Gorilla Glue Original - Did I just make a big mistake?

arch1r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'm sure this has been asked somewhere, but I'm not locating a thread with this specific topic. This is my first salt tank. I was doing the aqua scaping last night, built the rocks, got them in place, started gluing together. Used Gorilla Glue Original. I looked on a few threads that said it was safe. Upon doing further research, it's the gorilla glue super glue gel that they were discussing with the cyanoacrolyte. Not gorilla glue original. Does anyone have experience with the Original being used to hold rock together? What would you recommend?

Thanks,

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After doing some googling, sounds like. . . maybe. Some say it is inert after totally cured, others say NOT SAFE, and others say why risk it.

I guess I'm in the why risk it camp. I would start over with new rock or chisel off the portions of rock that got the glue on them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

arch1r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where my problem is. "Gorilla Glue, the original brown one, is 100% waterproof and non toxic once it has cured. It’s actually on the company website and I know of many aquarists who have used it successfully to glue rock work in their tanks. Be sure it’s fully cured before it goes into the water."

Very disappointing to have this happen. Guess it's time to buy a chisel then.

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Matrix GIF

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

arch1r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol that sequence of replies made my little mess-up a little better. Pretty entertaining. I will chisel the pieces off. No stress

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the official safety data sheet for gorilla glue. On page 2, section 3, you can see additives. Its best to chisel the rock with the glue off, and just use loctite or harbor freight glue.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For aquascaping I would suggest epoxy 2 part. They make reef branded stuff. It will hold rocks better then superglue over time (no landslides please) and superglue gel for glueing corals.

OP
OP
A

arch1r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to the SDS. It says "insoluble" in water, but that is probably SW. Maybe someone like @Randy Holmes-Farley can chime in, as he is the local expert when it comes to things like this.

Thanks for that, and it's kind of the problem I'm getting a lot of is "yeaeh it should be okay once cured, but we don't know so I don't want to bother with it.". If it was definitely safe after curing I'll be fine since the rocks aren't going in for another day or two.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incompatible Materials: Strong acids, strong bases, strong oxidizers. Amines. Alcohols. Copper and its alloys. Water.

Well, that seems like it might be an issue when used in a fish tank.

HamesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220912-113151_Chrome.jpg
I've had a similar circumstance happen to me this week with the clear gorilla glue. I thought it was cyanoacrylate super glue gel when I used it. Has there been any consensus on whether this glue is safe once fully cured? It's going to be several weeks before it gets near any salt water.

mikey1958

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220912-113151_Chrome.jpg
I've had a similar circumstance happen to me this week with the clear gorilla glue. I thought it was cyanoacrylate super glue gel when I used it. Has there been any consensus on whether this glue is safe once fully cured? It's going to be several weeks before it gets near any salt water.
I just did the same thing...I don't think it will harm anything especially if t cures a couple of weeks....
Does anyone have experience with this stuff?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back