Got Frag Tanks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef News

Latest Reef News
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frag.jpg

Frag tanks are a great place to store frags and can even help to fund the hobby by selling frags back to your LFS or other hobbyists!

Do you have a frag tank setup? If so, is it plumbed with your display?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chadthresher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is cool. I just set up a frag tank this week and yes I plumbed it into my sump for my main tank. I got the tank and racks from Advanced Aquatics and it is very nice

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag tank but I do not have it plumbed with my main system as I don't believe in doing that lol I know others will say different but my theory is, I use my frag tank to host back up corals from my display plus the corals I have excess of until I sell. If my display tank has a problem and wipes out my corals then if its plumbed together there is a good chance it will take out the frag tank so that's why I don't do that.

Chadthresher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag tank but I do not have it plumbed with my main system as I don't believe in doing that lol I know others will say different but my theory is, I use my frag tank to host back up corals from my display plus the corals I have excess of until I sell. If my display tank has a problem and wipes out my corals then if its plumbed together there is a good chance it will take out the frag tank so that's why I don't do that.

What size the tank and what type of filtration/light did you choose?

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Reef Radiance Led with 2 simple aquaclear filters for for chemical and biological, plus I keep live rock in the frag tank also. The frag tank gallon wise I'm not real sure actually cause it was a built tank but it is 26x17x12. I use Purigen in the tank instead of skimming and it does great, I keep anything from sps to mushrooms in there, I use frag racks to my advantage to help with lower light corals.

BryanS4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do the same thing myself. A lot of folks in my area plumb into their main system, but I always wondered why one would go that route. For me it just makes more sense to have a stand alone frag tank in case something goes wrong with the display.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same thing myself. A lot of folks in my area plumb into their main system, but I always wondered why one would go that route. For me it just makes more sense to have a stand alone frag tank in case something goes wrong with the display.
Exactly

Chadthresher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well there are benefits when inline to a main tank. Really the only advantages to me on a stand alone might be location and as a back up in case you have a main system failure. If that does happen your only saving a fraction of it, which I agree in some cases that could be a lot if you frag rare/expensive corals.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea there is deffinently a pro and con to both of the setups. I use to have mine plumbed all together but i had a tragic tank crash and lost over 10K in corals, fish, Inverts in my display and frag tank and my sump that i used for frags also. I just figured less variables to losing everything was better for my nerves lol.

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently setting up a new one. 48x36x14. Stand alone as it's mainly a back up for my main and anything I have extra.

PharmaSki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag tank plumbed so I can run it with my main tank or on its own. It currently runs on its own but will shortly be switching it over to run with my main tank. Just like gcrawford said above the biggest reason for that is so the frag tank can benefit from all of the equipment I have.

I use my frag tank more as a grow out tank or place to temporarily store frags while I decide where to put them or sell them.

If you want a good insurance policy on your coral, give a frag to a friend as soon as one is available. They are likely to be running expensive equipment of their own and dedicating a lot of time to maintaining their own tank. If something goes awry with your system you can simply get a frag back when you are ready.

BryanS4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is still very young Oct 15', so not much in the tank yet. Still waiting another month or so before added back ups of my nicer sps.

kQIzKTs.jpg

Chadthresher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that will help decide my new tank, Ive been looking at some Deep Blue frag tanks and thinking about pulling the trigger.[/QUOTE

I got one from Avanced Acrylics I had said earlier Avanced aquatics but that was a mistake I am very happy with it. Advancedacrylics.com

image.jpeg

Chadthresher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would consider having the bottom piece solid white if possible where ever you decide to get it. I ended up putting a piece of backer board under my tank

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back