Good Fit Anemones for Your Reef Aquarium?

Do you currently have an anemone in your reef tank? (aiptasia don't count)

• YES and it's going great

Votes: 273 58.0%
  • YES but I need to remove it for various reasons

Votes: 23 4.9%
  • NO tried it and it didn't work out good

Votes: 53 11.3%
  • NO not interested in anemones in my reef tank

Votes: 65 13.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 57 12.1%

• Total voters

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got an RBTA after we already had our clowns in the tank for over 6 months. The clowns wanted nothing to do with the RBTA. The RBTA died within two months of owning it, never moved from its spot (we bought it on the rock it had been on at the lfs) we had three different sources tell us water params we’re fine (some on this site, too) he ate fine for the first month (fed him pieces of fresh scallop from a local fish market) but eventually ended up loosing all zoo, then lost all its tentacles and the disk just disintegrated. We pulled it out of the tank just after the expulsion of the zoo, because I guess RTBA are toxic when they die? Maybe my clowns never took to it because they knew it was sick? Photos inserted from day of arrival up to when it started dying.
By the way it’s reaching, I’m guessing it wasn’t getting enough light.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTAs will absolutely host Occelaris and Perculas. They may not in the wild, but in captivity they will readily host. The problem is usually that captive bred clowns, for whatever reason they sometimes just don’t seem to understand that’s what they’re supposed to do. I don’t think a BTA can tell the difference between a maroon and an occelaris.
I personally think that an occelaris wouldn’t want to host a BTA and would prefer one of its natural hosts. I have had CB clowns host coral and everything else but BTAs never got hosted until I found one of the natural hosts in the past - Wish I had a photo of the H. magnifica I once had before it got too large.

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 in my tank, a RFA and a bubble tip
The RFA settled at the very exact spot i placed it at, the bubble tip roamed around for a couple of weeks then settled and had been in the same spot for months.
Both doing great!
My clown didnt take to the bubble tip because they have a large hairy mushroom to call home lol

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bubble tip which just split two nights ago, so now I have two! My tank is faily newish 6months and they are doing great. I also have a green carpet and it also likes my tank!
449FBB82-AC93-44E4-8840-766AB7F4AE2B.jpeg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been through this twice and I'm about to do it again. Move my LTA to a new tank.

They like clean water. The cleaner the better. Once you can grow some algae and keep some snails (who are always the first to go when something is off) and other inverts put it in. I still don't get the narrative of waiting until having a mature tank for an anemone. They ALL like clean water. As long as you are SURE you are cycled and past the ugly stages you are good to go. They have zero tolerance for nitrite and ammonia.

Creating a rock formation to keep it in place is important. It must be solid. They can and WILL move moderate sized rocks.

Also make sure you give it space. If it does well you have to expect that it grow to basketball size is a few years.
so if say I wanted to place it in the back right corner how should I set the area up exactly? Place it in sand and surround it with a rock formation?

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately got 2 carpets (Haddoni) for my clowns that hosted my torches and elegance to death. They took to the carpets immediately. Now my issue is whether the carpets will tolerate the bare bottom.

37A324D2-9F89-44BE-AF10-AC7DF758AD7F.jpeg

Last edited:

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if say I wanted to place it in the back right corner how should I set the area up exactly? Place it in sand and surround it with a rock formation?

I would build the formation. Make sure it is solid. Solid is important. Maybe even glue the rocks. Place the nem in the center and cover it with something like a container or mesh. It will seek out the bottom glass. One time I added the sand after it attached to the glass but it will find it's way there either way. I don't know about the experiences of others but in all of my LTA experiences they would only use the bottom glass to attach.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may need to add more rock, will that create any ammonia spikes or anything

Honestly that all depends on the condition of the rock you plan to use. Anything that I say is speculation.

Speaking from my own experience CaribSea dry rock is pretty clean and has never caused me problems after a good rinse. If you don't rinse it well it will cloud your water.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly that all depends on the condition of the rock you plan to use. Anything that I say is speculation.

Speaking from my own experience CaribSea dry rock is pretty clean and has never caused me problems after a good rinse. If you don't rinse it well it will cloud your water.
So if I may show you a picture and see if you think it would be an OK spot for an anemone. The flow is this corner I'd say is moderate. But this is where the clown fish like to hang out

Attachments

• 20220630_164231.jpg
    20220630_164231.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 26

Zuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of carpet is that?
The long tentacles are stunning :)
I believe it's a Stichodactlya gigantea, its really cool to watch the clowns roll around in the anemone and they spawn on the rock its attached to about every 3-4 weeks; good stuff.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I may show you a picture and see if you think it would be an OK spot for an anemone. The flow is this corner I'd say is moderate. But this is where the clown fish like to hang out

Any corner is fine but ... you will have to move that power head.

I would build a 1/4 round formation with dry rock. Wedge it against that large rock you have there, the back glass, and the side glass to corral it in.

I would also adjust the flow so the tentacles flowed towards the back and side glass.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any corner is fine but ... you will have to move that power head.

I would build a 1/4 round formation with dry rock. Wedge it against that large rock you have there, the back glass, and the side glass to corral it in.

I would also adjust the flow so the tentacles flowed towards the back and side glass.
I really appreciate all your help and advice. I understand the danger of the powerhead there, basically can't have a powerhead in that corner at all? If thats the case may need to pick another location for one as that powerhead really doesn't have anywhere else to go..

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock formation on the left is where I am going to put mine when it's time.

20220525_220021.jpg
Here is a picture, something like that ok? It's away from the powerheads in the front left corner..

Attachments

• 20220701_095601.jpg
    20220701_095601.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leaving an update, have a lta it arrived via the mail. He looked pretty good but I didn't want to leave him in the bag too long he was in the shipping process for prolly like 15 hrs.. I hung the bag in the sump for 30 mins adding 1 tablespoon of water every 5 minutes. Then picked him up placed him in the center of the rock foundation and draped my net over him. Letting him relax right now keeping the lights and all but 1 pump off for about 1 hr. Hope he thrives..

20220701_122436.jpg 20220701_122358.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing BTAs appear… I’ve killed the BTAs I’ve tried but managed to keep other anemones living in those tanks (Currently I have a thriving mini maxi in the tank that wound up with probably my 3rd or 4th MIA/Dead BTA)

Back