Good news! Build thread for 125 gallon coming around Christmas!

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: This is not a build thread, there aren’t any pictures yet. My dad has finally caved and decided to help me build a 125 gallon tank with 55 gallon sump around Christmas. I’ll give you the details. So first, the stocking list.

20 Ocellaris Clowns and 3 LTAs: I’ve decided to attempt a clownfish harem with 20 clownfish and 3 long tentacle anemones, of course I’ll get the clowns from the same clutch, and wait 6-8 months before I add the nems and clowns.

Zebra Moray Eel: I’ve always liked eels, I think they’re really cool, but a potential problem is that they’re carnivores and will eat shrimp and small fish. I’m gonna take several precautions against this. 1: I’ll be getting a Zebra Moray, which several sources say is the most docile eel. 2: I will not be including any shrimp in the tank besides 2 cleaner shrimp. 3: I’ll add the Eel last.

Mandarin Dragonet: I think the colours of the Mandarin Dragonet are really cool, and I’m planning on a sizeable refugium so pods shouldn’t be an issue. Of course I’ll wait like a year for the pods to establish.

Royal Gramma: There isn’t any specific care with this fish and it looks cool so on the list it goes!

Neon, Clown, and Watchman goby: I know you aren’t really supposed to keep gobies together but it’s a 6 foot tank and I think if I provide plenty of live sand and live rock and introduce them at the same time it will be fine.

Madagascar Spotted Croucher Scorpionfish: It’s small so won’t add much to the bioload and I’ve heard it has a really cool personality.

Labout’s Fairy Wrasse: Okay the colours on this fish are stunning and they are small so they don’t add much to the bioload.

Blue Hippo Tang: My little sister really wants a “dory” and the minimum is 6 foot tanks so I think it’ll be fine. I might have to move it to an 8 foot tank if it gets too big though.

One Spot Foxface: Heard it’s a great algae eater and looks cool. Like the hippo, I might have to move it to an 8 foot if it gets too big.

2 Blue Tuxedo Urchins: They look cool and eat algae. What’s not to love?

3 Pajama Cardinalfish: Easy to care for and schooling fish are cool.

2 Cleaner Shrimp: They look cool and symbiotic relationships are cool.

25 Banded Trochus Snails and 25 Nassarius Snails: Gotta have that CUC!

I know that it’s pretty heavily stocked so let’s move on to filtration. I’ve alre mentioned the 55 gallon sump, so here’s what I’m gonna put in the sump:

2 Filter Socks —> 10 inch Skimmer —> Large Refugium —> Biopellet Reactor —> Calcium Reactor —> Heaters —> Return Pump.

And that concludes my long ramblings! Thanks for making it through and feedback would be appreciated!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A build thread can start in the planning phase before there ever is a tank. In fact, sometimes that can be more interesting because when the tank actually comes together you can look back and see how close the plan was to reality! Good luck!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back