Got Aiptasia? Check out our Aiptasia eating filefish chowing down!

bugzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 65 gallon. And at this point, I'd guess somewhere between 50-100 aiptasia of various sizes.

Biota filefish arrives today! I was hoping to also add 4 of their Lysmata wurdemanni peppermint shrimp as well but they are out of stock.

I'm also thinking of trying this "Aiptasia Death Juice" concoction: https://www.ultimatereef.net/thread...orks-well-on-nuisance-coral-and-algae.817613/

As I understand it, the death juice can't be applied in large amounts (the original poster suggests no more than 5 mL at a time). So, I'm thinking once a week right before my weekly water change I'll use a small amount of the death juice to kill off 2 or 3 of the bigger aiptasia and let the filefish go after the smaller ones and/or the ones in spots I can't see or reach.
How’s the file fish working?

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the file fish working?

Thanks for asking, @bugzy. So far, it's mixed.

I *might* have seen him pick at a few tiny, baby aiptasia though it is inconclusive. On the other hand, I have not seen him pick at any of my many corals. So that's good.

I feel like I've read it can take them weeks to really get going on eating the aiptasia.....??? So I remain hopeful.

Also hoping to add 3-4 peppermint shrimp from @Biota_Marine as soon as they have the large ones available. I have a melanurus so I don't want to get small peppermints and provide him expensive snacks :)

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine - any idea when you're going to get more peppermint shrimp in stock? want to pick that up along with the filefish.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care if filefish eat aiptasia or not... I think they are unique and have such amazing personalities! It's too bad people don't recognize that. They can change colors and pattern too.. just cool dudes!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care if filefish eat aiptasia or not... I think they are unique and have such amazing personalities! It's too bad people don't recognize that. They can change colors and pattern too.. just cool dudes!
Yea real cool till they start to eat your corals. Most of us have been thru this already.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back