Got all the algae now, quest to beating dinos. Would like all of your 2 cents please

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current parameters: nitrate 15ish (using salifert) phosphate is 0.6-0.12 (i use hanna ulr checker, after like 4 test in a week this is what they seem to be. Right now its 0.6)
Has a tunze 9001 skimmer and I just added a refugium a few days ago
Type of dinos? idk both the floating and sand dwelling seem to be in the tank to me. So im tackling both
The tank was cycled with about 50lb of carib sea dry rock and like 15lb of live rock. After mistakenly allowing my nutrients to be high because of stuff I've read online always caused me to have algae. Mainly lots of gha and I had cyano like once. I would do weekly water changes of 10g for my 40 breeder, N was always around 20 and my old api one never read P. After so many months of gha I start doing bigger water changes, after 3 weeks of these bigger water changes I noticed a tiny bit of dinos so I stopped. A few days later I check the nitrate and it dropped to 0. No gha or diatoms on glass but now it was dinos, Its been about 3-4 weeks since that happened. I stopped doing water changes but my nitrate went well above 25. So I did some smaller ones to get that back down. I ended up adding a refugium A few days ago to help with that and It's been great at lowering my N and P. The drops and spikes in N and P stressed all my anenomes but I'm trying to stabilize the tank at around 10ppm nitrate or lower. With the algae I currently have growing can that out compete the dinos? What should I do? I see dinos can grow on the gha thats on the glass and stuff. I have diatoms back aswell

Image (4).jpeg Image (3).jpeg Image (2).jpeg Image (1).jpeg Image.jpeg

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents:
fluconazole 9mg/L
(Remove carbon, stop UV)
Add GFO 3rd day (much better on a reactor).
Wait 21 days. Fluconazole again 9mg/L
Keep phos low - change gfo if necessary.
Forget dinos for a while.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh okay okay wasn't sure. Dinos usually bloom in nutrients are at 0 ? Could it be something else ?

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents:
fluconazole 9mg/L
(Remove carbon, stop UV)
Add GFO 3rd day (much better on a reactor).
Wait 21 days. Fluconazole again 9mg/L
Keep phos low - change gfo if necessary.
Forget dinos for a while.
Like the rx flux?
Ahh okay okay wasn't sure. Dinos usually bloom in nutrients are at 0 ? Could it be something else ?
im sorry. Did you read what I typed above? I detailed everything. You’re making me rephrase stuff

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t that for bryopsis? The last thing I need is to kill any algae that can put compete Dino’s… your strategy will make the Dino’s worse. Trying to use gha and diatoms to out compete Dino’s,
Nope. Other algae dies (turf, derbesia, GHA), Chaeto frequently survives.

Helping people with dinos over time, I’ve seen this strategy solving or at least making dinos a lot more scarce. I know it is not that intuitive…

I didn’t ask much about nutrients because of the tank’s shot. Even if they get to 0, I know in tank they are tremendously high.

Experimentally it worked many times. My theoretical interpretations are that:

1 - eutrophication is making everyone happy including dinos

2 - possible moments of extreme algae growth makes nutrients on the water often very low, some algae are resilient to this and microbial population decreases, creating the space for dino growth… and this goes on in waves…

Check the bottom of this page.

I say 10mg/L on that post only because we do that frequently here in Brazil without issues. Whenever I remember I use 9 on the forum to avoid confusion, because it is considered maximum dosage around here (but I’ve tested and seen more than that, many times).

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d...earned-over-the-years-to-deal-with-it.869401/

Back