Good idea? Taking a small sample of Hawaiian sand home to seed tank.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not saying it shouldn't be illegal but they make a mockery of the law when it's loosely or improportionally enforced...I'm sure plenty of people did commit the crime of taking some sand...ive never been to Hawaii but find it hard to believe they search people for sand when leaving and I'm also sure NONE of them paid $100,000. It leads to a lack of respect of other laws if it isn't strictly enforced and they aren't going to charge anyone $100,000 so why write that specific amount into law?
Well, it's like any law or rule, you catch some, you miss some.
It's like anything with rules or laws, some think the rules aren't for them.

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you want to chance it, it’s bad luck to bring anything from the beaches in Hawaii, let us know is your tank crashes though. It’s only a myth. But would like to hear it for myself

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a YouTube video where Aquabiomics states that many tanks become less diverse on average as they age due to competition between species and better suitability of aquarium conditions to certain bacteria...it has the right idea in mind but the quantity and diversity of what's added would definitely matter

So how much do you get when you buy a bottle of pre-packaged vs collecting a gallon bag or using NSW? Aquabiomics isn't sending you a pound of sand or rock or rubble for example. Not singling them out - just a reference as there are a few other reputable sources that sell it. Just using it as an example.

To the OP's point though just follow local laws to include transportation home if that is part of your plans. Outside of that most of us here won't have a direct answer outside of anecdotal.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my personal opinion and nothing more but imo the penalties for things like that are a joke because I guarantee you many people have taken shells, sand, etc. as souvenirs from Hawaii and there's not a cop in the world who would actually fine someone steeply for attempting to take just a handful of sand...let's just take the ridiculous sum of $100,000 for what it is: a joke. They almost certainly chose it just because it's a very large round number meant to scare people.
Imo laws should be strictly enforced as they are written. The sum of the fine should be directly correlated with the amount taken and enforced whether it's grandma taking a souvenir or someone selling it on the black market. Penalties shouldn't depend on who you are, they should depend on the degree of the crime. Sorry for the rant, but that's just a ridiculous fine for the crime. I'm sure it says somewhere you can also be imprisoned...
i can't speak from experience on the penalty side of things as i've never tried smuggling illegal material across a border but following Macna 2017 i did bring legally purchased, allowable coral across international lines and spent an hour in interrogation substantiating my purchase and claim.
In that process the CITIES penalties were laid out for me (in a friendly way) but they definitely weren't kidding around and treated the corals as contraband until otherwise proven.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how much do you get when you buy a bottle of pre-packaged vs collecting a gallon bag or using NSW? Aquabiomics isn't sending you a pound of sand or rock or rubble for example. Not singling them out - just a reference as there are a few other reputable sources that sell it. Just using it as an example.
If you rephrase this i can answer it...i wasn't the one that referenced Aquabiomics first...i don't understand what you're asking...how much of what do you get? Bacteria? Aquabiomics does sell rock rubble actually but why would it be relevant if they didn't? I'm really not sure what you're trying to say tbh.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can't speak from experience on the penalty side of things as i've never tried smuggling illegal material across a border but following Macna 2017 i did bring legally purchased, allowable coral across international lines and spent an hour in interrogation substantiating my purchase and claim.
In that process the CITIES penalties were laid out for me (in a friendly way) but they definitely weren't kidding around and treated the corals as contraband until otherwise proven.
That makes a lot more sense with corals which could be endangered species...also they probably caught you not due to their razer sharp profiling but because you were carrying something much differently than how someone would carry sand they picked up off the beach. As for the penalties, they probably would hit you with a closer amount to whatever the max is but definitely not the max and the possible 10 or so years in prison. I am glad they're checking everyone for possible trafficking of endangered species. Sand is a little different (no matter how special humans may declare that particular sand to be)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you rephrase this i can answer it...i wasn't the one that referenced Aquabiomics first...i don't understand what you're asking...how much of what do you get? Bacteria? Aquabiomics does sell rock rubble actually but why would it be relevant if they didn't? I'm really not sure what you're trying to say tbh.

All good. In this thread people are questioning what a handful of sand from an ocean would do if placed in an aquarium. Note: handful which to me is questioning the amount. My question was rhetorical by asking what is the difference by adding aquabiomics product, or any others for that matter, when it is less than a handful. What does 7 ounces or 12 ounces of a bottle have vs a handful of Mother Natures finest doesn't? Also when starting new displays it isn't uncommon that we recommend a cup or two of sand from an established system to seed.

Edit:
First and foremost one has to ask the larger question is if taking sand from the Hawaiian waters is even allowed. Then we can have this discussion :)

Edit 2:
Also since I'm in Cali and water is important these days I have researched using NSW up North or near my diving locations. Local laws do allow it but the main point all agencies tell me is to not pull from marine reserves. Anyone collecting should always check local laws be it city, state, or federal.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1668026803127.gif

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to get some perspective as i am new to the hobby. I am currently in Hawaii and have a newly cycled tank at home. Is it a good idea or bad idea to bring a small amount of sand home to help seed the tank? I’m talking about a handful of sand.
If the YYC in your username means you’re from Calgary, I would not I assume crossing international borders with that might not be as easy as someone on a domestic flight to somewhere else in the states

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good. In this thread people are questioning what a handful of sand from an ocean would do if placed in an aquarium. Note: handful which to me is questioning the amount. My question was rhetorical by asking what is the difference by adding aquabiomics product, or any others for that matter, when it is less than a handful. What does 7 ounces or 12 ounces of a bottle have vs a handful of Mother Natures finest doesn't? Also when starting new displays it isn't uncommon that we recommend a cup or two of sand from an established system to seed.

Edit:
First and foremost one has to ask the larger question is if taking sand from the Hawaiian waters is even allowed. Then we can have this discussion :)

Edit 2:
Also since I'm in Cali and water is important these days I have researched using NSW up North or near my diving locations. Local laws do allow it but the main point all agencies tell me is to not pull from marine reserves. Anyone collecting should always check local laws be it city, state, or federal.
Oh, I agree with you 100% that adding such a small amount of Aquabiomics reef rubble would not be superior either (they just have the disease testing claim)...yeah, i think the best source is the ocean...amount does need to be sufficient though which i feel the Aquabiomics amount is not adequate to change anything for larger aquariums

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just want to get some perspective as i am new to the hobby. I am currently in Hawaii and have a newly cycled tank at home. Is it a good idea or bad idea to bring a small amount of sand home to help seed the tank? I’m talking about a handful of sand.
Place in ziplock/double zip lock and pour off water.
Assure nothing crawling around that you can see

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a google search turns up this quote;

And that's a very risky endeavor, as taking sand from any beach in Hawaii is punishable by fines upwards of $100,000. This includes Papakolea Beach, also known as Green Sands Beach, and Punalu'u Beach, which is famous for its black volcanic sands.Aug 20, 2019

This is my personal opinion and nothing more but imo the penalties for things like that are a joke because I guarantee you many people have taken shells, sand, etc. as souvenirs from Hawaii and there's not a cop in the world who would actually fine someone steeply for attempting to take just a handful of sand...let's just take the ridiculous sum of $100,000 for what it is: a joke. They almost certainly chose it just because it's a very large round number meant to scare people.
Imo laws should be strictly enforced as they are written. The sum of the fine should be directly correlated with the amount taken and enforced whether it's grandma taking a souvenir or someone selling it on the black market. Penalties shouldn't depend on who you are, they should depend on the degree of the crime. Sorry for the rant, but that's just a ridiculous fine for the crime. I'm sure it says somewhere you can also be imprisoned...
It says punishable by UPWARDS of $100,000.

So I doubt grandma with her little bag of sand is going to get the full cavity search....but it would get it taken away when they search her luggage prior to leaving which they did when I visited the big island....every single piece of luggage before boarding on the tarmack.

I was very tempted to take a sample of black sand and load up my bag with dry rock, at the time I couldn't find the specific laws regarding the activity.

Glad I didn't....don't need any curses or fines hanging over me.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says punishable by UPWARDS of $100,000.

So I doubt grandma with her little bag of sand is going to get the full cavity search....but it would get it taken away when they search her luggage prior to leaving which they did when I visited the big island....every single piece of luggage before boarding on the tarmack.

I was very tempted to take a sample of black sand and load up my bag with dry rock, at the time I couldn't find the specific laws regarding the activity.

Glad I didn't....don't need any curses or fines hanging over me.
Yes UPWARDS like most fines are worded. Grandma would get a free pass after breaking the law is the point. She should have to pay some fine as well if she violated the law because the law should be blind. The crime had been committed (possibly unknowingly or maybe knowingly) already.as the sand was already taken from the beach and with intent to board a plane and leave with it. Confiscation of something illegal isn't a punishment either. And I maintain 100,000 is a joke of a fine. Anyone who committed a crime worthy of a fine that size should instead be incarcerated instead of indebted for the rest of his life.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes a lot more sense with corals which could be endangered species...also they probably caught you not due to their razer sharp profiling but because you were carrying something much differently than how someone would carry sand they picked up off the beach. As for the penalties, they probably would hit you with a closer amount to whatever the max is but definitely not the max and the possible 10 or so years in prison. I am glad they're checking everyone for possible trafficking of endangered species. Sand is a little different (no matter how special humans may declare that particular sand to be)
agreed and you're right, i live in mid-west Canada where the ocean is as far away as it could be so they were extra attentive. Despite their inexperience with my coral it didn't take long before they knew my corals were legal but they mentioned that further than identifying the corals but their main focus was to make 100% sure absolutely no coral skeletons or base rock were present putting me in a situation a cities permit would have to be produced.
Interestingly, The LFS owner i went on the trip with bought 2 bounce mushrooms back to the tune of $5000 and his interrogators kept him longer yet and were on the edge of flushing them both. Whew! haha

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed and you're right, i live in mid-west Canada where the ocean is as far away as it could be so they were extra attentive. Despite their inexperience with my coral it didn't take long before they knew my corals were legal but they mentioned that further than identifying the corals but their main focus was to make 100% sure absolutely no coral skeletons or base rock were present putting me in a situation a cities permit would have to be produced.
Interestingly, The LFS owner i went on the trip with bought 2 bounce mushrooms back to the tune of $5000 and his interrogators kept him longer yet and were on the edge of flushing them both. Whew! haha
The thing is, the people they put through all that are almost all exclusively people trying to do things legally. The poachers and traffickers know how to avoid those checkpoints and agents altogether so while I support it and believe it's very important that we do that, i doubt they play a very big part in the big scheme of endangered wildlife preservation because of the real crooks know how it's done....

jkcoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may want to look into the legalities of that... Hawaii has some strict laws on what can come in and out... always better safe than sorry

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't bother, it's not magic sand or anything worth the effort nor consequences. My experience is that tanks do very well on their own with time. Give your tank a couple of years to mature and you'll be able to grow anything you want in there. There's a lot you can do to get to that point successfully, like gear, proper fish and inverts but a handful of Hawaiian sand will not even get you close.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back