Got LifeReef ??? Show us your LifeReef Sumps, Skimmers, and Anything else you may have by LifeReef.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH - is correct place your finger over the elbow does it reduce the noise it sounds like your hearing the echo.

My CO2 scrubber has a y connection off it with two selonoids one that goes back to the skimmer cup the other to the CO2 scrubber.

I have a mag12 pump off mine and can not hear it slamming the bottom of the skimmer.

I did have noise like a gurgle but I fixed that by raising my water level in the sump so when the water exists the skimmer it even with it.

I placed just for additional noise anti vibration pad under the pump (came with it) and even thou the skimmer did not need it did one also under the skimmer.

My blueline return pump is the noise maker now :)

Jgarcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I did put my finger over it and no difference. Probaly cause there is a small breathing hole in the top.

Jgarcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH - is correct place your finger over the elbow does it reduce the noise it sounds like your hearing the echo.

My CO2 scrubber has a y connection off it with two selonoids one that goes back to the skimmer cup the other to the CO2 scrubber.

I have a mag12 pump off mine and can not hear it slamming the bottom of the skimmer.

I did have noise like a gurgle but I fixed that by raising my water level in the sump so when the water exists the skimmer it even with it.

I placed just for additional noise anti vibration pad under the pump (came with it) and even thou the skimmer did not need it did one also under the skimmer.

My blueline return pump is the noise maker now :)
I’m gonna try and raise the water line when I get home today.
I already have a silicon pad under the pump. Neptune Core pumps already run super silent.
The sounds I think I hear:
Gurgling vibration through the Venturi manifold.
The water/air slamming in the skimmer its self.
Check my video I posted recently on this thread.

JeffT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a comment about the Lifereef Venturi process vs needle-wheels.... The Lifereef Venturi Protein skimmer is a more efficient skimmer, and as such will make more noise than the whimpy pumps used in needle-wheels and their tiny venturis and tiny bubbles. If you are wanting performance then use the Lifereef, if your only concern is dead silent then use a needle-wheel. I think the water quality is more important than vanity issues. When all companies used to make venturi skimmers not much was said about the noise issue, it was part of having a decent protein skimmer (and the Lifereef was still quieter than many others) but with the advent of the needle-wheel skimmers the hobbyist has been pacified into thinking all skimmers must be silent. Silence is less efficient, some noise is performance, but that noise is coming from more bubble action and bubbles of various sizes that enhance the transport of solids and proteins into the cup.

JeffT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2000 model skimmer of his and it is loud - but not the venture. It is how the water exits the skimmer that makes the noise. This will probably vary depending on how high you maintain a water level in the sump but that is the only noise I hear from mine. Also powered by a Cor 15 running at 65% at the moment.
If you plumb the skimmer exit so it is slightly under water then this noise will go away.

U

User1

View Badges
@JeffT Yes, it will. I wasn't sure if that would put back pressure and skew the adjustments I have made so only trying to do one thing at a time. To be fair that is really the only noise - the venturi to me does not seem loud. Both will go away if I wrap / skin my stand. Right now it is open so thus the noise. I'm using one of your sumps so trying to manage the water height within reason. My skimmer is from 2000 (or 2001, forget exactly) - not sure if you have many any changes to the base sump which I recently picked up a couple months back.

I'll try the plumbing / 90 return - sounds like the solution. Thanks - great product.

JeffT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting up my life reef skimmer. I have his full sump set up..
My skimmer to me sounds pretty loud. Vs my reef octopus. In my other sump for my other tank. I’m using a cor-15. I rigged a silencer for the air intake.
So that is silent. But I easily can hear the water shwishing around in the bottom and possibly the venture part also as it sucks in air.. not the air it’s self but the girgle vibration. This is in my living room and I need it dead silent.

Any advice/tricks???
The Lifereef Protein Skimmers have a hose on the venturi that connects to the collection cup. This feature does 6 beneficial things for the protein skimmer:
1. Keeps the venturi from clogging up with salt, a common problem with all other skimmers which is why needle-wheel skimmers require frequent adjustment, that tiny venturi is clogging with salt. This won't happen with the Lifereef skimmer as long as the hose is connected to the cup.
2. Muffles the venturi air suction noise. The Lifereef Venturi process pulls in much more air than does a tiny needle-wheel venturi. More air equals more bubbles and more performance removing proteins and solids.
3. Circulates the air within the skimmer so room atmosphere and air quality won't interfere with foaming. Example: Ever stick your fingers/hands into your sump or aquarium and then notice your skimmer foam disappears? This is due to the natural skin oils, and oil is a good foam killer. Same thing happens with your air, if your aquarium and skimmer are near your kitchen and you're cooking something greasy on the stove, this oil-laden air will get sucked into your skimmer and kill the foam.
4. Cup overflow protection. Rarely will a Lifereef cup overflow as any excess liquid will be sucked back into the venturi preventing overflow.
5. Ozone use.... Any residual ozone will be processed back through the venturi and into the skimmer, much more efficient than venting excess ozone into your cabinet and having to have a special ozone filter attached.
6. CO2 Scrubber use.... CO2 scrubbers require some moister content to function at peak performance, and connecting a CO2 scrubber to the venturi-cup circuit provides the perfect amount of humidity for the scubber to function.

JeffT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JeffT Yes, it will. I wasn't sure if that would put back pressure and skew the adjustments I have made so only trying to do one thing at a time. To be fair that is really the only noise - the venturi to me does not seem loud. Both will go away if I wrap / skin my stand. Right now it is open so thus the noise. I'm using one of your sumps so trying to manage the water height within reason. My skimmer is from 2000 (or 2001, forget exactly) - not sure if you have many any changes to the base sump which I recently picked up a couple months back.

I'll try the plumbing / 90 return - sounds like the solution. Thanks - great product.
If you have the skimmer exit with the nipple, right-angle elbow, and gate valve you can simply push the gate valve down below water level, it will pivot on the nipple fitting. Or, you can put an elbow on the end of the gate valve.
The only changes to the sump are: 14" wide vs 13" wide, this needed to use the new size media/bio-reactors which are 3.5" vs 3". No changes are needed to products that work as designed and hobbyists are happy!

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6. CO2 Scrubber use.... CO2 scrubbers require some moister content to function at peak performance, and connecting a CO2 scrubber to the venturi-cup circuit provides the perfect amount of humidity for the scubber to function.

Hi Jeff! How would you recommend connecting in a CO2 scrubber into the circuit? I currently have the input to the venturi connected to the scrubber and nothing connected to the cup any more. Some sort of T? How would the humidity from the cup make it's way into the co2? Would one take the output from the cup to the input to the scrubber, then out of the scrubber, into the venturi?

Jgarcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2000 model skimmer of his and it is loud - but not the venture. It is how the water exits the skimmer that makes the noise. This will probably vary depending on how high you maintain a water level in the sump but that is the only noise I hear from mine. Also powered by a Cor 15 running at 65% at the moment.
Can you show a pic of your water level?
I have mine at the top water level mark..
I have my core-15 at 60% so we are about the same.
The Venturi kinda sounds like a jet engine to me. Also putting my hand on it I can feel the cavitation of the are mixing with the water.
I also think it might be how the water/air is going into skimmer. I can really feel cavitation I’m the skimmer flange. I’m also getting really big bubbles mixed with micro bubbles.
My exit out of skimmer is silent since I used the given fittings and the water exits just under my water level
Any anyone else can you show your water level mark please

Jgarcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also thinking cause I don’t have any kind of bio load at all. Wich isn’t helping to foam very well? Your thoughts??

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Lifereef overflow for many years (15+), as well as an older skimmer on a tank in my basement that I bought second hand. I had a Lifereef float valve for my ATO system, but that recently bit the dust. I got it about the time I got the overflow, so it's at least 15 years old. I wished Jeff still made them, but he said something about not being able to get the electronics for them a few years ago when I tried to buy a spare....

Jgarcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Lifereef overflow for many years (15+), as well as an older skimmer on a tank in my basement that I bought second hand. I had a Lifereef float valve for my ATO system, but that recently bit the dust. I got it about the time I got the overflow, so it's at least 15 years old. I wished Jeff still made them, but he said something about not being able to get the electronics for them a few years ago when I tried to buy a spare....
I’m trally excited to be running his system. I just want it quiet as possible is all. Hoping to find how to run it quiet and tricks other users have done

Jgarcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys. Let me set the record straight.
In no way was I complaining about the life reef skimmer. What may be quiet to one person may be loud to another. I just barely turned it on so I’m new to his design and the only thing I had to go off of is needle wheel style. Jeff and I have had great conversations. I understand him very well my background is a union pipefitter and been doing it over 15 years. I’m just new to reefing and don’t know it all so that’s why asked if there was anything I’m missing...

For those that are concerned. Do your research check reviews. You will see his skimmers do a more efficient job than what else is available.
I have done this. So far everyone says it does a much better job pulling skimmate out of your water. Also the choice to use your own pump is awsome.
Look. Even a dc pump is still loud to me or my fans that run to keep the tank cool.
So i wasn’t complaining about sound.... period

U

User1

View Badges
All good Jgarcia. Personally speaking the water return was loud to me :) I've since added a 90 threaded elbow to the gate valve and it is 100 times better. Now I do hear the venturi a bit but like I think I noted above I still have to enclose my stand. Once that is done I think it will be normal. The only issue I'm chasing at the moment is a bit runnier or water base skim mate. I wanted or think I wanted something a bit more dry. So that is just me remembering how to adjust properly and the tank mature. The DC pump (Cor 15) may not also be high enough at the moment so I have plenty to do still.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't find mine to be noisy at all. As long as the return is under water, all you'll really hear is a grumble from the venturi, and that's only if you're up close. If it's in a stand, don't worry about it.

Jgarcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya see. It’s all about coming together and discussing and helping each other out.
I get along great with Jeff. He told me ppl where calling him asking how loud they are

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is dead quite. I can’t hear anything at all from my skimmer.
Best skimmer I’ve ever owned. VS3-72”

cc52b42887a45d496ec9857340dac0c7.jpg
a55c99affee83f0b0dcc0352e66a487a.jpg
f17b0c9d4e105b857b71b4a905a44251.jpg
39de14450ed390d74e52f4dc9bcde4fb.jpg
c0155e082b3f5d0803e62fe55f0ab4d2.jpg
a618166c58ed1aedcfce97240fd255dc.jpg

I also ordered a custom waste container.
I still have to install my apex optical sensors, but couldn’t resist installing it.
Had him make the flange with a hook for sensor
wires.

cb73fd3e147f51aef43b2ca77a8a8319.jpg
facba22f65693576eeda6c6dbcf68c74.jpg
95e5908c75667c4d3e8722858a222c63.jpg
e5632a73c21fa456ef7f6b19597aa40b.jpg
9b19ae96cd946d27245a20f5a165f207.jpg

I couldn’t be happier with my lifereef products
I will be ordering a calcium reactor to match, later on down the road.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back