Got a tank for 10.- ! Help needed, how much is it worth and how to fix it?

zcedric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks

I got an Acrylic Sea Clear Aquarium for 10 bucks on Facebook market. I ran, hopped in my car as fast as i can when I saw the post. I was supper happy that I was the one who got it for 10.-. The guy who had it bought a house and it was laying in his house.. and he didn't know what to do with it.. I believe he also head no clue how much this is worth.

I don't see any cracks or leaks.. i still need to make a water test. I can do that ones I have some water around.. lol

Questions.. how much do you think is it really worth (300.. maybe more)? and what equitment should i use to polish it? There are some scratches on the visible sides which i want gone. I think new they are around 1600.. maybe I looked it up wrong.

Thank you all for help!!
WIN_20200301_20_49_17_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200301_20_49_34_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200301_20_49_47_Pro.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your best bet may be to check the local listings on Craigslist for a comparable tank or check with the people in your local club. Tanks can vary widely from area to area - what may be $500 in one location may only be $100 in another. Good luck!

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it holds water, thats a steal. I paid $180 for similar tank (5' x 18" x 24)
For polishing, I have step by step info in my build thread, so you can look there (its long, so i am not going to copy/paste lol). In short, it depends on how bad scratches are, how deep, and how many. You may need to sand whole tank down with various sand paper grits, and then use Novus 3, 2 and 1 to finsh it off, or you may be able to use just Novus 3, 2 and 1. If scratches are just in few spots, you may be able to just sand that area instead of whole tank.

Good luck

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The potential problem will be making the acrylic look reasonable again...... a HUGE task. Not too expensive, but dozens of hours to polish the inside and exterior if its scratched up. Even worse with that heavy eurobracing.

OP
OP
zcedric

zcedric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it holds water, thats a steal. I paid $180 for similar tank (5' x 18" x 24)
For polishing, I have step by step info in my build thread, so you can look there (its long, so i am not going to copy/paste lol). In short, it depends on how bad scratches are, how deep, and how many. You may need to sand whole tank down with various sand paper grits, and then use Novus 3, 2 and 1 to finsh it off, or you may be able to use just Novus 3, 2 and 1. If scratches are just in few spots, you may be able to just sand that area instead of whole tank.

Good luck

I will check out your post! Thank you

OP
OP
zcedric

zcedric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The potential problem will be making the acrylic look reasonable again...... a HUGE task. Not too expensive, but dozens of hours to polish the inside and exterior if its scratched up. Even worse with that heavy eurobracing.

That's true. the bracing can get in the way for working on it. Good thing that i have more time than money. lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back