Got input/advice for switching lights?

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have 2 AI Prime 16HD lights that are over my 65gal tank. It was my first tank so I got into the hobby on a budget. Found out the hard way these lights were not the best for deep tanks. Well I was debating going T5 or stay with LED. Decided to get the reefbrite 5 strip fixture cause I got it for a decent price and was already looking into 1-2 strips to supplement my primes. Its a pretty big upgrade so what advice do you have that I should look into when doing the switch over? I know changing lights can be very detrimental if not done properly but it needs to be done. My spread is terrible throughout my tank currently and at the intensity I have the primes I dont think I'm getting the best spectrum for coral growth. Thanks for any and all input.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go T5. If it's a 3' 65gal look for a used 3' 6 bulb ATI non dimmable. If you already have a reefbrite strip you are halfway there. Reefbrite/t5 is money.

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go T5. If it's a 3' 65gal look for a used 3' 6 bulb ATI non dimmable. If you already have a reefbrite strip you are halfway there. Reefbrite/t5 is money.
You think the T5 will outperform the reefbrites? Obviously I know the T5s are tried and true for many years, its why they are still around. Kinda my selling point on the reefbrites was I can get the 5 strip fixture for the same price as the ATI 6 bulb fixture, well $100 more but then wont have to change bulbs. Its hard finding a used 3' 6 lamp fixture, at least I haven't seen any recently.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the reefbrite fixture you are talking about, but running an xho strip along with a t5 fixture is amazing. The 3' ati do seem to pop up less often. I'd definitely buy used if possible. Changing bulbs once a year isn't bad. Knowing that it's only $20ea for a replacement ballast, and that your t5 fixture is going to last decades is priceless though. I'd recommend a horticulture fixture in a heartbeat but they just don't make any of the good ones in 3' unfortunately.

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the reefbrite fixture you are talking about, but running an xho strip along with a t5 fixture is amazing. The 3' ati do seem to pop up less often. I'd definitely buy used if possible. Changing bulbs once a year isn't bad. Knowing that it's only $20ea for a replacement ballast, and that your t5 fixture is going to last decades is priceless though. I'd recommend a horticulture fixture in a heartbeat but they just don't make any of the good ones in 3' unfortunately.
The reefbrite fixture is just 5 of the strips on a bracket, 3 of the actinic and 2 of their 50/50 strips. I know I can get 4ft horticulture t5 fixtures pretty cheap. Cheaper than I paid for one prime lol.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back