Good Fit Anemones for Your Reef Aquarium?

Do you currently have an anemone in your reef tank? (aiptasia don't count)

• YES and it's going great

Votes: 273 58.0%
  • YES but I need to remove it for various reasons

Votes: 23 4.9%
  • NO tried it and it didn't work out good

Votes: 53 11.3%
  • NO not interested in anemones in my reef tank

Votes: 65 13.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 57 12.1%

• Total voters

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my first BTA today (Rainbow)! Followed all the awesome advice scattered throughout the forum and hopefully it goes well. Put him near a spot on the top with a nice hole and after attaching his foot (did it immediately) he walked right into it after about an hour. Nice and bubbled up and seems settled in for now at least haha

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• C8CD742F-00EB-4B5A-9C76-358407D9AF80.jpeg
    C8CD742F-00EB-4B5A-9C76-358407D9AF80.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 55

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm strongly considering picking up my first tonight. My lfs got in some gorgeous rainbow BTAs this week that are super tempting.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have them at a base of a rock or on the sand bed? I CAN NOT get mine to attach or stay anywhere!! Driving me CRAZY!!!
I’d try find an anchor in the rock you can hold it into.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised there isn't a survey option of "no, but i would in the future".

I think bubble tips are probably the best choice. Some of the cheaper anemones work great but can get enormous, and a few others require specialized care when imported from the wild. I would consider adding an anemone to my next build, but with my current 50g having most spots already taken up by corals, I wouldn't want to risk an anemone "walkabout".

Last edited:

JoeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted “other”. It’s complicated.

I love BTAs and sebae anemones, but they are more trouble than they’re worth in a high-density SPS tank, where limiting risk is the way of the walk.

They are valuable addition to a softy tank, where an anemone’s unexpected/unwanted move doesn’t potentially ring up a three-figure bill in losses.

I’m tempted to try a RFA because my Picasso clown pair has nested and laid eggs on my back glass and they look sad.

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love BTAs and sebae anemones, but they are more trouble than they’re worth in a high-density SPS tank, where limiting risk is the way of the walk.

They are valuable addition to a softy tank, where an anemone’s unexpected/unwanted move doesn’t potentially ring up a three-figure bill in losses.

I’m tempted to try a RFA because my Picasso clown pair has nested and laid eggs on my back glass and they look sad.
Just a heads up your clowns will almost certainly ignore a flower nem haha

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RFAs don’t host fish but do host much smaller inverts. Same thing occurs with Mini Maxi Anemones.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoyed the success with my RBTAs They split and stayed on the same peak for about two years. But when 7 turned into 8 urrrg! number 8, “the social one” decided he needed to introduce himself to my sps corals. They weren’t impressed. I might some day try a long tentacle. I don’t recall them splitting.
1BA4656E-C397-4709-A6D2-5CAB002C8F58.jpeg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not for anemones I wouldn't have a reef tank.

After having a variety of them from the magnifica, to carpets, and even Condys .......

The ONLY anemone I would ever keep is a Long Tentacle.

Don't like splitters. Carpets are fish killers. Seabaes are fish killers. Magnifica is an all around PITA.

I can keep a LTA put. Doesn't split. It visually dominates it's area of the tank. It's just a nice all around anemone and it's easy to keep.

If you rock in it solidly it won't move. It won't climb over rocks and the only time they let go is if you have serious water quality issues.

20210602_182141.jpg
20210602_182152.jpg
20220503_210642.jpg
20220503_210733.jpg
How long until a tank is mature enough for a lta give or take? I like the points you made and really like the look of the purple long tentacle.. only anemone I've kept was a sebae he was a good anemone for over a year, hosted my clowns and didn't move after finding his spot in the rock. Until that fateful day it killed my kole tang

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long until a tank is mature enough for a lta give or take? I like the points you made and really like the look of the purple long tentacle.. only anemone I've kept was a sebae he was a good anemone for over a year, hosted my clowns and didn't move after finding his spot in the rock. Until that fateful day it killed my kole tang

I've been through this twice and I'm about to do it again. Move my LTA to a new tank.

They like clean water. The cleaner the better. Once you can grow some algae and keep some snails (who are always the first to go when something is off) and other inverts put it in. I still don't get the narrative of waiting until having a mature tank for an anemone. They ALL like clean water. As long as you are SURE you are cycled and past the ugly stages you are good to go. They have zero tolerance for nitrite and ammonia.

Creating a rock formation to keep it in place is important. It must be solid. They can and WILL move moderate sized rocks.

Also make sure you give it space. If it does well you have to expect that it grow to basketball size is a few years.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love anemones and always had. However, I also love diversity, meaning that I really desire to have a mixed reef. Keeping my nem's from causing problems for my other coral has always been challenging.

However quite by accident I designed my current reef with a stoney coral platform and placed my rainbow BTA on it. Much to my pleasure that nem liked the placement I came up with for it and has stayed put. It also has divided a time or so. Now 5 rainbow BTAs reside on the stoney plating coral platform (upper right corner) and it works great. I have a happy thriving nem colony up high and above the rest of the reef and so everyone is happy, (including me).

IMG_20220629_143921834.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BTA may not be accepting the clowns as BTAs do not host Occelaris or Percula clowns in the wild. To my understanding they will only host Maroons, Clarkiis and some other species in captivity but not the Occ or Percs.
In the background it looks like you’ve got an Occelaris which is why the Nem is most likely not accepting the clown as a guest.
BTAs will absolutely host Occelaris and Perculas. They may not in the wild, but in captivity they will readily host. The problem is usually that captive bred clowns, for whatever reason they sometimes just don’t seem to understand that’s what they’re supposed to do. I don’t think a BTA can tell the difference between a maroon and an occelaris.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back