OP
OP
George Willings

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, got the phosphate test kit delivered. Tested for phosphates and it is 0 ppm. So I am going to give this tank another week to see what the heck it wants to do. Starting to think it might be bipolar, lol.

OP
OP
George Willings

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading 0 ppm

5d9339dd4b1b308fdd0e832ff8e680d7.jpg

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
George, it may take time for things to breakdown in the rock before you get phosphate readings. Unless the rock is very clean. Check once a week over the next four weeks at least for phosphate. If none then watch the nitrates.

OP
OP
George Willings

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the rock is very clean. It was power washed prior to me buying it, when I rinsed it I did use a dish brush to make sure more was taken off. But, I am going to just let this tank run for a while before I just start putting live animals into the tank.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the rock is very clean. It was power washed prior to me buying it, when I rinsed it I did use a dish brush to make sure more was taken off. But, I am going to just let this tank run for a while before I just start putting live animals into the tank.

Clean is more than just the cleaning you do. Inside the pores, bacteria and macroscopic life inhabited deep inside. As soon as these died they started to decay. The amount of this life in the rock is what we mean by how clean :)

OP
OP
George Willings

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know that. But either way, this tank will run longer than anticipated before I put anything in it. Right now the soonest would be around the end of Febuary to beginning of March at the earliest.

OP
OP
George Willings

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, got some new water readings this evening. 8.0 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrates, KH 125.3, Calcium is 340, salinity 1.024, water temp is 76.4 (might need to bring that up a bit). Green algae on the rocks turning brown. Picked up another 10 lbs of sand, letting the sand warm up to room temperature before I add a pound. I plan on adding 1 pound a week for 10 weeks unless I should add less than that. Now I need and ATO.

OP
OP
George Willings

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late February, I have 5 Nassarius snails, 2 Trochus snails, a peppermint shrimp, a few scarlet hermits, and 2 clowns. Next week will add either a frogspawn or a hammer coral as the tank is really too small to put an anemone in there and the tank is too immature.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best things I did was move to the hanna phosphate test kit. The others just weren't accurate enough. It is more expensive but I know I'm getting better readings.

OP
OP
George Willings

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna is in the future, liked their stuff, and then the reviews made me like them even more.

So today I picked up a purple tip hammer and a brain cora

Brain.jpg

Hammer.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back