OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's anyone else who would like to know what I found who I haven't already contacted, please feel free to contact me!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To everyone I contacted, I'd still love to talk with you guys...it's dinner time here is all

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, I decided instead of giving you simple word by mouth I'll take notes of anything I feel may be of importance or particular interest instead of focusing exclusively on Fromia indica since they share many characteristics which may spur even more successful husbandry ideas. I hope this helps you guys as much as I feel it is helping me, just keep in mind that this book is a very lengthy recent release and therefore very difficult to get your hands on even. The scientific journal articles aren't much easier but it is what it is... although I've already done it once before I'm still going to cross reference and double check in an effort to be as accurate with all info as I possibly can.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no useful information in this thread to help and teach others that I can find. All I see is a post of people who have them 6 months to a year which is very typical.

Not one post of someone having them 5 plus years or such… and their size tank or set up.

???

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no useful information in this thread to help and teach others that I can find. All I see is a post of people who have them 6 months to a year which is very typical.

Not one post of someone having them 5 plus years or such… and their size tank or set up.

???
That wasn't the original intention of the thread...we've moved past that though now

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do your research and are dedicated to caring for a star as much as I am then why don't you crack a book open? I'd be happy to tell you about my research findings but I didn't want to broadcast them.
If you can post the book that you’re referring to, that would be great. I like to read.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can post the book that you’re referring to, that would be great. I like to read.
Btw, I have access to the labs including the microbiology lab and I plan to carry out tests there to analyze microfauna on live rock as well as biofilm present which may help further identify dietary requirements for certain species

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help but wonder if one of those several encrusting sponge species in my second tank can serve as a Fromia food source... their natural distributions likely coincide...

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@austibella says had there's 5 years in there 10 year old tank and says feeds few different foods,not been online since April though ,not sure if this is a one off or they found the secret ^_^

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@austibella says had there's 5 years in there 10 year old tank and says feeds few different foods,not been online since April though ,not sure if this is a one off or they found the secret ^_^
I highly doubt they found a secret...they are VERY fragile when it comes to parameter shifts!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't you have to check its stomach contents to see what it is eating? I am not for cutting up live starfish but just saying...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then how do you know what it is eating? Testing a rock doesn't prove that is what it ate.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then how do you know what it is eating? Testing a rock doesn't prove that is what it ate.
If there is no sponge left on the part of the rock that covered it, I'm pretty sure he ate the sponge or perhaps the microbes in the sponge.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my starfish obsession but after thinking it over, I'm really doubting the idea that these and many other star species die exclusively from starvation as is commonly claimed (although I have a feeling many hobbyists think they can eat basically anything which is incorrect for most species). Research shows that some of the thousands of starfish species do depend on biofilm with the extent of reliance depending completely upon the species in question. Btw, it turns out not all Linckia species eat exclusively biofilm contrary to common belief. I've actually discovered now what it is my Fromia indica feeds on in the wild and I plan to do my best to meet his needs which is certainly not an impossible task. If you do your research and are dedicated to caring for a star such as mine it is in fact possible to keep them without them starving to death.

With that said, please don't go out and buy any starfish without any knowledge of it's husbandry requirements. There's a LOT more to them than meets the eye.
Very interesting topic. I know there are many things that feed off of biofilm. And to be honest I never really considered it, but thinking about it back years ago we used to get live rock from the south Pacific. It all had a huge amount of life and pests in it. I had a blue linka star for at a minimum of 3 years had to get rid of him when we moved we couldn't keep the 300 gallon anymore. I am jealous about your residence, I have not been to Thai in 6 years now, was about to leave for Japan then Thai had my tickets in hand and Covid shut it down. I think I will try to fly over at the end of this year.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back