Good (free) books about biodiversity in reefs

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know good books to read? I don’t want to fight with people who keep tanks in 20000k 9 million pad and have more internet points than me about keeping natural reef tanks with simple cheap low tech id buy a book but I need to get the 300$ Hanna checker master test kit :sad:

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U might be able to find and download pdf files or hit the local library. Some of my books i only paid $8 for. Gotta hit the used book stores and keep ur eyes open.
Used to have barns and nobles book stores around here. Not anymore.

Amazon has taken over. Idk what books cost their. Lol.
Ty for doing the reading and research prior. Will save u a lot of headache and money later. Promise.
D

Attachments

• 20210325_004303.jpg
    20210325_004303.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210325_004253.jpg
    20210325_004253.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 19

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know good books to read? I don’t want to fight with people who keep tanks in 20000k 9 million pad and have more internet points than me about keeping natural reef tanks with simple cheap low tech id buy a book but I need to get the 300$ Hanna checker master test kit :sad:
Want old school tried and true? Look up GARF bullet proof reefing.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your not going to find as much going through that old info, its too dated, referencing like DSB and other things which we dont do anymore as they are more harmful than helpful. You are better off searching up articles on reefbuilders, aquanerd, and most importantly Bulk reef supply videos are the absolute best for beginner information. It might be tough but in depth biotope information would really only be found in scientific articles like those under google.scholar but that is gonna be college level difficulty

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start here for a cheap bullet proof reef

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your not going to find as much going through that old info, its too dated, referencing like DSB and other things which we dont do anymore as they are more harmful than helpful. You are better off searching up articles on reefbuilders, aquanerd, and most importantly Bulk reef supply videos are the absolute best for beginner information. It might be tough but in depth biotope information would really only be found in scientific articles like those under google.scholar but that is gonna be college level difficulty
Or better yet, just use the search function in the forum, for any of your questions.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about the reef hobbyest i think they still make them, i think i recall getting one for free from like reefapalooza or something a couple years ago

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read and understand Diana walstad’s ecology of the planted aquarium. I’m learning about mud reefs in the Lembeh strait i want to get some tube nems and featherdustees and sessile inverts. I think they are cooler than corals and if I have a muddy sand bed with some crushed coral I Can get lots of microfauna to feed the animals

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem with mud and nps like tube nems, gorgs, and sun corals is that the corals need so much food intake which settles on the substrate over time. This leads to harder conditions to fix and handle in a small aquarium (increased nitrates, phosphates, etc)
The mud can lead to anaerobic environments which can cause issues when they get disturbed from cleaning and fish as well. This is the same issue with deep sand bed (DSB) and why people tend to not run them as much anymore, the benefit does not outweigh the problems. Also flow in and around mud would have to be extremely low or you would have visibility issues when mud flies all over the place

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back