likely not accepting the clown as a guest.
Ive read lots of people with Occelaris hosted in their BTA.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Think twice before you put an anenome in your tank. The sight of a clown fish pair frolicking in an anenome is awesome. Nothing says saltwater aquarium than that!
Then the anenome grows…then stretches….then stings the crap out of anything within a foot of it bc it can…. and it will!
So like everything in this hobby it’s all about planning for the future. I just want people to know the other side of this decision.
Thanks!
Thats my fear

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read lots of people with Occelaris hosted in their BTA.
Mine did however it’s not a natural host, personally I’d try find a magnifica or carpet to host clowns.

Or if you want an anemone that’s doesn’t get huge, doesn’t have a bad sting and doesn’t walk around too much, look into the mini maxi carpets. They get around the same size as the RFAs do and host inverts but unfortunately not clowns.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did however it’s not a natural host, personally I’d try find a magnifica or carpet to host clowns.

Or if you want an anemone that’s doesn’t get huge, doesn’t have a bad sting and doesn’t walk around too much, look into the mini maxi carpets. They get around the same size as the RFAs do and host inverts but unfortunately not clowns.
How long did it take for the bta to host the clowns? I'm waiting to see if my lta will host my clowns, I know it's not a given but it would be nice

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take for the bta to host the clowns? I'm waiting to see if my lta will host my clowns, I know it's not a given but it would be nice
It took my BTA a while (Mainly because the clownfish was acting blind and not seeing the BTA), I think once the clown found it it was Atleast a week if not two before the BTA accepted the Clown.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have two clownfish in this tank a bicinctus clownfish whose gotten so big over the last year and a maroon clownfish which i got as a juvenile. For sure the bicinctus was a female and i thought for sure the maroon would turn male but its still growing so im sure its female too had them both in total over 1 1/2 years.

They haven't tried to kill each other they each live in opposite ends of my 6 foot tank one has the LTA the maroon lives in the rock filled with BTAs.

IMG_1168.HEIC.jpg
IMG_1170.HEIC.jpg

cotofl02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have way too many nems. Love them all.
Here are a few all snuggled up and just chilling.

4B434D3C-AD57-40CA-9D41-067685D5D31B.JPG
Awesome shot! My tank is coming up on a year old and im looking at going Nem heavy. What type of anemones are these? Looks like 3 different types all huddled together. And how many gallons are you working with? Very cool!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome shot! My tank is coming up on a year old and im looking at going Nem heavy. What type of anemones are these? Looks like 3 different types all huddled together. And how many gallons are you working with? Very cool!
Mag, Haddoni, sebae, bta (very top left of pic), 3x gigs behind the mag.

This tanks had about 300 gallons total water volume (may have been more), was tied into another tank that was a mangrove/macro lagoon, had a sump full of KP live rock and has since been taken down. Nems are now in a 538g tank with a most of other things. Sadly, no more snuggles lol. They kind of just walked all over and stayed put.

I also have numerous nems in my 180 mixed reef. The link to that is my build thread badge under my name.

If you search "Possible Divorce Frag Build" on here, you can find the old thread from when that setup was going.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back