Got Aiptasia? Check out our Aiptasia eating filefish chowing down!

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Y'all

We know hobbyists want Matted filefish that eat already Aiptasia, so we feed our matted filefish aiptasia and hydroids weekly so they can recognize them in your tanks. Check out the GoPro video below. If you have a huge Aiptasia problem I recommend a few of these guys with our peppermint shrimp to finish up the job.

You can get them directly from our site below:

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested but are my LPS and Acros doomed once it finishes off the Aiptasia?

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's more on a fish by fish basis, they've never seen or tasted corals so it depends. We've had model citizens over the years in tanks at our offices and still do but most recently we had to grab one out of our 300G for picking on our poccilapora. The good thing is they're very easy to catch compared to other fish and we didn't have to move any of the rockwork.

They also get fed tons of prepared diets on top of the aiptasia so they're super easy to keep when they've done their task.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can eat my poccilapora if it wants to, the things a weed . Its subzero here in Wisconsin right now. I will place an order when the mercury rises.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think they will eat majonos as well?
Unfortunately, I can't give an accurate answer on that. We've done our best to keep majanos out of our facility because they are very annoying to get rid of. But Aiptasia and hydroids they do very well at.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your website, it lists the peppermint shrimp feed on pellet and aptasia. Are you feeding them aptasia, and would that guarantee them feeding on the aptasia in my tank?

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your website, it lists the peppermint shrimp feed on pellet and aptasia. Are you feeding them aptasia, and would that guarantee them feeding on the aptasia in my tank?
We also throw rocks and corals with aiptasia on them in the tank with the peppermint shrimp. They do a great job cleaning them up but we noticed they mostly go after the smaller aiptasia. They also do most of their work at night as well.

I think the best way to tackle a huge aiptasia problem is a combination of matted filefish and peppermint shrimp or high powered laser (with proper eye protection) and peppermints.

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the radial filefish eat aptasia as well?

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't keep them together here but about 6 months ago I had a customer try it in their 40 Gallon and she said they get along perfectly. I think it helps that they were added at the same time and she does have good amount of rockwork in the tank.

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Y'all

We know hobbyists want Matted filefish that eat already Aiptasia, so we feed our matted filefish aiptasia and hydroids weekly so they can recognize them in your tanks. Check out the GoPro video below. If you have a huge Aiptasia problem I recommend a few of these guys with our peppermint shrimp to finish up the job.

You can get them directly from our site below:

What kind of hydroids do you feed them?

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of hydroids do you feed them?
There's a few naturally occurring hydroids that pop up in our systems either stemming from our natural seawater use years ago or when we feed out artemia (maybe piggy backing from cysts) but they're relatively small, fast growing hydroids.

We have a small tank filled with liverock that's circulating in the system and once some rocks are covered they go right into the filefish tanks and are spotless within a few hours.

cweye2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two questions re: Filefish
1. Is a 16 gal Biocube tank too small?
2. Any comparability issues with Clownfish?
Thanks!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also throw rocks and corals with aiptasia on them in the tank with the peppermint shrimp. They do a great job cleaning them up but we noticed they mostly go after the smaller aiptasia. They also do most of their work at night as well.

I think the best way to tackle a huge aiptasia problem is a combination of matted filefish and peppermint shrimp or high powered laser (with proper eye protection) and peppermints.
I’ve got an INFESTATION of aiptasia in my 210G tank.... I’ve tried a laser, 25 nudibranchs, countless bottles of F-Aiptasia and nothing has worked so far. There’s probably a thousand of them, no exaggeration, the rocks look fuzzy and some are quite large, almost the size of euphyllia heads.
Do you think a combo of the shrimp and filefish would do any good in this situation?
Or am I just a lost cause LOL

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 153

MW319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got an INFESTATION of aiptasia in my 210G tank.... I’ve tried a laser, 25 nudibranchs, countless bottles of F-Aiptasia and nothing has worked so far. There’s probably a thousand of them, no exaggeration, the rocks look fuzzy and some are quite large, almost the size of euphyllia heads.
Do you think a combo of the shrimp and filefish would do any good in this situation?
Or am I just a lost cause LOL
Sad Jim Carrey GIF

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they ever get territorial towards one another? I have a single file fish that been in the tank for a few years, dang thing never touched a single aiptasia but id consider getting 1 or 2 small ones from you since theyre raised on eating aiptasia

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....yea.... everything we try seems to either do nothing (nudibranchs) or make them worse (F-Aiptasia and Aiptasia-X)
And we’ve held off on the shrimp since sometimes they eat LPS but at this point if we don’t do something I’ll end up tearing down the tank

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....yea.... everything we try seems to either do nothing (nudibranchs) or make them worse (F-Aiptasia and Aiptasia-X)
And we’ve held off on the shrimp since sometimes they eat LPS but at this point if we don’t do something I’ll end up tearing down the tank
Im in the same boat. Anywhere theres not coral theres aiptasia in my 265g. Population has got to be over 1000. Tried nudis twice but i think my wrasses got them, tried peppermint shrimp, ate coral immediately so i had to take it out, copperband butterfly ate a few when i got it but he quickly switched to only eating frozen and never touched them after, file fish went striaght to frozen, never touched them. Not even going to bother with chemicals or killing individuals cause the population will never get dented and theyll just grow back quick.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 46 32.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back