Good or bad hitchhikers in filter?

AquaJunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found these hitchhikers in my hob filter.
Just wondered what they are and weather they are bad. Looks like some kind of filter feeder, anyone got a name? Thanks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380305520.869104.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380305535.085058.jpg

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are pineapple sponges. Harmless filter feeders, that usually go away on their own.
You also have hydroids, which are part of the cycle and should go away in a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AquaJunkie

AquaJunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Connie. Just weren't sure if they would cause any harm to anything.

MadBrad527

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the pineapple sponges in my filter. I've had them for a few months and I have lots of them. Haven't seen any problems with them, so they're no issue for me and shouldn't cause any issues for you either.

russo36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys... Sry to jump on this thread.... But I was curious to ask... What do u use you filter for??? Reason I ask is bc I just started
My system about a month ago... But I don't use a canister filter... I only use my sump and skimmer along w micron socks some sponges and
Live rock. I have a real good canister filter that I was thinking on using for my carbon or phosguard instead of putting it in my sump.... Can I use it
For this reason??? I heard diff views about using a canister filter w saltwater

OP
OP
AquaJunkie

AquaJunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys... Sry to jump on this thread.... But I was curious to ask... What do u use you filter for??? Reason I ask is bc I just started
My system about a month ago... But I don't use a canister filter... I only use my sump and skimmer along w micron socks some sponges and
Live rock. I have a real good canister filter that I was thinking on using for my carbon or phosguard instead of putting it in my sump.... Can I use it

I only use my hob for extra filtration.
I got filter floss in one half which I change weekly and I run rowaphos in the other half to help with phosphates. I currently don't run a sump.

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what you are planning on using it for, yes, you will have no issues using it that way.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back