Status
Not open for further replies.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean by the question.... or maybe I should say I don't know now how to answer that besides saying it looks like an aiptasia would look. I don't mean that in "saucy" way.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean by the question.... or maybe I should say I don't know now how to answer that besides saying it looks like an aiptasia would look.
Aptasia is a pest anemone but still an anemone
An anemone has thin long smooth tentacles not filter feeder like tentacles also an anemone has a noticeable flat fatter foot not a thin one and it also doesn't release from a rock like that

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an aptasia anemone
82e4d2167910dfa5238168ed2c1b5bc1.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meir, please click on the HITCHHIKER link in Renee's/Lionfish Lair signature, you'll find that member Lionfish Lair has created and maintained one of the best ID sites found today.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cool with that. I just seriously didn't know how to answer "how do you know an appy is an appy........." We must be speaking of different pictures. I was speaking of the one above my post.... 1713... Cartchemall's. Which did you think I was referring to, meir?

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1703 by jaylin
96c75e8d9aa1c66dbc16258e63f95170.jpg
sry it must have been a misunderstanding

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cool with that. I just seriously didn't know how to answer "how do you know an appy is an appy........." We must be speaking of different pictures. I was speaking of the one above my post.... 1713... Cartchemall's. Which did you think I was referring to, meir?
Ur right I didn't see that post it's an apy misunderstanding I thought u were spking abt the 1703 post by jaylin

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sry for coming over rude seriously it was a wrong way to answer that tho not as an excuse but the whole day I've been seeing these kinds of polyps coming up and ppl are saying that they are this they are that while if they were to look it up they wld immediately see how it's not possible that it wld be that and it just gets a bit frustrating so again I'm very sry

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*insert announcer-type voice*

And this very confusion is why I'm so SO happy to announce, Reef2Reef's brand spankin' new section, -->"Hitchhiker's & Critter ID"<--. It's the place you want to be, when you have a critter to ID".

*turn off voice*

I keep saying this, but I need to start quoting. I was actually responding to Tahoe's "second thought" response. It's totally cool to question other's guesses, but I think you got that another "way" would have been more lending to the conversation. It's all good.

Last edited:

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*insert announcer-type voice*

And this very confusion is why I'm so SO happy to announce, Reef2Reef's brand spankin' new section, -->"Hitchhiker's & Critter ID"<-- section. It's the place you want to be, when you have a critter to ID".

*turn off voice*

I keep saying this, but I need to start quoting. I was actually responding to Tahoe's "second thought" response. It's totally cool to question other's guesses, but I think you got that another "way" would have been more lending to the conversation. It's all good.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji13][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji108][emoji23]
I'm loving it [emoji108]

Last edited:

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1465471927.081080.jpg

Ok bad photo but I have another hitchhiker I've been monitoring. There is some kind of hiker on the top of this turbo snail top right lump in the picture of the turbo. Alittle story behind it. It actually came on another turbo snail I had it since died and my pistol shrimp is using his shell as a door well this hitchhiker came off that she'll and climbed onto the rock above the shrimps cave then when this snail in the pic came by it climbed onto its shell. Any ideas what it may be and is this thing harmful or maybe what killed my other turbo? Also it has like white tentacles or legs that'll peak out from underneath where it attaches. The hitchhikers shell is kind of flat with alittle dome to it.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing based on description Limpet, could be a slipper limpet. Google images of Slipper Limpet and see if that is a match. For a better images turn down the blue LED up the whites, move back a tad and do not use saturation to edit the image.

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nailed it that's it. So it doesn't seem like a bad hitchhiker. What do you think is he safe. Also thanks for the pic taking advice.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef safe as in the Limpet does not eat corals. If I remember correctly though they are parasitic to snails, they slowly bore through the shell of the snail, very very slow process. I will have to double check that for sure though. I would not intervene. The Limpet does not reproduce enough to become invasive in a tank and it's not going to kill the snail quickly.

And you're welcome. :D Taking images under LED is a huge challenge.

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agggh could be why the last turbo snail died. That it was attached to. Makes me wanna yank that blood sucker out of there.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agggh could be why the last turbo snail died. That it was attached to. Makes me wanna yank that blood sucker out of there.

Snails in newer tanks die for a number of reasons, primarily starvation or water chemistry issues.

Let me look around to verify the parasitic aspect. ;)

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea they sold me a bunch when my tank cycled it's been up and running for 8 months now and dry base rock there wasn't much to eat and I didn't know lol. Now the rock looks alive with stuff everywhere. I looked on lionfish hitchhiker page and you were correct looks identical to the skipper limpet. But on there it said score so maybe he will be a cool addition

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am not finding anything regarding being parasitic. Perhaps Renee will be able to clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back