Got LifeReef ??? Show us your LifeReef Sumps, Skimmers, and Anything else you may have by LifeReef.

diemaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’d be fine with running the skimmer externally. Do you run an Apex? Perhaps you could run a float switch in the cup in combination with a few leak detectors at the base of the skimmer to shut down the skimmer if any issues arise.
I do run a full apex system I was thinking I could put a sensor in the collection cup to just the skimmer does if it gets triggered

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted to run it with an internal pump, look at the Fluval SP6. I know the gph seems excessive at 3434 gph, but remember, it’s not a pressure rated pump. I ran a Fluval SP4 at 1880 gph on my old 24” Lifereef with great success.

U

User1

View Badges
The Pan World Blueline 40x HD would absolutely crush the COR15 in performance. It’s a pressure rated pump. In fact, I’m not even a fan of the COR15 on the 24” Lifereef, though some have used it with okay results.

I use a Cor 15 and it works fine. I also had a Cor 20 hooked up for a bit and went back to the 15. I run all Cor pumps mainly for redundancy and swapping should something happen. I believe Jeff @ lifereef prefers AC pumps though to be honest. My skimmer dates back to a 2000 year build and the original pump was the Iwaki. If you have a Cor sitting idle you could always hook it up and see how it performs and judge.

Keep in mind that you are running a pump with little to no head height. I can't judge other pumps since I've not used them.

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine, finally got it dialed in. Have a sump coming in July.

573BE2EF-7A5E-4019-8536-6BF7FE5AD85C.jpeg 6D80B1BD-3100-49B4-A9CC-0096A6E590FE.jpeg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Cor 15 and it works fine. I also had a Cor 20 hooked up for a bit and went back to the 15. I run all Cor pumps mainly for redundancy and swapping should something happen. I believe Jeff @ lifereef prefers AC pumps though to be honest. My skimmer dates back to a 2000 year build and the original pump was the Iwaki. If you have a Cor sitting idle you could always hook it up and see how it performs and judge.

Keep in mind that you are running a pump with little to no head height. I can't judge other pumps since I've not used them.

The Panworld Blueline 40 vs COR15 is in discussion for use on a 48” Lifereef.

diemaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m going to hook it up to a core 20 I have for now until the hole saw shows up in the mail then I’ll plumb it it with the blueline I’ll let you know how it works out

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guy's I'm new to the Life reef game I bought a VS3-60, 60" tall skimmer I have a few questions

1. Can this skimmer be run in sump? I'm terrified of the unit overflowing and draining my tank

2. I also got the Blueline 40x HD pump external I know I'm wondering if this pump sits out side my sump is it able to pull water up over the edge of my sump and down to the skimmer in feed or does it really need to be setup with a bulk head at the bottom edge of my sump?

i'm thinking which every I run it that I would feed the skimmer with a core 15 pump which puts out more then the blueline
Well I’m going to hook it up to a core 20 I have for now until the hole saw shows up in the mail then I’ll plumb it it with the blueline I’ll let you know how it works out
You can run it over the edge without issue. I ran 3 that way, return, closed loop, beckett skimmer. I am running one now over the edge. Try it that way, and if you like the pump you can always drill the sump. If you drill the sump, then don't like it, you'll have a hole to plug.
I'm running a COR20 at 100% on my 24"

diemaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run it over the edge without issue. I ran 3 that way, return, closed loop, beckett skimmer. I am running one now over the edge. Try it that way, and if you like the pump you can always drill the sump. If you drill the sump, then don't like it, you'll have a hole to plug.
I'm running a COR20 at 100% on my 24"
Are you saying you ran the same style of pump as the blue line up over the edge? I don’t think it pull water like that

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying you ran the same style of pump as the blue line up over the edge? I don’t think it pull water like that
Ran 3 like that on an older system, running one now on my 120g over the edge to supply my chiller.
Current set up in my basement. This is fed over the edge.
This is a Blueline pump.

IMG_0457-XL.jpg

IMG_0455-XL.jpg

Last edited:

diemaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran 3 like that on an older system, running one now on my 120g over the edge to supply my chiller.
Current set up in my basement. this is feed over the edge.
This is a Blueline pump.

IMG_0457-XL.jpg

IMG_0455-XL.jpg
Ok I didn’t think these pumps would pull water I’ll give that a go thank you

diemaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won’t just start drawing water. They need to be primed. But once done, you can turn them on or off without having to re-prime. Only time you need to re-prime is if you break prime.
Makes sense I’ll install a check valve to keep it primed

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense I’ll install a check valve to keep it primed
You won't need a check value either. It really a simple set up.
Just keep the inlet end under water and it will keep prime. Basically you are creating a siphon from the sump, over the top edge to the pump. To prime the system, simple slide a piece of air line tubing up into the "U" pipe to the top, and suck the air out. Once it's started, it will stay like that until you remove the inlet tube from the water and break the siphon.
Sorry for the crude drawing.
Skimmer Diagram.jpg

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pan World Blueline 40x HD would absolutely crush the COR15 in performance. It’s a pressure rated pump. In fact, I’m not even a fan of the COR15 on the 24” Lifereef, though some have used it with okay results.
Could you please recommend an AC pump to use on my 24" life reef? A few weeks back I mentioned the idea of using a Sicce SDC 6.0 (rated for 1400gph I think) on my LifeReef to help with efficiency, but if an AC pump is better and more than 1400gph would help then I'd consider upgrading to a better AC pump.

Prefer the Sicce brand but if you recommend those fluval sea pumps (mentioned later in this thread) I know that would be a cheaper alternative.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions & input!

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please recommend an AC pump to use on my 24" life reef? A few weeks back I mentioned the idea of using a Sicce SDC 6.0 (rated for 1400gph I think) on my LifeReef to help with efficiency, but if an AC pump is better and more than 1400gph would help then I'd consider upgrading to a better AC pump.

Prefer the Sicce brand but if you recommend those fluval sea pumps (mentioned later in this thread) I know that would be a cheaper alternative.

I'm running a COR20 on my 24", works great. But if it ever craps out, I'm going with a Sicce Syncra ADV 7.0 or 9.0
It's still a DC pump, but it doesn't have a controller. I've read people using them, and like the results.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fluval SP4

Sicce ADV 7.0

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a COR20 on my 24", works great. But if it ever craps out, I'm going with a Sicce Syncra ADV 7.0 or 9.0
It's still a DC pump, but it doesn't have a controller. I've read people using them, and like the results.
I have the SDC9.0 for my return pump and that thing is A BEAST. Bit of a Sicce fanboy over here. I think I have about a dozen sicce pumps :) Can't go wrong with Italian made pumps!

rmchoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why stop using sponges?

Two reasons, I hated cleaning them weekly and it turned out it did not compromise water quality. I did it for the first reason, but I was by chance that it worked out. When I pulled the sponge filters, the system was a couple years old, I added a large cheato refugium, plus a large mangrove refugium and my SPS had become quite large. All together, they likely take up the nutrients from removing the filters. Here is picture of a 8 gallon size ball of cheato. I remove half that each month. That in itself acts like a filter. As far as timing, more luck than smart. Without these factors, I would be using mechanical filtration, which is generally best practice. Thanks for asking—

diemaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't need a check value either. It really a simple set up.
Just keep the inlet end under water and it will keep prime. Basically you are creating a siphon from the sump, over the top edge to the pump. To prime the system, simple slide a piece of air line tubing up into the "U" pipe to the top, and suck the air out. Once it's started, it will stay like that until you remove the inlet tube from the water and break the siphon.
Sorry for the crude drawing.
Skimmer Diagram.jpg

thank you worked like a charm

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%

Back