Got Blackworms? LRS now does and a freshwater food as well....

Discussion in 'LRS Frenzy Foods' started by ReefFrenzy, Nov 12, 2014.

1. ReefFrenzy

ReefFrenzy Shrimp Pimp R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

If anyone has been following along on our Facebook page since MACNA you might have noticed we have been doing a bunch of traveling to visit some prominent folks in the hobby. This was not all fun and games since we have been hard at work quizzing some of the greatest minds in the industry about captive husbandry and fish health. Ever since we made our first batch of food back in 2012 the goal has always been to produce the highest quality aquarium foods, at any price.

Our sponsoring of the "G. personatus Project" gained us international exposure and truly demonstrated the quality and benefits of our foods. (In case you missed the announcement here is the link: http://www.reefs.com/blog/2014/08/30/breaking-news-genicanthus-personatus-bred-captivity/ )

Our foods continue to be used by hatcheries and other programs with exotic fish due to our diverse and complete diet with minimal water or waste. For instance many deepwater fish which would not eat other foods have taken readily to LRS. We are sending food to Osaka, Japan on a regular basis to help ensure these very expensive fish acclimate and eat after collection. (More video examples are here: http://www.larrysreefservices.com/media-gallery.html)

Well now LRS is throwing something else into the "mix" to not only entice finicky eaters to go after our foods even more, but to give our foods a nutritional boost.

BLACKWORMS....Yep you read that right....LRS has been producing samples of our "Fish Frenzy®" blend with live black worms added to the blend just before freezing so they remain intact and full of their nutritional goodness. A bunch of these sample packs have been in the hands of industry professionals who have been evaluating them with high praise over the past couple weeks. These samples also contained some "other" goodies, but more on that at a later date...

We feel the addition of blackworms to our Fish Frenzy® blend (for starters) will allow hobbyists to have even more success with delicate species such as butterflies. There are already several videos posted on the forums around the country showing copper bands eating LRS with gusto, but this should be the icing on the cake. Getting a new fish home and eating is often difficult and this blend could be a huge benefit with "finicky eaters."

Now mind you, this blend needs to be tested for a little while longer before we commit to re-labeling and getting lab tests for protein, fat, etc to be a retail product. I can tell you that several folks who breed fish both privately, and commercially are REALLY excited about the possibilities this little "tweak" offers. The blackworms seem to freeze and thaw very well and the feeding response is out of this world. Of course "live" blackworms would be optimal but not every LFS keeps them in stock so this may be the next best thing...

[​IMG]

In addition to the Fish Frenzy® blend with blackworms we are going to really (I promise) try to bring back our freshwater food. We made a non-retail freshwater food blend back in early 2013 by special order only and it sold out every time we made a few hundred packs for clubs and cichlid keepers. Folks have been asking about it for months, but the demand for the SW foods after MACNA left us no time to finalize the labels and get the "official" FW blend going.

Well since I have so many blackworms at my disposal and can't use them all in the SW foods I might as well get on the ball with the fresh water diet. This blend is a great mix of ingredients which was assembled, tested and evaluated with the help of many cichlid and discus keepers. In keeping with the LRS commitment to excellence it will only contain premium ingredients and will be free from fillers or preservatives. We expect this to hit the market right after the Christmas Holiday.

Now I have to pack for my trip to Salt Lake City tomorrow. It should be a great expo with folks like Rich Ross and others to hang out with while we tour the LFS scene.

2. Aquaph8

Aquaph8 Love The Fish R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Moderator Emeritus

Love that you added black worms to the mix, I need me some of that :)

3. Aqua fire/medic

Aqua fire/medic Valuable Member

Epic!

4. ReefFrenzy

We feel the blackworms will be another HUGE benefit of LRS foods going forward. To my knowledge no other manufacturer offers blackworms in a "complete" blended product which offers complete nutrition AND caters to finicky eaters. Our ultra fresh ingredients including shrimp,scallop, whitefish, perch, clams, blackworms and other foods are extensively rinsed which enables us to offer superior nutrition without polluting your tank with excess nutrients. The list of folks switching to LRS keeps growing by the hour so be sure and check our Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/larrysreefservices) for updates from our trip to Salt Lake City tomorrow.
    We will be visiting and hopefully feeding some pretty awesome tanks which thrive on LRS foods!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  5. tyler1503

tyler1503 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor

Larry, do you have any aussie stores selling your foods? I'd love to try some!

6. ReefFrenzy

Ohhh wow. From what I hear AU is impossible to ship to. Even if I could pack enough dry ice to get the food to you in 2-3 days I hear your customs is too strict. I am humbled by your interest from so far away and I am sorry I don't have better news.

7. tyler1503

tyler1503 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor

Our customs are incredibly strict from what I hear so I was expecting that lol. Couldn't hurt to ask though!
    Hopefully in time there will be some changes made to make shipping here more realistic :)
    I really want to try your chunky fish frenzy mix!

8. stunreefer

stunreefer Reef Hugger R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Photo of the Month Award

This. Food. Is. The. ****.

9. ReefFrenzy

Well the first review of our new blend, still undergoing testing is in! So far the feedback across the board has been very positive. Hopefully some of the breeders will give us feedback shortly!

LRS Fish Frenzy adds Live Blackworms - reefs.com

10. ReefFrenzy

Double Post.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  11. Aquaph8

Aquaph8 Love The Fish R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Moderator Emeritus

How long till we get to try this stuff out Larry?

12. ReefFrenzy

I have a few packs of the "beta-batch" left in the freezer now, but it is sized for smaller fish and breaks up easily like in the video posted in the blog. Based on the feedback from the professionals evaluating the food now we will make any required "tweaks" before we roll it out to stores. I would think updated guaranteed analysis testing and revised ingredient labels will be completed to enable shipping before Christmas. As always we want to fully test it before release.

13. Eienna

Eienna Valuable Member

Ooooh.

14. Shep

Shep Acan Connoisseur Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa

This looks awesome, I am sure my fish will love it.

15. saltyhog

saltyhog blowing bubbles somewhere R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019

Sure now you do this when I've stock piled 6 flats in my freezer! LOL. Continuous innovation is coming to be the norm for you Larry! Look forward to trying the new blend!

16. Rsaalman

Rsaalman Dysfunctional Veteran

Well I only have two clowns and a multicolored angel so I would gladly take a beta batch for small fish.

17. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Well there goes your "fit for human consumption" claim!!! Lol Will you be making nano packs also?

18. stunreefer

stunreefer Reef Hugger R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Photo of the Month Award

[​IMG]

19. ReefFrenzy

Well we received some awesome feedback from our initial batch of food with black worms and we continue to get emails from folks having fish spawn and breed for the first time ever after switching to our foods. Vossen Aquatics, LLC in Minnesota (Edited) posted this pic on our FB page. Chad stated the pair had been spawning since the Summer but never held the eggs to term until switching to the LRS blends. We also have another breeder poised to convert over 50 pairs of fish over to LRS exclusively and monitor the results over the next few months. We hope to have some quantifiable data to document that LRS foods can dramatically increase spawning behavior and hatch rates due to the nutrition and probiotic component. Stay tuned for more on that. The guaranteed analysis test results for the Fish Frenzy® with black worms should be in house within a week or so and we can move forward to update our ingredient labels. We can hopefully get this shipping after Christmas.
    Photo credit: Vossen Aquatics, LLC

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  20. Pumbooris

Pumbooris Active Member

Duuuude vossen aquatics is out of Minnesota.....im looking forward trying out this new blend tho!

Draft saved Draft deleted