Good News for my Fromia Star

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that now... however, It was started with 100% live rock from the ocean and I'm definitely aiding his natural diet now that I've done all that research. A larger tank is preferred though.
All you can do is try your best. Some people keep certain fish in smaller tank with success too.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you can do is try your best. Some people keep certain fish in smaller tank with success too.
I agree...I definitely think being fed his wild diet will help a lot...plus if you go back and read a forum I started a few days back, you'll see how I'm in the process of transforming part of my tank to meet his dietary requirements

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That book paid off. Now I can feed him his natural diet!
IMG_20220613_074445.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In need of more nitrates and phosphates to support a ****** microbiome capable of supporting my star so added a couple fish!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my starfish obsession but after thinking it over, I'm really doubting the idea that these and many other star species die exclusively from starvation as is commonly claimed (although I have a feeling many hobbyists think they can eat basically anything which is incorrect for most species). Research shows that some of the thousands of starfish species do depend on biofilm with the extent of reliance depending completely upon the species in question. Btw, it turns out not all Linckia species eat exclusively biofilm contrary to common belief. I've actually discovered now what it is my Fromia indica feeds on in the wild and I plan to do my best to meet his needs which is certainly not an impossible task. If you do your research and are dedicated to caring for a star such as mine it is in fact possible to keep them without them starving to death.

With that said, please don't go out and buy any starfish without any knowledge of it's husbandry requirements. There's a LOT more to them than meets the eye.
Read through all the thread and cant seem to see the part where you say what your research told you that they eat ,like you say feed it its native food but what's that ?

In first post you say some eat bio film but not all

Did I miss the bit about what they eat ? Sorry if did

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through all the thread and cant seem to see the part where you say what your research told you that they eat ,like you say feed it its native food but what's that ?

This thread is indeed confusing.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my starfish obsession but after thinking it over, I'm really doubting the idea that these and many other star species die exclusively from starvation as is commonly claimed (although I have a feeling many hobbyists think they can eat basically anything which is incorrect for most species). Research shows that some of the thousands of starfish species do depend on biofilm with the extent of reliance depending completely upon the species in question. Btw, it turns out not all Linckia species eat exclusively biofilm contrary to common belief. I've actually discovered now what it is my Fromia indica feeds on in the wild and I plan to do my best to meet his needs which is certainly not an impossible task. If you do your research and are dedicated to caring for a star such as mine it is in fact possible to keep them without them starving to death.

With that said, please don't go out and buy any starfish without any knowledge of it's husbandry requirements. There's a LOT more to them than meets the eye.

From your posts it sounds like you bought a starfish without knowing what it needs, or having heard what it needs and just not caring.

You mentioned knowing what it eats, but never say what it eats. What research did you do and what did you learn? What are you feeding it?

The consensus is that these just take a very long time to starve to death.

How long have you had yours, OP?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I sent you like 3 personal messages to start a conversation like an hour ago to talk about it

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned knowing what it eats, but never say what it eats. What research did you do and what did you learn? What are you feeding it?
Ha! Like a good book but the last few pages are missing!!!

@livinlifeinBKK please tell us what are feeding. Starfish are fascinating. I’ve never tried one because of the reasons you mentioned.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your posts it sounds like you bought a starfish without knowing what it needs, or having heard what it needs and just not caring.

Ok...Ill explain to you as well as I can. Sorry if it confused you, it's been up for a while so assumed it wasn't all that confusing. Alright, so the first half was simply about research an an opinion I hold. I'm guessing that your confusion stems from me not revealing what my star eats. The reason I didn't reveal my research regarding the diet specifically on a public forum was because I didn't want to risk misleading anyone due to the many similar species who's diets differ. Unfortunately all this information didn't fall out of the sky. I actually spent a LOT of time And effort doing this research which is a testament to how much I care about taking good care of my star. If you do your research and are dedicated to caring for a star as much as I am then why don't you crack a book open? I'd be happy to tell you about my research findings but I didn't want to broadcast them.

"From your posts it sounds like you bought a starfish without knowing what it needs, or having heard what it needs and just not caring."
I may be mistaken but this little sidenote sounds like you were trying to be a little offensive. Were you? Or were you truly just confused? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you get the 3 personal messages I sent you?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"From your posts it sounds like you bought a starfish without knowing what it needs, or having heard what it needs and just not caring."
I may be mistaken but this little sidenote sounds like you were trying to be a little offensive. Were you? Or were you truly just confused? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Not meaning at all to be argumentative or speak for this person, total respect, but to be honest, the original post is confusing, it does read as if you bought it and then did the research after. Then it goes on to say that you found the secret to keep it alive. So of course we are all curious to know the secret, we'd all like to keep one. To mention you know the secret but "read your own book", is not in the spirit of a public forum, in my opinion.

And of course, the proof that you know the secret will be after keeping it alive for a few years, so naturally very curious how long you have had it.

Good luck, I hope it works and hope we can all keep one some day.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent you like 3 personal messages to start a conversation like an hour ago to talk about it
Hi thanks for pm's.
I see them but unfortunately can't open them,probably because in bottom floor of 10 storey hospital,will have a look when get home thanks

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please quit engaging one another in a personal way. Thank you.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s all good let’s just please move on from the bickering everyone. Thanks! :)

Back