Goodbye hair algae / turbo snail appreciation post

Jocey76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top of a couple of my rocks starting growing a lawn of hair algae this week. :( Probably too much light time/intensity.

But two days later my big turbo snail is munching it away!! I just wanted to share a video of his cute munchy face and the hard work he's doing for me!
PXL_20210114_001932943.jpg

OP
OP
Jocey76

Jocey76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, probably so. Mine are Mexican too, and they’re hungry lol

How big is your tank? Any fish or coral?

You should start a build thread so you can document your progress, and get a badge like the cool kids.:)

It's a 90 gal tank, ~4 in live sand, lots of live rock

Fish:
- pair of mochavinci clowns
- midas blenny
- royal gramma
- helfrichi firefish
- diamond goby
- banggai cardinal
- spotted mandarin

Inverts:
- skunk shrimp
- at least 2 emerald crabs
- long tentacle anemone
- lots of snails, including mystery snails and turbo snails
- pistol shrimp (bonded to the helfrichi firefish and we never see)
- 2 feather duster worms

Coral:
- rando yellow zoas
- green star polyp

Send me a link to your favorite build thread and I'll put one together! :cool:

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice! I love your fish selection. You have a nice variety in there.:)

I’m excited about your upcoming build thread! You said send you a link to my favorite...Now, what kind of person would I be if I didn’t send you my own?;)

Once you get going, you can go to account settings/scroll to bottom/and copy and paste the link to your thread to get your build thread badge. Anytime you want to see someone’s build, just click on their badge. So cool, right?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love turbos for algae issues. Ive had them grow to the size of peaches.

Be warned they are strong and can push over pretty big rocks. Anything not secured down will be re arranged according to their whim.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top of a couple of my rocks starting growing a lawn of hair algae this week. :( Probably too much light time/intensity.

But two days later my big turbo snail is munching it away!! I just wanted to share a video of his cute munchy face and the hard work he's doing for me!
PXL_20210114_001932943.jpg

Don’t forget to feed your snail. It will live longer and stay healthy andgrow. Reef tanks are deserts once the algae is gone. I have to wonder if most clean up crew are under fed.

I have fifteen Mexican turbos. The group or herd eat one 8x8 inch sheet of dry seaweed every night, or about 1/16 sheet per snail.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love turbos for algae issues. Ive had them grow to the size of peaches.

Be warned they are strong and can push over pretty big rocks. Anything not secured down will be re arranged according to their whim.
That’s good to hear. My herd of 15 snails almost doubled in size since April, 2020. They are fed everyday.

OP
OP
Jocey76

Jocey76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t forget to feed your snail. It will live longer and stay healthy andgrow. Reef tanks are deserts once the algae is gone. I have to wonder if most clean up crew are under fed.

I have fifteen Mexican turbos. The group or herd eat one 8x8 inch sheet of dry seaweed every night, or about 1/16 sheet per snail.
Ah thanks for the tip. I haven't specifically fed yet but I'll have to look into it so they can keep going once they are finished with the job at hand.

OP
OP
Jocey76

Jocey76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice! I love your fish selection. You have a nice variety in there.:)

I’m excited about your upcoming build thread! You said send you a link to my favorite...Now, what kind of person would I be if I didn’t send you my own?;)

Once you get going, you can go to account settings/scroll to bottom/and copy and paste the link to your thread to get your build thread badge. Anytime you want to see someone’s build, just click on their badge. So cool, right?

Haha of course! Well here's mine! https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/90gal-mixed-tank-bought-used-already-running-9-months.793387/

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back