Got a Corazon’s damsel! (Pomacentrus vatosoa)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is really beautiful!

My first Starkii off DD seemed to have brook or urenoma or idk what... it looked like it was melting in the bag. It must have showed up in shipping. It almost fully recovered in a CP + Metro QT, regrew fins and was eating then suddenly just died one day. My guess is the gills were just too damaged.

The next Starkii I got off LA and that one has been fine (with me awhile now).

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my new guy
CEC6EBAA-8AB5-4054-9D7C-BAFCF8054EA6.jpeg

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the Corazon's? I was thinking about one before I bought a starcki and am curious what your experience has been.

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the Corazon's? I was thinking about one before I bought a starcki and am curious what your experience has been.

Doing great, colour has really improved. I will try and take an updated photo today. Has been peaceful but keep in mind his only tankmates are a mated pair of maroon clownfish. The female will chase him as she has quite a size advantage. It may be hard to judge based on this, but I feel like they are probably not crazy aggressive.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful! I have a soft spot for black and white fish. They just contrast so beautifully on a colorful background like you'd find in a reef tank. :D

OP
OP
andrewkw

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white balance is not right in this picture - colours in this tank (lit by Radium 20k 250w metal halide + cheapo blue led strips) is quite different then my main display.

_MG_3745.JPG

The purple is really a nice bright blue. You can see the "sparkly" effect under the halide which again is really a shade of blue. Eventually I will get better pictures but just wanted to reply today. While the fish is mostly black and white there is some colour there too.

Great looking fish. Out of curiosity what's the store you head to that's 7 hours away?

In no particular order Candy Corals (where this guy came from), Aquatic Kingdom, Reef Raft, Rivers 2 Oceans, NAFB, The Coral Reef Shop + even the big al's, dragon aquarium as well, oh Fragbox of course too. When you live far from the fish stores it's exciting to visit any of them. I've been living in the country for 4 years now and still miss weekly fish store trips just as much. There is one halfway decent store about 3-3.5 hours from me, but pre pandemic I would just double the distance and visit some combination of the above stores.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a stunner! Fun thread to follow along with.. damsels get such a bad rap and honestly some of them are well worth the honors of having in DTs !

Great looking fish, love it!

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot Liveaquaria an email. If QM has one, they should be able to get it. Pomacentrus vetosa *is* listed on Quality Marine's website - don't know if they have one in stock - think you have to have an account to see their stocklist.

Last edited:

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a starki to my tank - pcked it up from Bluezoo and it is already eating like a pig. I wonder about the congeneric aggression of Corazon's now. Anyone else have one of these guys?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG

i took the last pic the day before it died. once i saw the redness i dosed metroplex as i feared uronema, but the fish died the next day. mouth open, redness on one side.. seemed like a uronema death to me :(

could've been a bacterial thing too, shrug

i don't think i've seen anyone else report uronema on them so i don't think it's a prominent thing, but i'd definitely try to do something proactive now. h2o2 bath would probably be solid. i found out metroplex is only like 70%~ pure metronidazole so i ended up buying actual 100% pure metronidazole from some sketchy ukrainian website lol, so i think for any damsels i'll hit them with a h2o2 bath into qt and then dose the pure metro for a few days just to be safe.

i ended up doing metroplex for the rest of QT fearing uronema on the other starcki. not sure what happened, but it ended up dying too, but i never saw the redness or anything
I just had the same thing happen to one of my 2 Starcki damsels! Early yesterday morning just the slightest of a white patch. Got home from work and it had progressed so fast and the fish was in distress. I had already dosed general cure two days prior and was due for the second dose yesterday.
It wasn’t but a couple hours later and he was gone. I’m guessing bacterial. Maybe secondary to the uronema that was being addressed by the metro in GC? 3 other damsels and an anthias still in QT that seam fine as of this morning. Hopefully I can get the rest of them through QT.

09126ECE-6D08-48A7-8AA5-E3F629B9C1E6.jpeg 3BABB096-7C1B-40E9-AA75-97495DB18784.jpeg

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear, i think you're the first or second person to tell me they had a uronema issue with a starcki

did you order it from liveaquaria? that's where i got my two from

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone interested, Bluezoo says that they can get Corazon's when Quality Marine has them in stock. They are on QM's stock list, but they are not in stock right at the moment. I tried setting up a hobbyist account at QM, but I can't seem to verify my account. Anyhow, BZ says price will probably be between 200-300 for a Corazon's.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear, i think you're the first or second person to tell me they had a uronema issue with a starcki

did you order it from liveaquaria? that's where i got my two from
It was DD. I also had an order of 3 Lyretail anthias that came from regular LA deliver on the same day. Lost a female anthias day one. Was swimming sideways in the bag. 2 days later lost a male anthias. Never ate and had uronema red sores. Then the following morning the Starcki started with what looked like bacterial infection. Medications were already running. The photo is what it looked like upon returning home from work. Just a few hours later and it was over. That infection moved fast!

can’t fault DD since I also had fish from regular LA. Still have 1 healthy Starcki and 1 female anthias left from the bunch.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back