GOOD or BAD? This is what happens in reefing! Fill in the blanks!

How much does the advice & info from others help you in the hobby?

• A lot of help

Votes: 357 65.0%
  • Some help

Votes: 141 25.7%
  • A little help

Votes: 38 6.9%
  • No help

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 1.3%

• Total voters

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium if you ___invite your friends over to see the tank then __algae, RTN, or aptasia_________ will happen right before they arrive.

For a FOWLR, see Lymphocystus, aggression, or trophy fish bail-out.

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium if you go easy, then easy going will happen.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium if you ran out of space, then get a bigger house. ;)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium if you DONT MONITOR YOUR TANK AND PARAMETERS , then UNFORTUNATE CHEMISTRY ISSUES will happen disallowing you to successfully keep healthy coral.

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium if you get complacent , then bad things will happen.

I'm not chasing numbers or religious about water changes, but if you think your alk/ca uptake never increases or water changes can be put on hold then bad things will happen.

JimG1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium if you pick the wrong fish for your reef , then coral disappearance will happen.

JimG1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium if you over feed, then ammonia will happen.

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In keeping a saltwater aquarium, if you don't take the time to learn the basics, and have a whole lot of patience to observe your entire system in order to detect reasons for [negative] changes, then just hope things will get better by themselves, you're just going to waste your time and money and wind up frustrated. You must ask questions and heed the advice given from those who have experience.
I started with marine aquariums in 1985 after immigrating to Western Australia. I was 30 years old and had a good 15 years experience with fresh water fish. I was so fascinated by the extraordinary beauty of the marine environment that I converted a 4x2x2 fresh water tank to marine. I was very lucky to have had the knowledge of cycling and testing but I had very few resources by way of people with saltwater experience. Add to that no internet. One Perth man (RIP Arthur) helped me to understand the complexity of a closed marine environment. He lead me, step by step. We went to the beach to collect tonnes of water every week. We devised DIY filtration systems (back then we both used reverse under-substrate filtration which worked extremely well). I bought an air (ozone compatible) driven Sander protein skimmer (attached) that pulled out huge amounts of skimmate. I had success - more or less that is. After family issues took precedence, we moved house. I sold the tank in 1990. My interest (and money) went into converting my American pilot licenses for the commercial Australian aviation industry. I didn't have enough time for a marine aquarium. I had to support a wife and 2 kids aged 8 and 5.
Fast forward by 25 years to 2015, I had walked into a LFS and was absolutely blown away by the corals that I had always wished I could maintain - and by the amazing variety of marine fish, inverts, coral specific LED lighting, DC Pumps and skimmers and beautifully crafted aquariums on matching stands. But I was most intrigued by the use of a sump. I had never seen one before. I was hooked again. The use of a sump, being so novel to me, made so many things possible. Add a refugium, properly lit for macroalgae. Copepods everywhere. I could go on for hours.
But THE MOST helpful thing I (we all) have these days is the use of the internet and forums such as these. There's absolutely no excuse for anyone to not join a forum and ask questions.

20190305_134608.jpg 20190305_135539.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium if you _keep good water quailty_ , then happy, healthy fish and corals_ will happen. (feel free to rearrange the words)

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In keeping a saltwater reef aquarium if you try it once, then addiction will happen. It is way worse than drugs and much more expensive. Kids don't do this at home. After 35 years of this filthy habit I am still hooked and broke.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%

Back