Good Guy or Bad Guy?

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This green guy started growing on one of my rocks and keeps getting bigger. Anyone have any idea what it is and whether or not if it is a good guy or a pest?

59FDEFB8-903E-4D1B-AC10-FB5B9BA5FBAA.jpeg

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would toss the rock, very invasive. If you do toss them, bag them and tie the bag off.

OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toxic green paly. They are pretty but grow fast. Some people consider them invasive and a “pest coral”

I like them but keep them isolated on their own rock. They are pretty common and very hardy.
It looked kind of spooky to me. Sort of like it was poisonous and you shouldn’t eat it. Thank you for the info. Appreciate it! JL

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve had this colony at least 2 years and no issues and super pretty under the right lighting

9AE28278-9EAE-4AE7-BD02-32E6EF706FFF.jpeg 556C4B33-341B-488F-95A3-BF05CFB4B58D.jpeg

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone was on that rock when the green paly was small. It got bigger and the anemone high-tailed it. Would it have anything to do with the anemone leaving?
I am not experienced enough to know for sure, but palytoxin might be produced for chemical warfare against other corals or anemones.

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it is paly. It does contain a toxin, but only if you mess with them. People say they take over tanks, so if you keep them isolated to 1 area that generally solves that. I have had some in my tanks for 5 years. No one has died, there has not been tank armageddon, and the world has not ended. Lol it is a coral, it lives, it is fairly pretty, and it won't melt away leaving you hundreds of dollars in debt with nothing to show for it. Your anemone would have killed it, it probably moved just for fun, they do that sometimes. If you don't like it toss it...DON'T boil the rock, then you will definitely have issues. If you like it, let it grow. :) ;)

OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would toss the rock, very invasive. If you do toss them, bag them and tie the bag off.
I was thinking about sneaking up on it and carefully removing the rock from the tank and taking it outside and dousing it with hydrogen peroxide.

OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it is paly. It does contain a toxin, but only if you mess with them. People say they take over tanks, so if you keep them isolated to 1 area that generally solves that. I have had some in my tanks for 5 years. No one has died, there has not been tank armageddon, and the world has not ended. Lol it is a coral, it lives, it is fairly pretty, and it won't melt away leaving you hundreds of dollars in debt with nothing to show for it. Your anemone would have killed it, it probably moved just for fun, they do that sometimes. If you don't like it toss it...DON'T boil the rock, then you will definitely have issues. If you like it, let it grow. :) ;)
It is a good rock after all! I don’t like killing things, not in my nature. It boils down (pun intended) to what you’re comfortable with.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a good rock after all! I don’t like killing things, not in my nature. It boils down (pun intended) to what you’re comfortable with.
Isn't good idea the peroxide :) More troubles from the palys then. have on mind, the brown (most of them) are more toxic instead of the greens SP. I had from the green, but they vanish, the brown still growing. No issue at all, and like @vetteguy53081 say,if you keep the rock with them a bit isolated they aren't going to spread, but like everything else, if you give it the space and the right conditions, it will grow much as possible.

OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't good idea the peroxide :) More troubles from the palys then. have on mind, the brown (most of them) are more toxic instead of the greens SP. I had from the green, but they vanish, the brown still growing. No issue at all, and like @vetteguy53081 say,if you keep the rock with them a bit isolated they aren't going to spread, but like everything else, if you give it the space and the right conditions, it will grow much as possible.
I read somewhere that you can use hydro peroxide on hair algae if you can isolate the rock it’s on. That’s about all I remember about it. I am not sure what I’m gonna do. Probably do more research and then, make my decision. I really appreciate everyone pitching in to help me identify it and with your thoughts ;-)

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HaveFishWillTravel, yeah not a good idea to do anything to irritate them. If you cut into the flesh or use a chemical on them they are going to react by using their defenses. If you absolutely want it gone and want the rock use a chisel and knock it off under the flesh. I'd still use gloves, get good ventilation and wear eye protection when you do it though. I have fragged Zoas and Palys a lot recently, as long as you respect it and take precautions you will be fine.

LaxFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everyone said, they can be toxic when you boil, cut or irritate them. I like them though, I’ve got a colony for around 10 years and that is just got from someone that is incredible, when you feed them you can really see them close up. In my opinion I’d keep them.

242ABD76-9A5E-4275-89D5-4C06298D3C60.jpeg AA75BF23-8BFF-4CB2-B4E1-E6FF80118683.png

OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HaveFishWillTravel, yeah not a good idea to do anything to irritate them. If you cut into the flesh or use a chemical on them they are going to react by using their defenses. If you absolutely want it gone and want the rock use a chisel and knock it off under the flesh. I'd still use gloves, get good ventilation and wear eye protection when you do it though. I have fragged Zoas and Palys a lot recently, as long as you respect it and take precautions you will be fine.
After watching it for a while now and reading what everyone has to say, since it is isolated on its own rock and is in a corner, I think I’m gonna leave it alone for a little while and watch how quickly it multiplies. I’ll have to be careful when I am feeding and cleaning so as not to touch or disturb it. A science experiment of sorts. I am really not into destroying living things even poisonous stuff, except for some of the more obvious obnoxious pests. It hasn’t hurt anything yet. Live and Let Live..;-)

LaxFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All zoas are poisonous and are some of the most desired corals to keep. I wouldn’t be worried about bumping it either, you should really only have to be worried when you are fragging it. If you ever do take it out of your tank for whatever reason, where eye protection and you should be fine. Happy reefing, I think you’ll enjoy it in the future and be happy with your decision.

OP
OP
HaveFishWillTravel

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All zoas are poisonous and are some of the most desired corals to keep. I wouldn’t be worried about bumping it either, you should really only have to be worried when you are fragging it. If you ever do take it out of your tank for whatever reason, where eye protection and you should be fine. Happy reefing, I think you’ll enjoy it in the future and be happy with your decision.
I think that is good advice. Let me ask you a question about the eye protection, is it because you touch your eyes after touching the little guys or do they spray something? They are very interesting looking up close. I don’t have a microscope yet, but I am working on getting one. I have a friend who is a Marine Biologist who cis putting together some microscope options for me (I think it will be cool to look at algae, corals and other living thing

LaxFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is good advice. Let me ask you a question about the eye protection, is it because you touch your eyes after touching the little guys or do they spray something? They are very interesting looking up close. I don’t have a microscope yet, but I am working on getting one. I have a friend who is a Marine Biologist who cis putting together some microscope options for me (I think it will be cool to look at algae, corals and other living thing
Both. Zoas and palys can spray a poisonous substance up from there head if irritated. After touching them you’ll want to wash your hands, don’t touch your face or any cuts you have etc. I’ve got a microscope and I can tell you that some flatworms are pretty cool looking under it. You’ll do good with it, just take extra precautions when doing what I said above. Good luck, and happy reefing!

with the smaller zoas, you shouldt have to worry much about spraying. Just wash your hands after handling them. You need to be more wary with the brown playthoas which are more poisonous, and the greens one that you have you just gotta be a little more careful. Just take it slow.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back