Good Value Skimmer for 200G Tank

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions on a tank that will be 160G in the display and 40G sump. Heavy bio load. I don't have a set budget but always looking for a great value. Currently looking at the Reef Octopus Classic 250 but not sure if that will be strong enough.

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220G tank and a Reef Octopus 200SSS skimmer, works like a dream with an ANC. 10 fish in the tank, i would say medium to high bio-load (my parents like to feed heavy).

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at the Tunze
9415dc.
I run a 9410dc on my 120.

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies. Was hoping there would be a good one in the $400's. But looks like I should probably go a little higher to be on the safe side. I hear nothing but great things from all Reef Octopus owners. Any other suggestions would be gladly welcomed.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that budget, look at ASM G4. ASM has been kicking butt for a long time and are better than most other needle wheel skimmers. I would step up one size from their recommendation since you want a heavy bio load.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - I have owned about 9-10 RO skimmers. Some of them really are good - I have one with a Sicce PSK pump that is as good as anything that I have ever owned. I have had others with the AquaTrance, RO and bubble blaster pumps that were just OK - not bad, but not great. I think that most people who love RO skimmers have never used much else, or had bad skimmers. IMO, they do not outperform ASM, LifeReef or the Tunze suggested above, but you can certainly do a lot worse with a lot of the other newer brands.

Tunze and LifeReef are awesome skimmers if they are in your budget.

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - I have owned about 9-10 RO skimmers. Some of them really are good - I have one with a Sicce PSK pump that is as good as anything that I have ever owned. I have had others with the AquaTrance, RO and bubble blaster pumps that were just OK - not bad, but not great. I think that most people who love RO skimmers have never used much else, or had bad skimmers. IMO, they do not outperform ASM, LifeReef or the Tunze suggested above, but you can certainly do a lot worse with a lot of the other newer brands.

Tunze and LifeReef are awesome skimmers if they are in your budget.
Thank you! I will definitely look into those more.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the ASM G3 a look. $300 bucks and skims as good or better than anything out there. It's a little noisier than some skimmers. But if it's sitting in a cabinet it shouldn't be a big deal.

bob salzlein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the replies. Was hoping there would be a good one in the $400's. But looks like I should probably go a little higher to be on the safe side. I hear nothing but great things from all Reef Octopus owners. Any other suggestions would be gladly welcomed.
Check out the new Hydor DC controllable skimmer. The suggested retail is 449.99 on the E-SK 1000

Attachments

• New Skimmer High Res.pdf
    958 KB · Views: 192
OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys got me seriously looking at the Tunzes now. I really like the idea of having that extra filter sock to throw in some phosphate removers as I don't plan on adding a GFO reactor. Question will this one work?:https://www.aquacave.com/tunze-master-doc-9410-protein-skimmer.html

This?: https://www.aquacave.com/tunze-master-doc-9410-dc-protein-skimmer-9410-001.html

Or will I need this?:https://www.aquacave.com/tunze-master-doc-9415-protein-skimmer.html

There is an almost $200 price difference. I'm hoping to keep phosphates in the .03-.1 range with a fully stocked mix tank. No algae scrubbers, no gfo or pellets, just chaeto.

Roachbeef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaMaxx ConeS Q-3 In-Sump Protein Skimmer is what I have on my 300 and its amazing!!!! Can't see a skimmer working better than it. Picked it up for $330 at marine depot

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That skimmer is awesome! For 399 you can get it without the pump inside for easy maintenance. Comes w a sicce pump and well over rated for my 200 gal system. Thanks!!

AquaMaxx ConeS Q-3 In-Sump Protein Skimmer is what I have on my 300 and its amazing!!!! Can't see a skimmer working better than it. Picked it up for $330 at marine depot

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using an aquamaxx skimmer on my current system. While I cannot argue with it's performance it is one of the cheapest made skimmers I have ever owned. BTW, the ASM skimmers wear that crown.
I have owned ASM, Euro Reef(when they were still ER), Reef Octopus, and currently the aquamaxx. There have also been several no name skimmers in the past I dont recall details about. For my money I really like the Reef Octopus from both a build and performance standpoint, they are reasonably priced too.

Roachbeef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That skimmer is awesome! For 399 you can get it without the pump inside for easy maintenance. Comes w a sicce pump and well over rated for my 200 gal system. Thanks!!
If you get it let me know ill show you where to set your water height for it to work efficiently!!!!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back