Gorilla crab assassin?

David & Katie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure that I still have Gorilla crabs in my LR. I was hoping to get some opinions or suggestions with getting rid of them. I have caught 4 with the bait in a jar trick. When I can keep the bristle worms out of the trap. I recently noticed my torch Coral and frogspawn had been butchered. It certainly looks like crab carnage. And I have read that they are like roaches. If you see one, there is a hundred. I am really not looking forward to taking the rock apart and remove again to try and rid the tank of them. Is this my only option? Is it possible to use a wrasse or trigger to take care of them?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you keeping a FOWLR or reef tank ?

OP
OP
David & Katie

David & Katie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you keeping a FOWLR or reef tank ?
Reef. I have very few Coral in the tank right now though. I was told a wrasse might do the job. But I would most likely be pulling all the rock out to be able to remove him after the job is done. Which I would like to avoid. However, I thought maybe if I pulled everyone out of DT and into QT, I could have more options.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of a wrasse eating emeralds and gorillas crabs and a trigger would eat your coral. Have you tried to catch them at night time ?

OP
OP
David & Katie

David & Katie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of a wrasse eating emeralds and gorillas crabs and a trigger would eat your coral. Have you tried to catch them at night time ?
Yes. I bait a trap at night. I have caught 4 of them already. But it has been several weeks since. Maybe they are getting wise to the trap? I would take the Coral out and QT until the trigger could come out...if this is a reasonable approach.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I bait a trap at night. I have caught 4 of them already. But it has been several weeks since. Maybe they are getting wise to the trap? I would take the Coral out and QT until the trigger could come out...if this is a reasonable approach.
Which trigger were you looking at ?
Will it cause problems with your current stocking list ?

OP
OP
David & Katie

David & Katie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which trigger were you looking at ?
Will it cause problems with your current stocking list ?
I'm not sure which would be the most effective. I know they are all too large to send in my tank forever. It is a 56 G display with 13 G sump. And yes, it would cause problems for several. I have 2 Percula, Rainford Goby, Bullet Goby, Fire Shrimp, Blue Tuxedo and miscellaneous snails. Most, if not all would/should be removed. Do you think it is worth the stress it will cause to them?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure which would be the most effective. I know they are all too large to send in my tank forever. It is a 56 G display with 13 G sump. And yes, it would cause problems for several. I have 2 Percula, Rainford Goby, Bullet Goby, Fire Shrimp, Blue Tuxedo and miscellaneous snails. Most, if not all would/should be removed. Do you think it is worth the stress it will cause to them?
IMO you’re better off catching them your self rather then spending the money on the trigger and stressing out the other inhabitants.

OP
OP
David & Katie

David & Katie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you’re better off catching them your self rather then spending the money on the trigger and stressing out the other inhabitants.
You are probably right. I'm just getting frustrated not knowing how many there are or how long it will take to catch them. I fear for my sleeping fish, Coral and snails. My traps keep coming up empty lately.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back