Good worm or bad worm?

Dsdman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What say the experts?

A76E815D-7356-4654-BF37-43EAE325F091.jpeg 94D68193-37C0-47B7-8026-7C55199C9815.png 65ECD68E-F96B-4DFE-9845-663E3FF5BAAA.jpeg 5C76FD3B-F222-464A-AA2A-4D8FFC4FE3F2.png

OP
OP
Dsdman

Dsdman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video

Attachments

• IMG_1776.MOV
    93.8 MB
OP
OP
Dsdman

Dsdman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dangit, I’ve tried to catch him with a bottle and straw trap. He not interested in it. I’ll keep trying. I was hoping he might be a good worm.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dangit, I’ve tried to catch him with a bottle and straw trap. He not interested in it. I’ll keep trying. I was hoping he might be a good worm.
Throw a piece of shrimp into It. I'm sure it will come to it

OP
OP
Dsdman

Dsdman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the shrimp in a bottle trap last night, no luck. So how do you know it’s a fire worm (bad) and not a good trash eating bristle worm (good)

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pic is going to be priceless in helping id fires from bristles!!
Screenshot_20191203-055033.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ouch. Do not touch with hands. Remove with large tweezers or make a trap or use fish trap and bait it.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen those same worms in my tank. They do get large. Largest I've seen stretched out is about 14". However, I have not had a single problem from them being in there. They haven't eaten any corals or attacked any other livestock. Pretty sure the only concern with them is touching them and getting stung. That said, I do pull any large ones out and put them in my hitchhiker/unwanted creatures tank but haven't seen any in months.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've seen those same worms in my tank. They do get large. Largest I've seen stretched out is about 14". However, I have not had a single problem from them being in there. They haven't eaten any corals or attacked any other livestock. Pretty sure the only concern with them is touching them and getting stung. That said, I do pull any large ones out and put them in my hitchhiker/unwanted creatures tank but haven't seen any in months.
Only Concern?
These fireworms are roving carnivores that can cause much damage in a reef tank. They have toxic bristles on their bodies that can inflict a sting of a very painful degree, possess strong jaws for feeding, and can reproduce quite rapidly.
They are not selective about what they eat but usually prey on all types of other moving and stationary invertebrates, such as corals, crustaceans, mollusks, as well as other errant type bristleworms. Being particularly aggressive predators, they may even eat small fish if an opportunity presents itself.
For these reasons preventing and removing these destructive worms from accidentally getting into tank and removing them when found in a saltwater aquarium system is recommended. They come into tank as hitchhikers.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only Concern?
These fireworms are roving carnivores that can cause much damage in a reef tank. They have toxic bristles on their bodies that can inflict a sting of a very painful degree, possess strong jaws for feeding, and can reproduce quite rapidly.
They are not selective about what they eat but usually prey on all types of other moving and stationary invertebrates, such as corals, crustaceans, mollusks, as well as other errant type bristleworms. Being particularly aggressive predators, they may even eat small fish if an opportunity presents itself.
For these reasons preventing and removing these destructive worms from accidentally getting into tank and removing them when found in a saltwater aquarium system is recommended. They come into tank as hitchhikers.

I haven't had the same experience. Have you had these in your tank? Same exact type? Or is this just from what you've read.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I haven't had the same experience. Have you had these in your tank? Same exact type? Or is this just from what you've read.
Owning a pets store for almost 12 years, you come across many critters such as these. I had a clarity plus bin type display and had two in it as this system held my live rock and corals. Had missing fish before these were discovered

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owning a pets store for almost 12 years, you come across many critters such as these. I had a clarity plus bin type display and had two in it as this system held my live rock and corals. Had missing fish before these were discovered

I've seen worms that look exactly like the ones in the op pic in my tank. No missing fish or anything actually. I do pull out the ones that are easy to grab. I have my old phone charging. Pretty sure I have pics of what I've found in my tank. I'll post up some pics once it's got some battery life.

Not saying to leave them in. If in doubt, take it out. I just don't think all large worms deserve the pitch forks and burn with fire type of responses.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back