Got a damsel

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All. So I am totally new and have had some bad luck with fish intros. Not totally sure, but think it may have been bullying issues. So now... I have had a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair from the beginning (maybe 4 months now). About a month ago I got a striped blenny (along with two other fish that did not make it - bicolor blenny and orchid dottyback). This past week I added a yellowtail damsel. They seem compatible, both confident with some shows of aggression here and there but nobody really appears bullied. I would like to add a pair of clowns before my damsel establishes territory. Any idea or thoughts on when is a good time to introduce the clowns? Is a week later too late? Or would I have to remove the damsel to add the clowns? (the damsel was an experimental add suggested by LFS) Thanks and looking forward to your thoughts...

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of damsels like yours. Originally there were three of them, one was the devil and the other two were getting beat up. Got the devil out and the other two have been model citizens ever since. Fish all have unique personalities and it's always a roll of the dice. I do think the clowns will be fine against a single damsel in the tank depending on size. My clowns were in first along with a Royal Gramma. There has never been ANY aggression between my clowns and my damsels in either direction.

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a new hobbyist I'd get rid of the damsel it will only cause you issues down the road.
Hi All. So I am totally new and have had some bad luck with fish intros. Not totally sure, but think it may have been bullying issues. So now... I have had a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair from the beginning (maybe 4 months now). About a month ago I got a striped blenny (along with two other fish that did not make it - bicolor blenny and orchid dottyback). This past week I added a yellowtail damsel. They seem compatible, both confident with some shows of aggression here and there but nobody really appears bullied. I would like to add a pair of clowns before my damsel establishes territory. Any idea or thoughts on when is a good time to introduce the clowns? Is a week later too late? Or would I have to remove the damsel to add the clowns? (the damsel was an experimental add suggested by LFS) Thanks and looking forward to your thoughts...
Since you are new, I'd get rid of the damsel asap, they are bullies. Bullied fish get stressed, get sick, sickness spreads, and it makes for a really rough time. Start with some docile fish get some experience in managing aggression then start adding the more potentially aggressive territorial fish later.

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of damsels like yours. Originally there were three of them, one was the devil and the other two were getting beat up. Got the devil out and the other two have been model citizens ever since. Fish all have unique personalities and it's always a roll of the dice. I do think the clowns will be fine against a single damsel in the tank depending on size. My clowns were in first along with a Royal Gramma. There has never been ANY aggression between my clowns and my damsels in either direction.
Clowns are hearty and can hold their own against damsels, but this makes sense because clowns are damsels technically :) There are some damsels that are much more peaceful than others, and age makes a HUGE difference as they mature most of them lose that docile nature and become very territorial.

OP
OP
JayA

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a new hobbyist I'd get rid of the damsel it will only cause you issues down the road.

Since you are new, I'd get rid of the damsel asap, they are bullies. Bullied fish get stressed, get sick, sickness spreads, and it makes for a really rough time. Start with some docile fish get some experience in managing aggression then start adding the more potentially aggressive territorial fish later.
I hear you and I have no problem doing that (provided I can catch him...). The reason I got the damsel was because my striped blenny seems territorial. Honestly, I don't think he'd let any peaceful fish in the aquarium.

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you and I have no problem doing that (provided I can catch him...). The reason I got the damsel was because my striped blenny seems territorial. Honestly, I don't think he'd let any peaceful fish in the aquarium.
A little pricey but this may be a useful piece of equipment. (Amazon.com : SaltwaterAquarium Acrylic Fish & Pest Aquarium Trap 6" x 4" x 4" : Aquarium Nets : Pet Supplies) Not only for catching the damsel but introducing new fish as well. If you didn't treat and quarantine your fish it may be a good idea for the blenny to go as well some are very aggressive and other are docile.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matters the tank size like others said, but i tell everyone to stay away from damsels except the azures, springeri, and starcki. The others are all aggressive and will probably end up attacking your hand over time. Its really annoying getting nipped everytime you put your hand in the tank

OP
OP
JayA

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little pricey but this may be a useful piece of equipment. (Amazon.com : SaltwaterAquarium Acrylic Fish & Pest Aquarium Trap 6" x 4" x 4" : Aquarium Nets : Pet Supplies) Not only for catching the damsel but introducing new fish as well. If you didn't treat and quarantine your fish it may be a good idea for the blenny to go as well some are very aggressive and other are docile.
Yeah, I wondered about that too. I had a flametail I had to return for aggression, and even a solarensis (I think because the tank is small). So then I purchased an apparently getting along in a small tank threesome - striped blenny, orchid dottyback, and bicolor blenny. But that didn't go well either. I write this as I sit watching the striped blenny now chasing the damsel... Honestly, I think I have had poor fish selection for my little 20 gallon tank.

OP
OP
JayA

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I wondered about that too. I had a flametail I had to return for aggression, and even a solarensis (I think because the tank is small). So then I purchased an apparently getting along in a small tank threesome - striped blenny, orchid dottyback, and bicolor blenny. But that didn't go well either. I write this as I sit watching the striped blenny now chasing the damsel... Honestly, I think I have had poor fish selection for my little 20 gallon tank.
Also thanks for the tip on the trap.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best thing you can do as a beginner is to look at liveaquaria.com fish profile and see if the fish is the right size for the tank and make sure they are peaceful. Just dont purchase any fish from liveaquaria, way too many people here have stated issues with fish ordered from there recently

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been there lol I started my first tank in 2006 is was a 75 gallon first fish was a damsel, and from there my choices didn't get any better. I ended up taking it down a year and a half later and taking a break from the hobby. It felt like all I was doing was fighting aggression and and fish illness. Take it from me, it's not fun and a quick way to burn yourself out.

OP
OP
JayA

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been there lol I started my first tank in 2006 is was a 75 gallon first fish was a damsel, and from there my choices didn't get any better. I ended up taking it down a year and a half later and taking a break from the hobby. It felt like all I was doing was fighting aggression and and fish illness. Take it from me, it's not fun and a quick way to burn yourself out.

OP
OP
JayA

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for your start too... but there's comfort in knowing it's not just me. lol

OP
OP
JayA

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for your start too... but there's comfort in knowing it's not just me. lol Thanks for sharing.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 20g I'd say add the clowns now, everything should be fine. If you're worried, take the damsel out and just the clowns, or add the damsel later. You'll be fine because the damsel is new to the tank, but I wouldn't wait too long.

OP
OP
JayA

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue zoo aquatics also has a neat compatibility chart. You still need to look into different types of fish in each category but it’s a good high level guide.
I can't seem to find the chart on their website? If you get a chance, could you post a link? thanks

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back