Good Fit Anemones for Your Reef Aquarium?

Do you currently have an anemone in your reef tank? (aiptasia don't count)

• YES and it's going great

Votes: 273 58.0%
  • YES but I need to remove it for various reasons

Votes: 23 4.9%
  • NO tried it and it didn't work out good

Votes: 53 11.3%
  • NO not interested in anemones in my reef tank

Votes: 65 13.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 57 12.1%

• Total voters

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, so far the anemone looks really good imo but I did remove the net for the night and he wandered outside my rock formation.. maybe I should have stacked it higher.. I wanted to share a picture, his tentacles look good flowing in the tank, foot looks good healthy but tempted to move him. I'm assuming I should just let him do his thing tho?

Attachments

• 20220701_195042.jpg
    20220701_195042.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 65

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for spamming this thread. Anemone looks happy after first night, he found his spot of choice.. I was just pretty nervous
move the zoas if you care about them, I personally don’t care for Zoas as much so I wouldn’t move them as the anemone could control if not kill the Zoas but that’s a personal preference.

reefah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have RFA that spawn like no tomorrow. One BTA that loves my frag rack and one sebae that my pair of clowns call their forever home
74923CE9-0436-467E-8BB3-CC93634806DE.jpeg

3EE5F80A-6062-43A7-B172-CCD38375802E.jpeg

F6C07351-B5FE-4140-97BC-54C7AABB910A.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have RFA that spawn like no tomorrow. One BTA that loves my frag rack and one sebae that my pair of clowns call their forever home
74923CE9-0436-467E-8BB3-CC93634806DE.jpeg

3EE5F80A-6062-43A7-B172-CCD38375802E.jpeg

F6C07351-B5FE-4140-97BC-54C7AABB910A.jpeg
Someone thinks you have too many frags then haha

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have young tanks (2-3 months) that run pretty clean no matter what I do. I have lots of green coralline, though.

I ended up with a bta when someone sold me clowns and gave me a gbta for cheap a week earlier. Gbta went into my 40g DT and hasn't moved much from where I put it, seems very happy, even bubbles for me sometimes, though it didn't in the tank it had been in before mine.

The clowns went into my Evo observation tank and I took pity on them. Emboldened by the thriving gbta, I got them a little orange speckle bta that they almost loved to death... so I moved them into the DT.

Then, I did a favour for someone and he gave me a tiny baby acid rain. It doesn't have much colour yet, but it's growing slowly.

I never intended to have nems in such new tanks... it just kind of happened. So far, all my BTAs are happy and they are my favourite critters. Someone with a big nem tank in town says BTAs are pretty bomb-proof and, so far, that's been true for me. Mine haven't even walked much from where I put them.

They get a bit of frozen mysis every 1-2 days when I feed my tanks and are growing quickly, which is what I want.

Attachments

• 20220629_140243.jpg
    20220629_140243.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220605_142214.jpg
    20220605_142214.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220629_140238.jpg
    20220629_140238.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 51

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have young tanks (2-3 months) that run pretty clean no matter what I do. I have lots of green coralline, though.

I ended up with a bta when someone sold me clowns and gave me a gbta for cheap a week earlier. Gbta went into my 40g DT and hasn't moved much from where I put it, seems very happy, even bubbles for me sometimes, though it didn't in the tank it had been in before mine.

The clowns went into my Evo observation tank and I took pity on them. Emboldened by the thriving gbta, I got them a little orange speckle bta that they almost loved to death... so I moved them into the DT.

Then, I did a favour for someone and he gave me a tiny baby acid rain. It doesn't have much colour yet, but it's growing slowly.

I never intended to have nems in such new tanks... it just kind of happened. So far, all my BTAs are happy and they are my favourite critters. Someone with a big nem tank in town says BTAs are pretty bomb-proof and, so far, that's been true for me. Mine haven't even walked much from where I put them.

They get a bit of frozen mysis every 1-2 days when I feed my tanks and are growing quickly, which is what I want.
That tuxedo with the top hat looks like he’s living the dream haha.
Also beautiful BTAs!

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tuxedo with the top hat looks like he’s living the dream haha.
Also beautiful BTAs!
Thanks! I thought one of those would show the baby acid rain. Maybe I'll take a pic and add it.

I'm going away for the first time tomorrow. My wife will be doing top offs and feeding in my absence. Yikes! Chemistry today, WC and then, hopefully all will be well. It's gone 10 days without a WC and only feeding and top off before.

I'm trying to become fairly hands off in my reefing style; so far, more problems have arisen from my own stupidity than anything my tank has ever produced on its own!

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love nems,but I wouldn't add them to a mixed tank. They just move too much and have to child proof everything. I prefer them in all in ones,softy tanks

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had haddoni carpets, but had to get rid of them as they ate too many fish.

I have had BTAs, but I never really got on with those as much. I had them for years, but I did not like the looks as much.

I have RFA and MM carpets and love those.

For my clowns, I have malus in my main system. I really like them as they stay smaller, nice flow, stay on the sand under or near rocks, do not eat fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had haddoni carpets, but had to get rid of them as they ate too many fish.

I have had BTAs, but I never really got on with those as much. I had them for years, but I did not like the looks as much.

I have RFA and MM carpets and love those.

For my clowns, I have malus in my main system. I really like them as they stay smaller, nice flow, stay on the sand under or near rocks, do not eat fish.
Do you have any photos of the malus? Also are they as hard as sebaes or easier?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not found them difficult. I did have to treat two with Cipro as one developed an infection and the other came in really rough and bleached. It is finally getting some color after months in the QT system.

Clarkiis are the few clowns that love malus, but I am going to try another species soon.

These are my two in the large system. One is pinker than the other. Under blues they are more different than under the whites. These are from within a few months of purchase. They are now both a light pinkish in color with one being more bright pink under blues. No pics of my one in qt.

Its funny as the bright pink became lighter and the tan become pinker. Crazy things.

pink malu.jpg tan malu.jpg malu and clown small.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not found them difficult. I did have to treat two with Cipro as one developed an infection and the other came in really rough and bleached. It is finally getting some color after months in the QT system.

Clarkiis are the few clowns that love malus, but I am going to try another species soon.

These are my two in the large system. One is pinker than the other. Under blues they are more different than under the whites. These are from within a few months of purchase. They are now both a light pinkish in color with one being more bright pink under blues. No pics of my one in qt.

Its funny as the bright pink became lighter and the tan become pinker. Crazy things.

pink malu.jpg tan malu.jpg malu and clown small.jpg
They’re stunning, I assume they don’t move too much?
What other clowns do you know of that love malus?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They move every so often, but have been stable for months now. They stay on the sand near the rock edge, so not too bad when they move.
I am going to try a pair of mocha storm (ocellaris) with the one in qt, but not sure if they will take to it or not. I may try pink skunks instead. Not sure yet.

I am betting skunks will take to it. They are not usually too picky.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back