Got a new tank upgrade and can’t wait to show you when I get it set up but in mean time how do people mix tangs what is the compatibility

Lilly Moore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what the compatibility of different tangs I could keep I’ve done research but I keep getting confused I just wish there was a list that told you what specific tangs go together same with other fish I’ve found compatibility charts but it just says yes or no on the species not the type of fish if that makes any sense
So for all those big reefers or the ones that know a ton could y’all make some list

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be easiest to just know your tank size & dimensions and which tangs you are wanting. If you have those, I'll have some opinions.

There are some general rules go by, in my experience:
Tangs don't like each other. With enough room and food, they tolerate each other.

Mixing tangs from different genera is usually easier than mixing two in the same genus. For example, a yellow and kole works better in a smaller tank than a yellow and a purple.

There are some that get really big, like the sailfins and any Naso species.

There are some that are hyper aggressive as they mature, like sohal and clown.

Here is a really long thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.215698/

OP
OP
Lilly Moore

Lilly Moore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 230 that’s a 72x26x24
Including the sump it’s 72x26x60

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nereefpat has you pointed in the right direction. The good news is you have a nice size tank. The trick is to read-up, and keep reading, and chose wisely so that you tank has your 2-3 “favorites”— because obviously you can’t keep adding an unlimited number of Tangs. (Lol.)

Just as a ‘for instance,’ I do have Purple Tang (on the shy side!?) and a Blue Eyed Kole tang in a 150 gallon, and there has never been a problem. But personally I wouldn’t add a third Tang to my 150 and risk spoiling a good thing. ;)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back