Good or bad starfish

craigpaterson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this little thing eat corals if I put any in my tank I have about 6 or them on my live rock
62228529d149eabcc6c8b911a1ba822d.jpg
81dfc95eb6a3171d1197c01c1e9baac6.jpg

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might... That's reason enough to remove them from my system.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might... That's reason enough to remove them from my system.
^+1 When in doubt, throw it out. With reef tanks and pests, its best to err on the side of caution.

Fumanchu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ..
They don't eat coral they do it coraline algae though and they spread fast i had to get a harlequin shrimp to put an end of them

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ..
They don't eat coral they do it coraline algae though and they spread fast i had to get a harlequin shrimp to put an end of them

There are hundreds of different types of Asterina. Even marine biologist have problems telling different types from one another. Color can be an indicator but not a definitive way to ID. There are indeed Asterina that will eat zoanthids and sps corals. Most commonly found in the hobby though are those that eat both film algaes and some types eat coralline, but not all Asterina eat coralline.

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what Shep said. Don't even waste your time doing anything else except manually removing them. Worry about identification afterwords, and keep an eye out close everyday for them because once something begins to get out of hand it will get out of hand QUICKLY and the whole point is to avoid getting to that level of invasion.

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im really not a fan of those stars. My new harlequin shrimp really likes them though.

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen them chowing on my zoos in two different tanks. I do think they only target ones that are already weakened but they certainly don't help.

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any zoas, so....

My friend swears they eat clove polyps too. Ive never seen them go after anything else so I think in the right tank they can be useful as cleanup crew.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend swears they eat clove polyps too. Ive never seen them go after anything else so I think in the right tank they can be useful as cleanup crew.
I usually don't like things that just pop up on my tank, unless I'm 100% sure what they are, and that they're safe. I pluck these out when i see them, but i wouldn't do anything drastic to get them.

OP
OP
C

craigpaterson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone I will grab my long tweezers and carefully remove those little monsters lol cheers all

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back