Good or bad?

chorizo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found these on my rock, are these good or bad? If it’s bad, how much fire do I use to kill it?

B6FF8A80-693A-4AB6-BBB8-1F4EA44313AA.jpeg 54158D19-6140-412A-8C1A-1469252EF54F.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You will need to shut down water flow and as much of a pain as it is, mix kalkwasser powder with tank water and lemon juice into a toothpaste like consistency and using a syringe- inject into the CENTER CORE of each one. This will take repetition but you will suddenly see them diminish. I assume theyre also in the plumbing and by return pump area.
Other options are :
For each method you should turn your flow OFF for 5 mins. before and during the treatment and wait 15 mins. before turning it back ON after the the treatment, including the return pump.

• Lemon Juice - Instead of reaching for your bottle of lemon juice to enhance your glass of water or cup of tea, maybe try it as an Aiptasia exterminator. While wearing gloves, fill a syringe with pure lemon juice and inject it directly into the Aiptasia. Make sure to move slowly to prevent scarring the anemone into its hole.
  • Hydrogen Peroxide - Just like with the lemon juice, fill a syringe and carefully inject a small amount of the solution directly into the disk of the Aiptasia. Be extra careful to not release any hydrogen peroxide into the tank. Not the safest way.
  • Kalkwasser - Also known as Calcium hydroxide - kalkwasser is capable of killing Aiptasia. However, I don’t recommend this extermination tactic. In order to work, you must precisely fill the Aiptasia with a concentrated dose. If you try killing too many in this way, you can inadvertently raise your tank pH level, which is no good.
  • Other Methods - Some of the other methods commonly used to eradicate Aiptasia include boiling water, vinegar, electricity and even super glue. If you’re considering these methods, there’s a better way that’s less dangerous to you, your tank and your bank account.

OP
OP
chorizo619

chorizo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I'm getting good enough to tell what it is and scroll down to confirm.
There is a shrimp that eats those I think. Peppermint Shrimp, I think I could be wrong.
That is correct. I just convinced my girlfriend that getting one or two of those is the right move (I just spent about $200 on my freshwater tank so I was scared to suggest this)

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. I just convinced my girlfriend that getting one or two of those is the right move (I just spent about $200 on my freshwater tank so I was scared to suggest this)
A man of many tanks...
Your GF knows your addicted just like my wife knows I am.

OP
OP
chorizo619

chorizo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A man of many tanks...
Your GF knows your addicted just like my wife knows I am.
I mean, to her defense, I only wanted one. I have 3. One 60 gallon, one 75 gallon, and the 100 reef tank. Just have to keep her away from my OfferUp because I’m looking for another one

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Deepest sigh ever sighed* thanks so much everyone
I'd you just see a couple I'm a proponent of using superglue gel. Peppermint shrimp are good help to have in the tank at all times but are spotty at doing much aiptasia control. Theory is only 1 of the half a dozen species sold as Peppermint shrimp really get after them.

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd you just see a couple I'm a proponent of using superglue gel. Peppermint shrimp are good help to have in the tank at all times but are spotty at doing much aiptasia control. Theory is only 1 of the half a dozen species sold as Peppermint shrimp really get after them.
I tried the glue trick, but the white spot on the plug drove me crazy, so when I cleaned was cleaning my plug I removed it with a pick like a dentist uses. It never came back.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back