Good news, my ATO system arrived today.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in Taiwan and unable to return to the mainland where I’ll start my tank, my LFS told me the mainland where the hobby is quite new, there is no good ATO system available for sale in China. So, I went on Amazon and found this JBJ ATO system for maybe 80 bucks so I think it is a decent one as BRS also features it in one of their videos. After 3 weeks it has arrived from the US.

I didn’t know ATO systems are actually so small and compact, I was expecting something big and bulky. This makes me very glad and I have ordered a backup, second ATO system in case of any mechanical failures.

However, I really suck when it comes to installing stuff. Someone originally suggested a Tunze 3155 to me but from the sellers I checked they don’t ship to much of Asia.

6E3DD51D-CB0A-499C-B8D2-C50779FDFF74.jpeg 93C95F1A-5EA4-4E87-8545-AEB85F81B0F0.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to you tube, there are several short videos on the different ways you can utilize your new JBJ.
These short videos explain things in a very clear manner.
The video by Marine Depot, is under 2 minutes and addresses your specific questions,

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ve watched some of the videos. It looks like Mode A + the one where Sensor 1 goes into the sump, Sensor 2 and pump go into the reservoir is the way to go.

Would 75% be a good water level for the sump? What about for the reservoir? How big should the reservoir be?

Do you guys use buckets / containers or a second tank next to the sump? I am worried since I live in China, the materials used to make most buckets and containers may be questionable. Don’t want to raise PO4 and introduce other harmful things into my tank water.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amount of water in you sump depends on a few things.
1) Make sure you have enough room that if power goes out you have room for the back siphon water from your tank will fit and not flood your house. You can test this simply by unplugging your return pump.

Size of the reservoir would depend on the size of your tank and how much water evaporates over the course of time. My ato can sustain my tank for a little over two weeks on it own (20g tank with 5g bucket as my reservoir).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back