Good saltwater aquarium books?

Lodi_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Basics are pretty consistent across all of the books. You will end up learning a lot more from you tube and forums.
See the source image

This book is one of the more recent ones and has fairly relevant information. Doesn't go into much detail about specific coral husbandry.

See the source image

I just picked this one up, its a decent read if you want to go SPS. It is generally written for someone who already has the basics down.

See the source image

Picked this one up on ebay, expensive. This book does have some very in depth sections on water chemistry and the various classic methods for reef keeping. It lays out the history of marine aquarium keeping. But it was published in the 90's. So lighting and filter technology have advanced decades, literally.

I own a few other books including the dummy's guide to marine aquariums, wouldn't recommend any of them. Ive contemplated getting some of Julian Sprungs books but at this point would rather just spend the money on Coral.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internet has mostly killed off (but remains an inadequate substitute for) the reef book publishing business. Most books are a bit long in the tooth. My personal favorites are the Modern Coral Reef series by Nilsen and the never completed reef fishes series by Michael. There are also some really interesting books that may be hard to find like the Peter Wilkins pair. Agree that Coral magazine is a good resource.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sprung and Delbeek three volume The Reef Aquarium
+1 whilst old there is still a lot of relevant info in this regarding plumbing, design, scaping, chemistry, equipment and a bunch of other stuff. I still refer to this book and I’ve had it for over 10 years.

Also +1 for Coral magazine

OP
OP
Hop2jr

Hop2jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you all for the long reading list:) I know youtube well but like to have a library of books to revert back to it’s the old school part of me. I can always find it in a book finding it on youtube a second time can be a pain.lol keep the list growing want to fill a shelf almost there with what’s here thanks again!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are interested in breeding fish then the books by Wittenrich, by Wilkerson, and by Huff are also timeless IMO.

Mariano Reef&Trip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have read the Spanish Edition of this one and it is really good. It covers all the topics needed to understand how a reef tank is set up and properly maintained

IMG-20210501-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back