View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Yellow Tang
2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Fighting Conch
1 Pin-Striped Wrasse

Is this over, or understocked for a reef tank? anything wrong with it? 65 gallon.
This is going to be my first saltwater.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 65 gallons tank is too small for any tang. Consider a Pygmy angel like a coral beauty or flame angel. By pin stripes wrasse I believe you mean a melanarus wrasse. If so, you should wait a while after seeding with pods as they are constant hunters. Cleaner shrimp are ok. Sand bed need to be mature and established to support a conch. You will most likely have to supplement with food as that’s a small sand bed for a conch

OP
OP
Darkfrost

Darkfrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I just switch out the conch with bunch of the dwarf red tip hermit crabs? also, this is all still hypothetical.
Are Kole Tangs better in a smaller tank? And if I move the yellow to another tank when its older is it okay?

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx so much!
no, I don't mean melanrus, I mean this: Fishy Foshy
Edit: things
Ok, that wrasse will be ok in your tank. But they are a bit aggressive so if you want a few more fish, and they are passive, they may get harassed by this fish. I would recommend listing some other fish you like so we can help with stocking order.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I just switch out the conch with bunch of the dwarf red tip hermit crabs? also, this is all still hypothetical.
Are Kole Tangs better in a smaller tank? And if I move the yellow to another tank when its older is it okay?
For the sand bed, nassarius snails will do well. I have the smallest tang, a tomini in my 5th long 110 gallon and it uses every inch of it. I personally do not recommend any tang for your tank. There is a brilliant yellow Pygmy angel that could work and give you the color and constant movement.

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be following. Although this is my third time setting up a 65gallon. It is to small for any tang. Fairy wrasse, clowns, gramma, firefish. I would not get any angels as they eat coral. 3foot tank is very small

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be following. Although this is my third time setting up a 65gallon. It is to small for any tang. Fairy wrasse, clowns, gramma, firefish. I would not get any angels as they eat coral. 3foot tank is very small
I agree that I personally wouldn’t put an angel in that tank, but you can. Not all pygmy angels eat coral. None of mine ever have, but you need to be prepared to remove it if it decides it likes to eat coral!

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 65 for a while and kept a Kole tang. I thought it was all good but once I upgraded to a 5 footer, I could immediately tell just how cramped it had been in that tank.

OP
OP
Darkfrost

Darkfrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a Pin-Striped Wrasse, 1 Orchid Dottyback, 1 Flame Angel, and a nice black lined blenny?
Still keeping the cleaners, and da CONCH

Last edited:

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I met a new girl and took them too the lfs. They said how bout this or how about that. It was always a no for various reasons

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, I think that's a light bio-load.
Agree w everyone, 3' too small for tang.

Clowns do well. Two cleaner shrimp may get restless with so few fish to clean, plus they molt all the time. One should do you.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back