Goodtimes with a Reefer 750XXL - $20k Dreamtank

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the calcium reactor all setup and in place and watched 1/2 dozen videos on how to tune it in. Then I realized I never got the CO2 tank filled.

;Facepalm :p That just made my morning, thanks @goodtimes !! Still loving the build thread and all the updates, I'm glad to see everything is testing out well for you:):)

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know occasionally I’ll have to do an old fashion water change in order to clean the sand, sump, etc... but for the other times the DOS is great! I think I’ll probably end up doing 15 gallons twice a week instead of several gallons a day.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a quick check on the tank before I left for work this morning and found the copper band butterfly nose first in a MP40. Yesterday it was eating well and looked good. I did notice a few times it seemed reclusive which was odd.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a quick check on the tank before I left for work this morning and found the copper band butterfly nose first in a MP40. Yesterday it was eating well and looked good. I did notice a few times it seemed reclusive which was odd.
Sorry to hear that

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These updates are getting any better. The foxface has ich now. I’ve been treating with PolypLab medic in an attempt to buy me some time. The other fish aren’t showing signs at this point.
Now that’s it’s warming up I am thinking about setting up a large qt tank in the garage. This may be not be practical though. I was thing about purchasing all the fish I want to get and putting them through quarantine at the same time.
Is this possible? Say 20 fish at once in a 90 or 125 gallon?
@4FordFamily

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These updates are getting any better. The foxface has ich now. I’ve been treating with PolypLab medic in an attempt to buy me some time. The other fish aren’t showing signs at this point.
Now that’s it’s warming up I am thinking about setting up a large qt tank in the garage. This may be not be practical though. I was thing about purchasing all the fish I want to get and putting them through quarantine at the same time.
Is this possible? Say 20 fish at once in a 90 or 125 gallon?
@4FordFamily
dang sorry to hear about your foxface. I could be wrong but I don't think adding all the fish at the same time is a good idea. seems like it could wreak havoc on the biological filter causing a spike in ammonia etc. I could be wrong though.

how are your parameters? any reason you can think of for your foxface to be stressed?

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang sorry to hear about your foxface. I could be wrong but I don't think adding all the fish at the same time is a good idea. seems like it could wreak havoc on the biological filter causing a spike in ammonia etc. I could be wrong though.

how are your parameters? any reason you can think of for your foxface to be stressed?
I thought the same thing about adding them all at once but I read about tanks going fallow to rid them of ich while fish are in qt. Maybe just put them back in a few at a time?
I’ve only had the foxface a few weeks. I’m guessing it’s just stress from the new tank. It doesn’t scratch at all and is still eating good. But so was the CBB.

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the same thing about adding them all at once but I read about tanks going fallow to rid them of ich while fish are in qt. Maybe just put them back in a few at a time?
I’ve only had the foxface a few weeks. I’m guessing it’s just stress from the new tank. It doesn’t scratch at all and is still eating good. But so was the CBB.

I bet if you stay on top of water changes for you QT then you will be fine. what are you going to use for biological filtration in the QT tank?

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a marine pure block that I’ve had in my tank for a few months. I’d even go buy some cheap live rock to put in it.
Perfect. When I tore down my old tank and put my fish in a smaller holding tank I pulled out three softball to basketball size rocks and did weekly WC. Never had a issue with any fish dying. I then sold the rock. You will want to toss whatever rock or blocks you add since you will be adding chemicals.

Also maybe wait to do anything until more experienced guys chime in. I’m pretty sure you are on the right path. Keep the updates coming.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day one of the female Lyretail anthias died. It showed no symptoms and chowed down during the morning feed. When I came home from work it was stuck in the rocks. Today the same thing happened to the male anthias.
The foxface is still eating good and is active.
So far I’ve lost a CBB, two Anthias and a royal gramma.
I really can’t qt right now because I’m going to be gone for a week this month and don’t have the time. I’ll hope for the best until I can treat them. After that no more fish until I setup a proper qt.

Sley1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day one of the female Lyretail anthias died. It showed no symptoms and chowed down during the morning feed. When I came home from work it was stuck in the rocks. Today the same thing happened to the male anthias.
I really can’t qt right now because I’m going to be gone for a week this month and don’t have the time. I’ll hope for the best until I can treat them. After that no more fish until I setup a proper qt.

Sorry to hear that, hope your others do OK until you can QT.

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer man! Any signs of distress or ich on the fish that died?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back